Rant about gunsmiths

Blueman

Sorry for the rant, but why is it sooooGD hard to find a smith and have them work on you stuff. I talked to a well known smith today and the guy really rubs me the wrong way. He will "only work on new rifle builds". I have all the parts that would go together perfectly, but he won't do it. He , "makes moldy of his money on parts" seems like a rip off to me. I've talked to other smiths and each and everyone has their little quirks. Is my money not green or worthy? I just don't understand. Rant over

Sorry for the rant, but why is it sooooGD hard to find a smith and have them work on you stuff. I talked to a well known smith today and the guy really rubs me the wrong way. He will "only work on new rifle builds". I have all the parts that would go together perfectly, but he won't do it. He , "makes moldy of his money on parts" seems like a rip off to me. I've talked to other smiths and each and everyone has their little quirks. Is my money not green or worthy? I just don't understand. Rant over
If you were a Gun Smith you would know the answer. There are still a Gunsmith Shops that will do all GS services. This is because it has a GS that has a wealth of knowledge and $$$$$ in equipment. These Gun Smiths are becoming very RARE.
Some Brands of firearms or the age of the firearm may not be worth working on. Then you have the customer that is dissatisfied, and you didn't make any money off of the job.
If you look at all the top GS now they are working on high end components and turning out high end precision firearms. It pays a lot more to manufacture a high end precision firearm than working on a firearm that may be giving you issues and take twice the labor and half return.
Seems to me that if you are going to several Gun Smiths and they are all not wanting to work on a firearm there is a reason. I don't know anyone that will turn down money if it is a good project.

My local is a really well educated, experienced smith and very good as a general service guy. Problem?? He's absolutely swamped,... always. His biggest complaint? People want to save everything and anything. There just aren't parts for "everything" any more and the cost to fabricate them makes doing that kind of work untenable. Not speaking directly to your situation when I say that one needs to consider what they've got as to whether or not a smith might even consider taking it on. Because they are becoming a rare bird, the multi-purpose guys are overburdened and to keep their regular customers happy they have to refuse the odd, the unknown and the irreplaceable. I have three builds in two shops with recent & modern components and I'm going to be waiting a year to a year and a half to see a finished product.
End of personal experience... :confused: :rolleyes:

What are your parts that will "go together perfectly"?

Some gunsmiths have a hard time taking a multitude of parts from a new customer that they have zero control of, or knowledge of their history. Because, if the parts are of inferior quality, they are still responsible if the rifle doesn't shoot after they are complete. I know gunsmiths that will not do work on certain brands of actions, barrels, etc.

It would be the same if a customer goes to a custom ammo manufacturer and brings their own components. If you bring cheap mixed brass, the wrong powder, lousy bullets, and crappy primers, do you still expect the ammo to shoot in the .2s?

I dont think it's that unusual that he doesnt want to assemble your parts.
No different than taking your pickup in for repairs but bringing the parts along.
A little different with guns and probably a auto shop. If you have high end auto parts and it is not a dealership and local shop i am sure they would put them in. But even the local shop will not put on inferior parts.
Likewise goes for firearms parts. You bring me a Kriger Barrel, Impact/Defiance Action We will chamber for you depending on the caliber and twist rate. Even if someone brings us the BEST of the BEST components and they don't match for the caliber to the action or the twist rate is off.
I would ask what their expectation is for the build and then say if it is doable and what results they may get. Would not want to put together a rifle with the d components and then completed the rifle would not shoot due to a caliber rifle twist miss match.
We recently at the end of 2022 had some friends want us the take older WWII rifles and make them into something they were not. Now some of these older rifles can be made into beautiful Sportsters., But can and a lot of work involved trying to get back to original worth woodwork, Bluing hard cast and Case Hardening. A lot of processes gone due the cost and EPA Reg., Does anyone know how hard it is to set up tanks of chemicals (that are really expensive) to "BLUE" a firearm and parts, every part has to be degreased, cleaned, and highly polished. Same goes for the rifle barrels and action, Now we are doing Creskoating. The setup is very expensive, the cerakote is very expensive, the equipment is expensive, the schooling to cerakote is expensive. THEN ALL THE COSTS OF DUING BUSINEES, Taxes, Licensee, Building Rent, FFl, EPA shipping and a dozen other costs.
We do it for the fun and being able to make our oun firearms and not put up with other GS. Never make any money. We give our more free services just to help the community.
Anyone getting into GunSmitting now and thinks they are going to make a million dollars has to have at least $2 million in the bank to start so when they loose the first million they have the second to fall back on.

If you have all the parts........ Why not do it yourself...????... thats what most people do......

If you have all the parts........ Why not do it yourself...????... thats what most people do......
Disagree. Most people do not have access to a lathe or means to chamber a barrel/blueprint an action. That's why I started going to aftermarket actions and Prefit barrels because gunsmiths have stopped assembling rifles. I'm able to buy all the parts at a discounted rate throughout the year but mostly around Christmas time … saves me hundreds of dollars each rifle. But I will say when I want a specific chamber cut, you have to send it to a gunsmith who is willing to do just a barrel. Harder to find nowadays

Proof barrel, Remington action, manners stock, terminator break stick is inlayed for barrel and action. I don't think I'm being unreasonable.
I see the problem. Remington action. He could do the best job possible and it might still shoot like a turd. If you had a known quality action and trigger he may have been willing to do it.

I see the problem. Remington action. He could do the best job possible and it might still shoot like a turd. If you had a known quality action and trigger he may have been willing to do it.
I asked him if could get a custom action from this the particular smith and he still said no. He said he , "makes most of him money off parts" which is precisely why I've bought them myself. I'm not looking to fill someone's pockets