Rare Texas Cobra

Blancoalex

Sorry if pic scares you. When we have "new" people out at ranch and run across Eastern Hognose we tell them this is the "very rare" Texas cobra. It is always fun to hear the responses.

20200410_145008.jpeg

They are intimidating if you have never seen one, we used to have a bunch around this area, I cannot recall the last time I saw one. I would rather see them than a Copperhead or Rattlesnake, if something was going to go extinct, why couldn't it be them two assholes and their stinking cousin the cottonmouth.

They are intimidating if you have never seen one, we used to have a bunch around this area, I cannot recall the last time I saw one. I would rather see them than a Copperhead or Rattlesnake, if something was going to go extinct, why couldn't it be them two assholes and their stinking cousin the cottonmouth.
When I was a kid we called them Spread Nannas don't ask me why other than they flattened their head when ready too strike haven't seen one of those in God knows when

I'll see if I can catch a few in my back property.
Scared the hell out of Jill a few years ago.

The eastern hognose snake exists throughout most of the eastern United States including the eastern half of Texas. Even though it is harmless, this unique snake puts on an extraordinary defensive display when threatened. They will inflate their bodies with air, hiss loudly, and flatten their heads in a cobra-like fashion. The hognose snake feeds almost completely on toads and frogs .Adults are generally 20 to 30 inches in length with the record length being 45.5 inches. The female will lay 60 eggs in the soil in June or July and the hatchling snakes will be six to nine inches long. The hognose snake is a favorite meal of hawks and opossums. Their upturned nose is used for digging in moist ground to look for food. These snakes hibernate in the winter by burrowing into the soil.