Raptor LRSS Varmint rifles

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
As most of you know my business specializes in building long range Precision big game hunting rifles. My two work horse rifle models are my heavy Raptor LRSS (Long Range Shooting System) and my line of Stalker rifles which range from UL to standard weight portable hunting rifles.

The Raptor LRSS has always been my heavy rifle platform chambered in serious long range hammers such as the 338 Lapua and my wildcats based on the Lapua parent case such as the 7mm Allen Magnum, 300 Allen Xpress, 338 Allen Xpress and 375 Allen Xpress and also my monster 300 and 338 Raptor and soon to be released 375 Raptor.

Its design goal has always been focused on precision big game hunting at ranges well past 800 and 1000 yards.

however over the past two years it has been very interesting the number if requests i have had to build customers one of my Raptor LRSS rifles but chamber them in varmint rounds. At first i actually recommended against this as my Raptor receiver is so far over engineered strength wise for such purpose and actually talked customers into my short action Stalker rifles instead.

As more requests were made it got me thinking about it more and more. Varmint rifles are basically competition rifles but intended for targeting small furry targets instead of hunting paper X rings.... And as these requests were for single shot rifles, there was no real issue with the over sized length of the Raptor with the shorter varmint rounds.

So i gave it a try and have since built many for customers. Yesterday was able to test a new Raptor LRSS Varmint in 25-284 and it was simply a pleasure to work with.

2A7A7B7E-C8EC-4950-BDE3-BF7FCFA574CA.jpeg

F1877374-085C-42CA-8B7E-0BC2CDDDF062.jpeg

BF3EF2A8-FEA3-428B-A946-1F45562DE485.jpeg

This Raptor LRSS is chambered in the 25-284 and is shooting the 115 gr berger vld hunting bullet at 3200 fps. This is a relatively mild load. Customer had a large supply of a certain powder he wanted to use which is very accurate and consistent but there is more velocity to be had with several other powder choices.

Accuracy however is truly amazing. Testing this rifle at 600-1000 yards was boring to hit even 1/4 moa sized targets with regularity. At 600 yards the rifle was consistently hitting targets that were barely larger then the center reticle dot on the Vortex Razor gen 2 scope!!

I use my smaller Painkiller brakes on these as they are a better match to the gas volume produced by these smaller varmint rounds. Absolutely zero felt recoil or muzzle jump.

so while this is certainly not the intended design purpose of the Raptor LRSS it is proving amazingly impressive in this role as well. Another one out the door!!