Ravin 500 fps $$$$$ 😱 $3500!!

If you think a deer can't hear, try taking pictures with a camera that has a shutter. They can hear the shutter at almost 100 yds. And the shutter is far more quiet than any bow string/release.

My son shot a deer this year at almost 50 yards (I forgot to tell him how far he could shoot). The bow was sighted for 25 ish yards, so there was a good foot of drop yhat he didn't account for. I watched feom the house as the deer came in and then it turned broadside and I knew he would take the shot. (I taught him to "shoot the apple off the post", or aim just above the leg to hit the heart.) I saw the deer run off and he stepped out and gave a thumb up, meaning "good hit". I saw the arrow stuck in the dirt and we went to check it out. He told me he watched it hit her right in the heart, but the arrow was full of fat and brisket bone. We slowly and carefully tracked the deer so as not to spook it. After about 40 yards we found her laying in a heap. Not much blood on her trail. We took a look at her and the arrow had gone right through her heart and out the bottom of her chest. That explained the fat and brisket bone. The bow was shooting ~360 fps and he was inside a box blind, so she didn't see him. She heard the bow and had time to react, dropping right into the path of the arrow that would have gone cleanly under her belly. She was not alert and her head was up.

The only thing she was able to react to was the sound of the string catch slamming down, and she dropped well over a foot before the arrow got to her.

I can remember my first compound bow, it was a Bear Whitetail Hunter, that bad boy was a screamer I tell you. I practiced a lot and I could hit a pie plate at 60 yds with that bow.
During archery season I was on my deer lease on the side of a hill and the buck I wanted to shoot was my guess 55-60 yds downhill from me. I took careful aim as he stood there broadside and looking at me. I pulled back the 60lb bow, set the sight where I thought I needed it, and let it fly. Of course, the scene went into slow motion as it is today as I reflect back some 40+ years, I watched as my Bear aluminum shaft arrow carrying my Bear broadhead, launched from my Bear bow was air born heading towards the deer of my lifetime, the arc was beautiful as it was nearing the buck of my lifetime. Of course, I could not tell how many feet that wonderful flying setup was from the buck but just before it plunged deep into his ribcage he lowered his body and when the arrow flew over him he stood back up as if he was asking/tempting me if I wanted another try. Of course, I did, so out came another arrow from my Bear quiver but as I drew the arrow back the buck decided not to temp fate twice I guess and he took off.
I don't know for sure what the fps was on it back in the day, but I did a net search today and after finding a pic of the bow I found a video of a man who shot three arrows through a chronograph, 173, 174, & 175 fps, using vintage Bear heavy aluminum arrows and field points.
I never got to pull another arrow back on that buck, but a month later during rifle season, he did not duck under my 7mm Express 150 gr load and he hangs on my wall today.

Attachments

• Bear Whitetail Hunter Bow.png
    Bear Whitetail Hunter Bow.png
    53 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Some guys can't hunt with a vertical bow.
I have a good friend who hunted for drcades with a vertical bow, so yes I get that reasoning.
He was shooting like a 3" group at 100 yards with it.
To me, THIS is why they shouldnt be allowed in archery season. Maybe if they didnt use a scope?

I dont know. I get it, for the guys who CANT hunt with a vertical bow, fine.
But just because someone doesnt want to take the time to get good with a standard bow shouldnt be a reason to allow xbows in archery season.

Just like using a rifle at long ranges- that is one of the things that has always set bowhunters (and long range hunters) apart. Most take the time to get really good with their weapon.

Just my $.02, $5 after taxes...

If you think a deer can't hear, try taking pictures with a camera that has a shutter. They can hear the shutter at almost 100 yds. And the shutter is far more quiet than any bow string/release.
Old Indian saying:
If an ACORN fell from a tree---
An EAGLE can SEE IT
A DEER can HEAR IT
A BEAR can SMELL IT

FALLING FROM THE TREE!

Last edited:
Well there is that, however keep in mind that the deer is most likely within 150 feet (50 yards) or less of where you just let the bolt fly. At 500 fps do you really think that the deer will have the time to, recognize that something is wrong, hear this strange noise, immediately identify it as a bow string and get out of the way in the 3 tenths of a second that the arrow/bolt is in transit to it's location? :rolleyes:

Well there is that, however keep in mind that the deer is most likely within 150 feet (50 yards) or less of where you just let the bolt fly. At 500 fps do you really think that the deer will have the time to, recognize that something is wrong, hear this strange noise, immediately identify it as a bow string and get out of the way in the 3 tenths of a second that the arrow/bolt is in transit to it's location? :rolleyes:
Deer don't know it's a bow string, they just know it's a foreign noise in the woods that scares them and they react. If they react fast enough they can and do lower their body enough to run and by doing so an arrow can fly over them.
Why people argue this when so many have seen it with their own eyes bewilders me. I don't think anyone said it happens every time.

Wouldn't surprise me at all