Rangefinders

ramrod79

So I decided to upgrade my BR2 rangefinder to the 2500 to find out that they are discontinued. What's everyone using for a ballistic rangefinder i tried a Sig when they first came out but didn't find it as user friendly as the G7 but maybe I will have to go back to that one any suggestions on a good ballistic rangefinder.

What are wanting it to do? Just range, give you ballistic data, etc. How far do you want to be able to range?

I think Sig has ironed out some of the kinks that they were experiencing when they first came out. I personally have been pretty happy with the 2400ABS. Once I set it up (did use a youtube video to help) it really is plug and play. I range my target, it gives me the dope, I dial, I shoot. The most I really mess around with after that initial set up was building new rifle profiles and making sure I switch between them on the rangefinder itself.

I run the sig 2400ab as well.
It uses applied ballistics, so that's the info you'll get from it.
I like it really well, I'd like the beam to be little tighter, but it works just fine. I ran it next to a plrf 10 out to 2900, it was within a couple yards all the way out.
Some of these new range finding binos are getting my attention, it'd be nice to have that magnification and clarity when you get out there. There's only so much they can do with glass that small.

Leica 3500 seems to work pretty well, ballistic program runs very well, throws solutions out to around 1000+\-. Pure ranging I can pick up large objects to 3200ish, not sure how accurate since I have nothing to reference it to

Zeiss RF binos. Syncs to their ballistics app. I think the app could be a little more comprehensive, but it works. Great glass as well!

The Sig 3000BDX bino has good glass, ranges over 3k on reflective targets, links to your kestrel and provides your come up and wind hold in the internal display. I like it and use it all the time.

I switched over to the Sig 3000 BDX binoculars. The optics are okay but not great. Easy to load ballistic profiles on the phone and link with the binoculars to change profiles. I also have a gen 1 G7 BR2. I like the binoculars so I don't have to carry the additional piece of gear and switch back and forth while glassing. I do not have a Sig BDX scope so that wasn't a factor in purchasing. There are some decent sales on Sig range finders from time to time.

I have a Kilo 3000 BDX and really like it. No, the optics aren't as clear as some very expensive top end binoculars but having a good range finder with a solid ballistics engine internal of the binos is more important to me.

The 3000 BDX will solve for drops and windage out to 800 yards without a Kestrel, with the appropriate Kestrel you can get solutions out to the max capability of the range finder. They advertise 3000 yards capability but I've read that you can actually resolve longer ranges on some reflective targets with a tripod. I've actually ranged elk and bear out to 2400 yards without a tripod.

Just for information my Leupold 1200 range finder seemed to slighty fade after 2yrs and when I called Leupold they told me it was out of warranty and there was nothing they can do. So I bought a Vortex and it's got a life time warranty even if you don't own it anymore.. Just say'n

My fear with binocular rangefinders is that they are always going to be a compromise. With the stand alone range finder I don't expect the glass to be amazing, just functional, but I want the AB or other quality calculator. With binoculars I want amazing glass, FOV, and my choice of magnification. You throw a laser, glass, and a ballistic calculator in there and I feel like one of those elements is going to be inferior. Unless you start shelling out real big money, when you package them together you get the lesser of both.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts