Ratchet Rifling

Ratchet rifling is similar to 5R/5C. I have both ratchet rifled and 5R and IMO the pros are easier cleaning. They are supposed to be faster barrels. Cons- NONE!! Highly recommended.

I've got one it's 1/13 twist 24" long on a 30-06. I used it last year on a late cow hunt with 150gr E-Tip bullets. Only problem is your more limited on calibers/twist as compare to the 5r barrel or 5c that are offer.

We offer the Obermeyer Style 5-R rifling in select calibers (6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, .30 "Tight", and .308) and have found virtually no difference in velocity, accuracy, cleanup or barrel life between the 5-R rifling and our conventional 4 groove rifling in these barrels. I say 'virtually' because there are differences in every barrel. No two barrels, even consecutive serial numbers made on the same day, by the same machinist, will produce exactly the same velocity or accuracy results.

We have made the 5-R available in select calibers simply because of customer demand. We don't expect any less out of our 5-R barrels as they are made to the same tolerances, uniformity, and surface finish standards as our conventional rifling. But the fact remains that all of the matches won and records set with our barrels have been of the conventional 4 groove rifling. This may change in time, but that is the current trend.

We offer the Obermeyer Style 5-R rifling in select calibers (6mm, 6.5mm, 7mm, .30 "Tight", and .308) and have found virtually no difference in velocity, accuracy, cleanup or barrel life between the 5-R rifling and our conventional 4 groove rifling in these barrels. I say 'virtually' because there are differences in every barrel. No two barrels, even consecutive serial numbers made on the same day, by the same machinist, will produce exactly the same velocity or accuracy results.

We have made the 5-R available in select calibers simply because of customer demand. We don't expect any less out of our 5-R barrels as they are made to the same tolerances, uniformity, and surface finish standards as our conventional rifling. But the fact remains that all of the matches won and records set with our barrels have been of the conventional 4 groove rifling. This may change in time, but that is the current trend.
A+++++++++ A voice of reason,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, not hype!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts