RCBS 10/10 Scale

jpbaker

This scale worked great for a while, but now having a problem holding zero....

I can weigh a charge, wait a couple minutes and try again it will be off .2 gr. then inrecheck zero, and yup its off....

What should i check? Contacts look good, could it be the magnet?

TKS
JPB

It WON'T be the magnet.

It will be the knife edges (burred, dulled or rusty) or the agate V bearings (dirty or dusty) or one end of the pivot bar is rubbing against the metal bearing retaining clips or the pivot bar is bent.

It WON'T be the magnet.

It will be the knife edges (burred, dulled or rusty) .

That would be affirmative. Not bad but just a little rust, but more on the side, not on the edge. I cleaned the crystals tonight seemed to help a bit....

What do i do about the knives? Small sharpner?

As far as the pivot bar touching a bracket....very possible, easy for that to happen i guess....

TKS
JPB

"What do i do about the knives? Small sharpner?"

Depends on how precisely you can work AND what "sharpener" you use. It can be done but it's very easy to mess it up worse too! The knives need to be quite sharp, any rounding will make the resistance to beam movement permanant! And replacing that beam these days is iffy, I understand they aren't made by Ohaus anymore.

Actually, you probably don't need to sharpen the edges. Rust flakes make the surfaces 'swell' but, if it's not massive, when the rust is removed the surrounding metal will be lightly pitted but otherwise okay. I would put a drop of gun oil on the knives and rub the rust with a pencil errasure like a sharpener stone. That would likely be enough to remove tiny rust flakes without damage to the sharp edges. (Clean the oil off before using the scale; oil itself won't hurt but it will tend to collect dust.)

"As far as the pivot bar touching a bracket....very possible, easy for that to happen i guess...."

Yep, very. Of course it's very easy to see and correct too. You have, in the opinon of many, the best all around powder scale ever marketed. I got mine in '65, it was a Lyman M-5 at that time but it's the same scale. It still reads the same after having a lot of powder go through that little pan. And it's ready to go that much longer; ain't no digital anything gonna give that kind of service!

Ok, loaded 50rds this morning. Seemes to be working much better. I didnt touch the knives, i cleaned the crystals and am keeping an eye on the pivot bar.

Not a problem. Dead on the whole time. I love the scale and didnt wanna consider getting rid of it, tiz built like a tank!

TKS for the help guys!
JPB

I've never had a problem with my RCBS 10-10 Scale. The few times that thought it may have lost accuracy, I use the test weight and it has always proven to be spot-on accurate. The problem was with my powder thrower. In my opinion, the key is to place the scale in the exact same position on your bench. Mine sits perfectly in my RCBS bench plate (that I use for my case trimmer) and remains accurate. Wish my powder thrower was as consistent. I re-weigh about every 5 or 6 throws and make adjustments as necessary. Guess I'm a bit anal but, my loads are consistent and accurate enough for hunting purposes.

I measure every load I throw from my powder measure. The problem with inconsistency came up when I weighed a load, took it of the pan and reweighed it!

Check zero, and it's off, rezero it, drop a load, recheck it, and zero was off again....

The scale stays in the same place on my bench, it does not get moved....

TKS
JPB

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.