Rangefinders

COBrad

I replaced my old G7 BR2 rangefinder with a Leica 3500.com and Kestrel 5700 Elite AB. The Leica is a good rangefinder but will not work correctly with the Kestrel. I have a 1300 yard range and plan to try bag a marmot at a mile this next fall. The Leica/Kestrel works best if I leave Bluetooth off, get my range and enter the distance manually. What are you experienced ELR shooters using?

Vortex makes binoculars with a 5000 yard rangefinder with applied ballistics built in. I have the Vortex Fury 5000 without AB and they are awesome. I bought them before the AB version came out.

I use the sig 2400abs . it works well in good conditions out to 2000 ,maybe a little slow but it reads it . 2100 is pushing the limit . depending on lighting conditions it could fail to range at 1500 , maybe closer . our range faces east . the morning sun can really screw us up .

I've been trying to get with another forum member that has the 3500.com and 5700 AB , to see how it works under the same conditions as my sig . we just can't seem to get on the same page , maybe this summer .

I'm anxious to see what other guys are using too .

Brad,

Will the units not pair at all or do they continue to drop connectivity? So when on, they are not staying connected?

I have my kestrel set to shut off after 15 minutes and the 3500 shuts off within a few seconds after use. I haven't experienced any issues as long as both units are awake. I haven't had any issues with the 3500 being asleep and the kestrel on when I pull up to range. It usually only takes a second to reconnect.

I ditched the 3500.com for the Revic BR4 from Gunwerks. The 3500.com and kestrel worked great when it worked but I simply couldn't be confident in it always connecting.
The BR4 has been awesome and the wind function has been great in hunting situations that are sub 1000 yards.
When doing ELR shooting and I have the luxury of time I still use the kestrel in conjunction with the BR4.

Revic also has a kestrel type device in the works that will pair with the BR4 in the future from what I understand.

I've spoken with both kestrel and Leica since my first post. Leica had me reset the ping rate in the kestrel to 2 seconds instead of the default of 5. That helped with connectivity but after a half dozen or so ranges the corrections displayed on the Leica are not in the correct format and the numbers don't match the correct data displayed on the kestrel. They sent me back to kestrel as the problem seems to be with that unit. Kestrel said they had one other report of the same problem earlier in the week and after my report they were able to reproduce the problem. They said they don't have a fix yet but engineers are working on it.

I use the sig 2400abs . it works well in good conditions out to 2000 ,maybe a little slow but it reads it . 2100 is pushing the limit . depending on lighting conditions it could fail to range at 1500 , maybe closer . our range faces east . the morning sun can really screw us up .

I've been trying to get with another forum member that has the 3500.com and 5700 AB , to see how it works under the same conditions as my sig . we just can't seem to get on the same page , maybe this summer .

I'm anxious to see what other guys are using too .
Not sure if it help but my sig kilo2000 ranges better in the fog than my Leica hdb2000 but the Leica wins everything else just not in the fog

The SIG BDX binos and the Kestrel are a very good match....And pair well together...Glass quality in the binos is the only thing really lacking....

My Leica geovids hdb2000 will range well past a mile but if there is any small amount of fog they won't do it just give me about 47 yards from reflecting off the fog
Has any one found the newer geovids to work better in this situation. Because my sig kilo 2000 will shoot 800-1000 in the same situations I think the geovid may just have a larger laser beam or something

Leica told me the 3500.com has a more powerful laser than the geovid 3200.com is running. Connection with the kestrel will be the same as the 3500

I have the Sig Kilo5K. It works well, I don't have a kestrel, in the instruction book it says it will connect with the kestrel. It blue tooths to my phone and scope. I have ranged to 3200 yrds without any problem. Seems to be fast and good. I haven't used the Gunworks one, but I have used a lot of the other brands and I am impressed with the new sig. I use the rangefinders mostly for hunting.

The Vortex Fury 5000 will work with the Kestrel and has a great rangefinder. Have friends out west that have hit rocks at 3300 yards. I have used mine out past a mile. Good strong laser.