Rangefinding binoculars - Leica Geovid 10x42 R vs …

FarmD

Looking to upgrade binoculars and considering built in rangefinder.

Are there others in the $1000 - $1500 that I should consider?

Thoughts on the Geovids for those that have first hand experience?

TIA

I've kicked around the idea a few times. I already have Zeiss SF so it's hard to justify. In the research I've done there's an awful lot of people that like the Zeiss RF. They're nowhere near your desired price range unfortunately.

Geovids- used these for years...LOVE THEM! I'm a guide so when I say I have used them, I have used them. Just got a second pair. Excellent glass. Can see very well in low light. I'm always able to distinguish bucks from doe earlier than anyone I'm guiding with their binoculars. You see them pop up for sale sometimes in your price range on here or you can get the older model new for $1500.

I've kicked around the idea a few times. I already have Zeiss SF so it's hard to justify. In the research I've done there's an awful lot of people that like the Zeiss RF. They're nowhere near your desired price range unfortunately.
Yes sir, pretty big jump from these to the swaro el or Zeiss RF. Having a hard time justifying the jump for my purposes while hunting here in the SE and a trip west every few years.

I had Leica Geovids circa 2005 (?) I found them to be too heavy/bulky for all-day glassing and were cramping my style.
I sold them and went with Leica Ultravids 10x42 and a separate Leica CRF1600 rangefinder. I upgraded to the Noctovids 10x42 a few years ago.
I see that Leica has really trimmed the weight with new Geovid design.

I'm a fan of the Leica. I have Geovid 10x 42, and yes it is true their glass is better. I have a Nighforce spotting scope and the Leicas do just about as well for these old eyes. Obviously over 700-800 yards there is a difference. I take many people hunting every year and hunt some myself. We also are cattle raisers, so they ride in the pickup all the time. I've pretty much quit using anything else. Very durable and excellent glass. Mine came from Cameraland and were refurbished. Yep, I would do the same thing again.

I purchased my Leica five years ago based upon price point. Their optics are comparable to those your considering. Warranty is similar with all models. Never had any issues for need of warranty. I use my Leica in Az and Texas for all my hunting. Use a very good harness to eliminate weight issue. Great low light visibility and eye adjustment focal plane is great as I have a stigmatism for crisp view. I don't like the way the lens cap don't stay on. Removed them and carry a soft cloth to clean lens during hunt and replace caps at end of the hunt or storage. I own swaro but to heavy to carry. Range finder in Leica is right on with temp slope and barometer.
can't go wrong with either model brands but for me it was cost vs use over the year and I love my Leica in the field or in a stand. I know you'll choose the right brand for your needs as I did.

I'm a huge fan of the Zeiss 10x54 RF's. With the large objective, they've been unbeatable for low light. If you want smaller, there's a 10x42 model. The ballistics program, bluetooth, and built-in weather station make them a true, one device, piece of equipment. Also, they'll range soft targets to 2500 yards! The downside is they're more than double your price range.

I have Leica Goevid 10x42 only problem I have is when the temperature gets in the teens they won't work. My friend had a pair of Zeiss they worked fine. Had to keep them inside my coat for them to work.

Hi guys, I've had a pair of Geovids for some years now, they would be the best investment ive ever made. My best advise to anyone looking at Leica bino's is to take them out into the open, (Yard or scrub) and look into the darkest patches of scrub, i think you'll be supprised as to the depth of vision. I've found this asspect of Leica bino's a huge game changer. Hope this helps.

Leicas have great glass, but their customer service sucks. Both of my African PH's last month said they wouldn't ever buy Leicas again because of their issues....... YMMV.
Bruce

I have the Leica 10x42 hd-b 3000 and have to say if you want good glass the Leica is it. Good glass lets you spot your target, as well as gives you mirage for a wind call. And the Leica has amazing quality glass - I compared it with my Swaro SLC 10x42's and it was a bit sharper in the center than the Swaros, though the Swaros have a slight advantage in low light. The Sig glass is not even close.

The range finder on the Leica is also first class - very accurate and very fast. From a tripod or stable hold you can range very small targets.

The Leica will give you pressure/temperature you can feed into a free phone app up front as well as range and angle adjusted range. It just does not take that long to dial in the range or just refer to a dope chart.