rangefinders??

brianjohnson

what in your own humbled opinions would be the best rangefinder and wind checker? and where can i find one of those cool little bags on the comb of these rifles

You're probably going to get a bunch of opinions on this. If you do a search, you will find more than one thread about "best rangefinder" Here are my votes:

Rangefinder: Swarovski

Weather Station: Kestrel (many models to choose from, I like the 3500)

Get out your wallet!

I have used Leupold, Swarovski, and Leica and from my experience the Leica is the best. Reads farther and Im not positive but the laser beam or whatever seems smaller so easier to pick out your target at long distance.

You're probably going to get a bunch of opinions on this. If you do a search, you will find more than one thread about "best rangefinder" Here are my votes:

Rangefinder: Swarovski

Weather Station: Kestrel (many models to choose from, I like the 3500)

Get out your wallet!

Me too, on both counts.

I also have a Leica. It has a smaller aiming circle, which is nice. The button on the Leica is nicer and easier to push. BUT.....The Swaro will reach 300 to 500 yards further......every time!!!!

Lots of opinions on rangefinders. I use the Leica CRF 1200 and like it. I've heard a lot of good feedback of the Swaro too but haven't tried it. I would assume both are good and have pros and cons. The main thing is to get a good one. I started off with the $250 or $300 model and it worked for a couple years and gave out. If you are serious about all of this, buy once. I am starting to look at wind meters as well. I haven't stepped up to the plate but getting close. I did pick up one of the $30 or so dollar Caldwells and it at least got me into the game. No comparison though to a good one I'm sure. From what most have said, the Kestrell 3500 seems to be the most common choice. Good luck!

thanks guys.. i was hoping someone would say cheaper but i would rather buy once and buy right.. and still yet does anyone know where I can get one of those little bags on the comb of the rifle? I dont even know what they are called

Just went through that same question and I ended up going the cheaper route. I bought the Leica 1200 CRF because what I saved by buying it over the Sworoski will help pay for the Kestrel and I really liked the portability of the Leica. It all depends on how far you shoot. I used the Leica 900 this year and although it worked great I found it lacking in range to do just that little bit more. So far the Leica 1200 CRF has given me that little bit more. I'm sure that there will be times when a little bit more than the 1200 can give me will be wished for but I will also find that the savings in weight will be more than appreciated at times. Its just a matter of need and want. The 1200 hit that happy medium for me.

You can find the stock packs here

You can pick a Kestrel up from the same place (here)

I have a 4500NV and thought I paid a bit less for it, but a google search should start to turn up the best prices.

Lots of info on this forum if you do a search.

I have two Swaro Laserguides and one Leica CRF 1200Y The swaro will record longer distances but it has a larger beam devergence and reticle than the Leica. The larger beam can give you inaccurate readings on flat ground. I carry both daily and from hillside to hillside out past 1000 I will use the swaro. Yesterday I was ranging 2 yotes in a wheat field and the Leica shined. Some of us have been having some issues with the buttons and circuitry in the Swaro. I am going into my 3rd attempt with them to fix it. But they will stand behind their product.

So here is what I have to advise. For out to 1000 yards, with best accuracy and price and product reliability... Leica 1200 CRF Y they come in yards or meters so make sure you get a "Y" modle if you want yards.

Weather meter,, go for the Kestrel 3500 , I have a 2500 and it does not have the humidity. Humidity is not a bid deal but for the few $$ more you may as well have it.

Jeff

Like others have stated, you will find differing opinions on rangefinders. However, I think most agree that both the Swaro & Leica 1200 are the clear winners above and beyond the competition.

Weather station: Clear winner is the Kestrel.

If you watch the "Group Buy" section on Sniper's Hide | For the serious tactical marksman you can sometimes find a group buy on these items.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.