Rapid Copper Build Up: Interarms Mark X .30 06

General RE LEE

Good morning I inherited a rifle from my late father that is an Interarms Mark X in .30 06. After about 40 rounds copper wash is visible in the lands at the muzzle and accuracy completely falls off. When I inherited the rifle there was some rust in the bore that I was able to remove mostly but I am going to assume there is some pitting in the barrel. The rifle shoots 1" groups on a very clean bore, but copper builds up rapidly. I have to do Kroil/JB Bore Shine to get all the copper out every 60 rounds or so.

Anyone have a rifle that builds up copper rapidly and accuracy falls off quickly after 30-40 rounds? My guess is there is some pitting that captures copper and it builds up quickly but I don't have a bore scope.

Plenty of non-abrasive copper removers out there. Most rifles need a small amount of copper fouling to fill imperfections (which is why we call them "foulers") after thoroughly stripping copper. If this one shoots best on a virgin bore, use Wipe-Out every time you clean. Strips all the copper and powder fouling, just patch it out.

A few months ago I had my 22-250 start doing that. About that same time I got a Teslong bore scope for my birthday. I saw a very rough first few inches of the bore which looked like fire-cracking. When I ran a patch through the bore it felt rough also. I just got it back from rebarreling.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.