Rant about gunsmiths

Most "gunsmith's" these days are just parts assemblers, and unless they can post their custom "builds" on Instagram they don't care about anything else.

If he doesn't want to build off a Rem 700 then find someone else.

True gunsmiths that can actually fix and repair firearms are hard to come by these days.

That comment "I'm not looking to fill someone's pockets" is why he refused to work for you. He has a life and probably a family to support. I own a general contracting company and we get the same type of attitude towards us as well, people always want to try and save money at my expense and I don't understand it at all!!! That boils down to asking a stranger to do something for nothing. All businesses have overhead that has to be covered and people don't generally want to work for free. If a gunsmith isn't able to make money on the parts the $200 or whatever he charges to chamber the barrel will have him working for free on his $10,000 lathe and $20,000 worth of tooling he has probably acquired over the years. Asking him to do the job for less money is like asking a taxi to drive you around but only charge the gas he burns let alone maintenance and god forbid a little profit
When they ask me if I could lower my price, I tell them, let's raise the price. They say why would we do that? I say for the same reason you want to take x amount from me. Some get it ,others don't. Then I tell them I have plenty people willing to pay the going rate and don't need to do work for free.

I've never known a gunsmith that made as much money as even the easier to enter trades. Maybe the big national known guys are, and it's just local guys who make less than a plumber.

It takes a detailed individual who is just a little bit of an artisan, who's willing to work for less money than can be made in almost any other sector requiring similar skills. Quite frankly I don't know why anyone does it outside of love of the trade or retirement side hustle.

That's my beef, I offered to buy a full custom action from him so he wouldn't have to work on a Remington. He still doesn't want the work. Also at no point was I trying to be "cheap" it just makes more sense for a guy like me to acquire parts overtime. I can't just out of the blue drop 4-5k on a full custom

That's my beef, I offered to buy a full custom action from him so he wouldn't have to work on a Remington. He still doesn't want the work. Also at no point was I trying to be "cheap" it just makes more sense for a guy like me to acquire parts overtime. I can't just out of the blue drop 4-5k on a full custom
What you said could easily contradict itself… "acquire parts overtime, I can't out of the blue drop 4-5k on a full custom".
Instead of buying parts overtime, save that purchase in a "build fund". Instead of buying a $600 barrel on day one, put that $600 aside. 6mnths down the road, instead of buying that $800 stock, put that $800 aside with the $600 already set aside. 6 months later, instead of buying that $1,200 action, set that $1,200 aside with the already saved up $1,400…. You see where I'm going with this…..

But…. On the flip side (And this will turn me into somewhat of a hypocrite), I have had customs made both ways. I have sourced some parts (not all) had a custom built and I have let the smith source all the parts for a custom build. Both were great experiences for me.

Based on what you have said. It's hard to determine why the smith didn't want to work with you. We may only know if the actual smith chimed in. Your tone of voice has a defensiveness to it, maybe it was off putting in the conversations and he didn't want to do the work. I build custom fishing rods and have refused work for this reason.

The only experience I have with a custom build was during the supply chain nightmare. A well known GS worked with me in a partnership in securing components for the build. We we're attempting to navigate the short supplies. I was able to secure a barrel and a stock and send it to him. He secured all the other components. Building a good relationship with a very good gunsmith was very important to me. I want them to appreciate my business and reap the financial rewards for doing the top notch work.

I asked him if could get a custom action from this the particular smith and he still said no. He said he , "makes most of him money off parts" which is precisely why I've bought them myself. I'm not looking to fill someone's pockets
Need to find a better Smith.... The good ones are no issue for me. Key is to establish a relationship and keep it maintained....;)

I know your pain, its ridiculous I can't tell you how many times GS's have not been as truthful as the should be and take on projects that they have no business saying they can do, makes me want to spit blood. Then the ones that can do the work are so booked up its gonna take at least 6 month to a year to get simple stuff complete. Rant over!

Proof barrel, Remington action, manners stock, terminator break stick is inlayed for barrel and action. I don't think I'm being unreasonable.
A lot of smiths are scared of a carbon barrel. The last rifle I had re-barreled got screwed up by someone who wasn't familiar with carbon barrels and didn't say it.it wasn't how I wanted it so I ended up buying a new custom rifle, so I guess that rebarrel cost me about five grand.

Whose name is ULTIMATELY on the "finished product"? Doesn't matter if you think you have "all the parts" or even "quality" parts. His name, his reputation, his livelihood is on the line for every single build or repair. Craftsmen will choose to protect and defend their reputation. One so called " crappy" build or repair can have serious consequences to their livelihood.

I assume everyone here wants to retire someday. So does the smith. His job doesn't have a 401k, health insurance, sick leave, maternity leave, time off for grievance if a loved one dies, let alone a pension fund. Should I go on? If you want a smith to spend 10 hrs building your rifle with the parts that you supplied for $500 dollars and cover all those things that are required to do the job plus cover his living expenses, then you will have to find one that has not figured this out yet.

Our smith that also works with us in the shop does very good work. I keep telling him doesn't charge enough. He will work with supplied components but expect to pay a fair wage for his shop time and you can expect a good quality job. He is Hoover Precision Rifles. Eric Hoover is his name and you can call him at 406-314-9666.

I assume everyone here wants to retire someday. So does the smith. His job doesn't have a 401k, health insurance, sick leave, maternity leave, time off for grievance if a loved one dies, let alone a pension fund. Should I go on? If you want a smith to spend 10 hrs building your rifle with the parts that you supplied for $500 dollars and cover all those things that are required to do the job plus cover his living expenses, then you will have to find one that has not figured this out yet.
PREACH!!!!!!