Rangefinders

I have the Sig Kilo5K. It works well, I don't have a kestrel, in the instruction book it says it will connect with the kestrel. It blue tooths to my phone and scope. I have ranged to 3200 yrds without any problem. Seems to be fast and good. I haven't used the Gunworks one, but I have used a lot of the other brands and I am impressed with the new sig. I use the rangefinders mostly for hunting.

what was you ranging at 3200 yards ?

jimbires - A little 8x8 metal building on a gas well site. It was the farthest thing that I could see. I was impressed that it would range that far. I was ranging deer at 1850 yards. That was pretty cool to see it do that. I have never had a range finder even close to the Sig Kilo5K. After last elk hunt, when I couldn't range an elk at 450 yards, I decided I need a new range finder, (I think it was because it was so bright and the reflection off the snow, but I don't really know.)

You'd be surprised. Just because they are half the price, doesn't mean they are half the quality.
I don't just throw opinions out...It is my experienced! I bought Razor HD 15x Binoculars and they aree half as good as 10x Leica. Compare them at dusk or dawn. ANything works in the middle of the day, even tasco.
Sometimes you get what you paid for, some times you get less...My opinion, with my eyes, Vortex, you get less!
Take the USAF chart and compare them
If they are better in your eyes, that is all that counts. They are not in mine!

Attachments

• USAF.pdf
    19.2 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:
We are talking about rangefinders. Not 15x binos. The Fury 5000 LRF is a very good option for a LRF binos.
I am talking about the quality of glass in general. I can put Leica range finder against Vortex anytime! I have not experience with other range finders. Inmy eyes, the only thing Vortex has going for them is warranty!
If you are happy with them, that is all that counts.
Me? I will never spend another dime on them! If I dont have the money for high end, I buy Burris, then Zeiss,,,then when I have the cash move to the big boy....Nightforce, Swarovski,..personal experience...not internet reviews. Leupold covers a range..from low to higher end

Last edited:
So you have used the Fury 5000 rangefinder? Not other LRF but that specific model.

I ditched the 3500.com for the Revic BR4 from Gunwerks. The 3500.com and kestrel worked great when it worked but I simply couldn't be confident in it always connecting.
The BR4 has been awesome and the wind function has been great in hunting situations that are sub 1000 yards.
When doing ELR shooting and I have the luxury of time I still use the kestrel in conjunction with the BR4.

Revic also has a kestrel type device in the works that will pair with the BR4 in the future from what I understand.
I have the BR4 as well but I find it very hard to spot animals to range after glassing them even elk at 1100 yards do you have this problem as well. The glass in mine I feel is horrible.

I use the sig 2400abs . it works well in good conditions out to 2000 ,maybe a little slow but it reads it . 2100 is pushing the limit . depending on lighting conditions it could fail to range at 1500 , maybe closer . our range faces east . the morning sun can really screw us up .

I've been trying to get with another forum member that has the 3500.com and 5700 AB , to see how it works under the same conditions as my sig . we just can't seem to get on the same page , maybe this summer .

I'm anxious to see what other guys are using too .
So Jim.
Im of the opinion that you use the same range all the time?
If so, why wouldnt a few sighter shots suffice?
Could it be that my very old mind is confused about the importance of things like first round hits?

Vortex makes binoculars with a 5000 yard rangefinder with applied ballistics built in. I have the Vortex Fury 5000 without AB and they are awesome. I bought them before the AB version came out.
I have the fury 5000 AB. I love them.

Vortex is not in the same universe as Leica!
Will Leica give you a ballistic calculation on their own ? that's why they pair with a Kestrel. I do not want to carry two pieces of equipment if I don't have to.

Will Leica give you a ballistic calculation on their own ? that's why they pair with a Kestrel. I do not want to carry two pieces of equipment if I don't have to.
Mine is old, 1600B model. I comes with 10 or so build in tables. You select the one that is closest to yours, set it as default, and when you range, it gives you the coorection. I do not know what they offer now.
My standard test for any optic, whether ranging, glassing or shooting, look through it in low light, how they work with your eyes.

Vortex is not in the same universe as Leica!
I would have to agree with the statement, and as mentioned earlier a big part of me buying the Vortx fury binoculars is the warranty!most other manufacturers, have a one-year warranty and on complicated (expensive)electronics I feel better with a Vortex warranty.

I would have to agree with the statement, and as mentioned earlier a big part of me buying the Vortx fury binoculars is the warranty!most other manufacturers, have a one-year warranty and on complicated (expensive)electronics I feel better with a Vortex warranty.
Their warranty is phenomenal. I wanted to send my binos in, I just send an email, didn't even call, right away I had a reply with all the information to send it in, and they promply repaired it and sent it back.