Rangefinders

Prairedog223

Hello, I was wondering what is the best rangefinder on the market for around 200 bucks. I want it to be able to go out to about 600 or 700 yards, still be able to range things, have good quality and isnt going to break. What do you think?

I don't have to think, I know. Save your $ and get a Lieca 1200 or 1600. Your better off with dead reconing than a $200 range finder.

Your better off with dead reconing than a $200 range finder.

Huh? Dead reckoning is a VERY old school (pre-GPS) NAVIGATION technique (essentially, it is "plan B", when it's too cloudy at nite to see the stars) that tells you the HEADING that you need to be on, NOT the range at which your target "bogies" lie (I'm not talking golf here)!

But I think I understand the "statement" that you trying to make. I have the infamous ranger eye 1500 (ATN), with all of its "quarks", let's call them. Every time it starts acting up on me (like for instance when the display blanks out, and won't come back up for a good minute or so - or it unexpectedly switches to meters), I curse and say to myself that I should have bought an (bushnell) Elite, or at least a Pinseeker w/slope, instead.

But you imply that THEY also NFG?

Last edited:
Anyone that buys ANY rangefinder for $200 expecting to range 600 or 700 yards is in for a disappointment. And then you add " Good Quailty and isn't going to break" to your quest. Well, you have been given the best advice already. Save you money until you can get a Leica 1200 CRF or a 1600. They are the best value out there in lowr priced units, and they work well!

If a good used unit appeals to you you can at times snag a Leica 1200 CRF on this site for about $425~ $450 and the older Leica Rangemasters in 900 or 1200's for less.

Sorry, this is as cheap as it gets if you want something that will meet your requested requirements.

Jeff

I have a $200 Bushnell Scout. Great little rangefinder, if you're archery hunting in the timber.
Nothing but a paper weight in the sage of WY. No matter how much I wished, prayed, or cussed, that *** wouldn't range a **** thing over 100 yards. Not even the side of a hill.

That sounds terrible! Notice that I DIDN'T mention the scout model though. Maybe it took an excessive G-shock (dropped onto a hard surface), or something. I don't think ANY range finder should be THAT bad. My RE1500 (waterproof) IS actually beyond the 200 dollar price range though, at 300. It's supposed to have + or - 1 yard accuracy at up to 1500 yards, but it WILL range to roughly 100 yds or so past 1500. It is NLA though, at this point in time.

I have a Bushnell Legend 1200 ARC. It was less than $250 on sale, as I recall. I've ranged deer and cattle with it out to nearly 500 yds. It won't range a white outhouse at 1,000 yds, though.

It doesnt matter what you get in the $200-$300 price range, they are all the same.

If you want quality, it will cost you more. If you want reliability, it will cost you more. If you want 1000+ yds, it will cost you more. If you want warranty, it will cost you more. If you buy a $200-$300 range finder, it will cost you more.

Go to a store that has them on display and will let you try them outside with a salesman. Its the only way unless you know people that have what you are intested in. You need to see for yourself.

1000 ARC is a piece of crap. Won't range White Tail Deer past 350 Yds. The longest reading i've got with it is 600yd on a glass building so....

Listen to Broz, he's done the research and testing on alot of RF units and thanks to him I saved alot of $ by going straight to what works which is the Lieca 1600. There are better units but for the average hunter the Lieca gives dependable and repetable readings,even on small targets, at long distances.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.