Ravin 500 fps $$$$$ 😱 $3500!!

Well besides the comfort of a warm blind during those temps in December, you'd never get a vertical bow drawn with all that warm clothing on. I hunt in some of those cold temps in a tree stand and must limit my clothing in order to draw my bow. It's not that staying warm isn't possible while bowhunting in a tree stand. It's being able to shoot the bow when needed. This is where the crossbow shines also. For you guys that want to bulk up to stay warm but can't effectively draw a bow in sub zero temps while bound in clothing, the crossbow won't let you down.
I don't have much of a problem drawing my Matthews verticle bow back, 65lbs, because I practice with a slight bow in my left elbow even in hot weather so when I'm all bundled up I can still draw. The proof in the pudding is I did get a deer 10 yds in front of me and 25' below me, that was a steep angle.

I was trying to put the arrow on the left side of the spine but I shot through the upper vertebrae, into the rib high right, and exited a few inches below that, the deer ran about 50 yds and collapsed. I'm old-fashioned because I still use the Bear Broadheads of yesteryear because I've used Rage & G5 and both failed me. The Rage hit the deer broadside at 25 yds what looked like it was going to be a good heart shot, the arrow bows (I have video of it with lighted nocks and you can see it bow really good) from hitting the deer and then shoots underneath it. Two days later after switching to G5's I shot a turkey at 20 yds and it did not exit. I have shot deer with the Bear Broadheads and they have exited every time and it never has slowed down going through a turkey. Yes, I like the practice broadhead of the mechanical, which I use to practice with but before the season I switch back to the Bear Broadheads to zero in and hunt with them. All this with the same clothes on I described.

1628114884410.png

Ok, Would you pay $3500 for a xbow?
View attachment 288158
I already did, I'm 2nd on Borkholders waiting list. I just received my Burris Oracle X from Wayvern today, should make an amazing combination. Also picked up a Staccato C2 Duo with a Holoson 507C green dot and a Bergara 14R .22 LR trainer last week. Early Christmas presents to myself!

I'm a pretty hard core bow hunter but love as much my rifles and building them and shooting them while on hunts. Here's the thing about bow season in most states. It's offered typically with 4-5 times more hunting days than firearm. To say someone is crazy to spend 3500.00 on a weapon they'd use 60-75 days per season vs 3500.00 for one that your only use two weeks is kinda silly. I can justify spending 3500.00 to build a deer rifle for my home state 16 day hunt but not spend that on a crossbow to use 76 days or 92 if I use it during rifle season. Not really ! It's pretty smart actually to buy the best you can afford if it's what you want.

I already did, I'm 2nd on Borkholders waiting list. I just received my Burris Oracle X from Wayvern today, should make an amazing combination. Also picked up a Staccato C2 Duo with a Holoson 507C green dot and a Bergara 14R .22 LR trainer last week. Early Christmas presents to myself!

So if I tell Loren that you really wanted to hand it over to me, that would be ok?

I would not pay 3500.00 for a crossbow, I would use that on a custom rifle. I own a Barnett BCXtreme that shoots at 365fps, it is very accurate, only cost me at that time 699.00. I would love to own a Scorpyd, but they were running 1100.00+ back when I purchased my Barnett, I thought back then a high end rifle would cost about the same. I would like to shoot one to see how it shoots.

The issue I have with xbows is the frequency of changing out cables and string. Its not like you can shoot as often as you want knowing you might have 200-500 shots on the cables string. The poundage and velocity of the crossbow can determine how many shots you can get. String maintenance, damage from carrying through brush etc can affect lifespan as well.

Before you state you are shooting 1,000's of shots do a shot count and you will be surprised how few you take.

I like to shoot whatever I use a LOT and a crossbow limits that for me. Strings and cables are very expensive to replace. Is it cheaper than a rifle shooting ammo? Yes, but more expensive than shooting a bow where you can get far more shots out of string cables.

Just bugs me that's all.

The issue I have with xbows is the frequency of changing out cables and string. Its not like you can shoot as often as you want knowing you might have 200-500 shots on the cables string. The poundage and velocity of the crossbow can determine how many shots you can get. String maintenance, damage from carrying through brush etc can affect lifespan as well.

Before you state you are shooting 1,000's of shots do a shot count and you will be surprised how few you take.

I like to shoot whatever I use a LOT and a crossbow limits that for me. Strings and cables are very expensive to replace. Is it cheaper than a rifle shooting ammo? Yes, but more expensive than shooting a bow where you can get far more shots out of string cables.

Just bugs me that's all.
On my Scorpyd SLP 165. I have most likely 500 shots easy on strings and over 1000 on cables. Actually never replaced cables on my scorpyd only strings after about 6 or 8 years of use.

Reason i didnt shoot more is that i bought an Excalibur mega 405 years ago and love that bow. New Boo string and its got minimum 500 through it. Just set brace height and i am good to go.

Then I called Loren at Burky and got my 10pt Vapor rs 470. Holy cow love that bow. Cant say about strings and cables on the 10pt as i only have about 100 down range on it. But darn its an amazing bow especially with the sig BDX system.

Both great people to deal with. They both go out of their way to put fantastic packages together for ya.

WYVERN i got my scorpyd from years ago
Borky got my 10pt vapor rs 470

I guess I will try to stick a deer this bow season with the wicked ridge. It shoots really good. Its as nice a shooter or nicer , than anything I sold when I was in the business. Sold Excalibur, ten point, darton, Parker, Horton, pse.....probably a few others I've forgotten.
I think the one I have is the quietest of any I've shot. I think the reverse limbs and amount of string wrap on the cams really absorbs the extra vibration and soaks up the unused energy all crossbows have . I'd love to have the connections I once had in the industry so I could do some shakedowns on these new hyper crossbows. They would have to be something special to make it worth an extra 2800 bucks over what I have now. I suspect they are more hype to separate a man from his money than substance. Verified 386fps with a 425gr arrow and very reasonable noise levels along with knock busting accuracy for less than a grand, the flagship Wicked Ridge is hard to pass up. It's a Tenpoint with a composite track .

No way I'd spend 3500 on a crossbow.

I have a Killer Instinct z355. It was a gift from a friend, and I spent some time tuning it up (trigger job, deburring a few parts, making the safety quiet, etc...) It's a great tool and will shoot through a deer the long way, destroying everything inside the deer. I see no need to go faster, because the bolt is still moving when it comes out the other side of the deer and the extra speed just does more damage to the head when it hits a tree or the ground. I've brain shot deer with it too, and it will drive that bolt right through a deer skull. It's pretty loud compared to the bowtech tomcat that my friend uses. Most of my shots are under 20 yards. Not sure the deer would hold still past 25-30. The doe in my picture was shot on a crisp morning last year with it. You can see where the arrow went in above the front leg. It blew up the heart and both lungs. She went about 50 ft. She was a big deer.

I bought one a while back. It is a loud kinda pop for a bow. It's unbelievably accurate. I shot a doe at 72 yards with it. Complete pass though with grim reaper expandable. Heart shot. Off bipod. Ran 40 yards and crashed. She didn't have time to duck it. I can't pull a compound anymore because of two shoulder surgeries. I shot s compaound for 30 years. Dr said that's what's wrong with my shoulder Oh well old age gets us i guess

Don't thinks it's much crazier than spending $5000+ on a custom rifle though