Rapid-Z® Ballistic Reticles

nimrodtracy

What do you guys think about these reticles, or should I learn to dial in the scope? I am just starting out with long range hunting.

Thanks

Tracy

I am no expert at long range shooting but do have a 4.5x14x44 Conquest with the RapidZ 800 and have shot out to 600 yards.

What is the caliber, bullet and velocity you are planning to shoot?

I will say that you will be pleased with the Conquest as far as the resolution and clarity but your question is about the reticle.

Then according to the Zeiss website RapidZ calculator for a RapidZ 800, you can set your scope on 12.6 power and that will be closest to your trajectory.

I have a ballistic mil dot reticle, a TDS reticle, a MP8 reticle with target turrets, 2 Kahles MultiZeros and the RapidZ 800 and the RapidZ 800 is my favorite. Now I'm sure others will chime in and righfully say that if you are going past 600 yards then you need a higher power scope and need to crank turrets. Personally I don't like the exposed turrets for hunting guns but if you are only long range target shooting then that may be the best way to go.

I have a rapid z800 on my 25-06 and mine has to sit just over 10.5 power with my little short barreled tikka t-3 lite and I love it. I shoot an 8 inch gong at 800 yards all the time and the 10.5 power really isnt an issue. I am building a 338 Lapua and I will be going with a turret on that but only because I want to shoot over 800 yards. I think the Zeiss is fool proof and you really cant go wrong. I have a buddy who works for best of the west and he uses huskemaw and loves it but I have no problem shooting anything between me and 800 yards so I guess it kind of depends on how far you want to shoot. I vote Zeiss though.

Thanks, this is some good info. But how do you know if your on 10.5 power or 12.6 or what ever the Rapid-Z calculator says it best for the load you are shooting? Is the power selector ring that precise on this scope?

I looked into both rapid z 600, and 800, as well as the Leupold vxlll L boone and crockett, and Burris FFll bplex.
Im a ''short to mid range shooter''(0-600 on paper) shooting factory rifles with handloads. $ is kinda tight, so I went Burris 4.5x14 bplex for my 270wsm and 300wby. Im very pleased with Burris especially for the price.
I have no hands on experience with the Zeiss Conquest, but I here good things about them, and Im eager to learn more about them for possible future purchases. Id like to know if you have to be set on a specific power for all ranges, or if you can turn it down a bit for the closer stuff(400 ish etc). If you go the Zeiss route, keep us posted on its performance and good luck.

I use many different ballistic and rangefinding reticles for downrange zeroing and rangefinding. Any 2nd focal plane reticle (like the Zeiss and Burris ballistic reticles) can be used at different powers and consequently different subtensions. But if your 1st or 2nd stadia is zeroed at 400 yds. at one power it will change it's zero at a different power. The only zero that remains the same is the one that's located at the optical center (center x-hair) of the scope. That's the whole basis behind the 2nd FP system Zeiss uses--subtension is roughly inversely proportional to magnification, and is the same with any reticle located in the 2nd FP.

No they are not that precise as to give you a absolute setting. in fact the number they give you from the calculator isnt always exact but its close. they tell you how to fine tune it. if your high you turn the power up a little and low turn it down a little. its very easy and once you have your exact power you can leave it and dont touch it or mark it with a pencil or tape it off and use a little model paint or something. this is why it is possible for the rapid z to be so exact without having to use a turret. I have a couple Leupold B&C reticles also and they work good but not as precise always.

Nimrodtracy

As an alternative to changing the scope power, you can run the Zeiss calculator for the ballistics of your particular load and it will tell you the zero crossing for each of the reticle marks at max power. I have a 3.5x10 with the Z600 reticle and I tape the zero range for each reticle mark on my stock. I leave the scope on 10 power and the zero crossings are 3=325yds;4=435 yds; 5=545yds and 6=650yds. Shoot it at each distance to be sure, but the calculated distances were pretty close for my load.

BTW, I love the scope and the reticle. I have not shot it beyond 650yds, but its great for hunting at distances inside 650 - no knob turning

I know of one guy that recently bought one and he loves it. Zeiss makes it easy with their software calculator as you can enter factory loads as well as hand loads. As far as the power setting, I guess you have to experiment on the range until you find that magic spot. (I have no idea where exactly 13.41 power is). I've been reading alot about them and am quickly becoming convinced that I need one atop my .270 wsm. My wife doesn't feel that way though. Keep us posted. I'm really interested in any experience with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.