rangefinder

casey36

Guys im looking for a new rangefinder. Been reading all I can on here and it seems that there is a lot of different opinions. I am thinking Leica, Swaro or Zeiss. Sell me on one. Help me spend some money. I will say up front, I cant afford a G7 or a Terripin. Thanks Folks.

If you can't afford a terrapin then get the Leica, I have a terrapin plrf 05 & Swarovski and my buddy has a pair of Leicas.....the terrapin is the best followed by the Leica 1600 with my old Swarovski in a definite third place.

Do the research to determine which of the ones you can afford has the smallest beam divergence.

I have the Leica 1600 which seems to be the best of that price range. When the sun goes down or before it comes up and on the shade side of the mountain it is top cabin. Usually ranges up towards 2000 yards.

I've learned that when snow and hoar frost is on the trees ya can't range squat. This is where the Vectronix offerings leap ahead. :rolleyes: Nor will mine range a yote @ 700+ yards on the sunny side of the mountain. I'm not a fair weather fella and this burns me up as snow cover around here is from before thanksgiving (some time) well into march.

It will probably be the Leica but I am still open to the others. I am at least two hours from any where that I can try them side by side so im counting on the good folks here to steer me in the right direction Thanks

Leica 1600 CRF for the smallest beam divergence, precise ranging, most accurate numbers returned , small and most visible reticle, fast response, and scan.

I have tested most of the units out there available. I use a Vectronix PLRF10 and have the Leica 1600 for my back up unit.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, Do You use the "b" or the straight 1600CRF? Been looking into both and get the older one a couple hundred cheaper. Is the B model worth it? I know it has a program and shoot to distance but is it worth the extra money. I have a program on my smart phone.

Thanks Jeff, Do You use the "b" or the straight 1600? Been looking into both and get the older one a couple hundred cheaper. Is the B model worth it? I know it has a program and shoot to distance but is it worth the extra money. I have a program on my smart phone.

I am using the older 1600 , I have not gotten far enough into the program far enough to pass an accurate assessment, but lets just say it probably will be of little use to me as I use my phone app too ( Applied Ballistics)

Not I have been looking at the intfo it supplies, baro, temp and shot angle. That might be of use at some point, but for now still using the Kestrel.

In the past week I have been doing a little testing of just the ranging ability of this unit. I have ranged a tree just before dark at 1957, haybales mid day at 1600 + and the other day I was ranging a herd of whitetails over a FLAT snow covered field. It would bang on every deer instantly. The farthest was only 700 yards but it did a great job. I used my Vectronix to proof test as I trust it 100%.

Jeff

I am using the older 1600 , I have not gotten far enough into the program far enough to pass an accurate assessment, but lets just say it probably will be of little use to me as I use my phone app too ( Applied Ballistics)

Not I have been looking at the intfo it supplies, baro, temp and shot angle. That might be of use at some point, but for now still using the Kestrel.

In the past week I have been doing a little testing of just the ranging ability of this unit. I have ranged a tree just before dark at 1957, haybales mid day at 1600 + and the other day I was ranging a herd of whitetails over a FLAT snow covered field. It would bang on every deer instantly. The farthest was only 700 yards but it did a great job. I used my Vectronix to proof test as I trust it 100%.

Jeff

Jeff, your CRF compensates for angle?? I have a 1600crf and as far as I have ever understood, there's no angle correction (so I thought*)

Correct me if I'm wrong.. I would sure like that feature!!! No angle correction is about the only complaint I've ever had with mine*

Jeff, your CRF compensates for angle?? I have a 1600crf and as far as I have ever understood, there's no angle correction (so I thought*)

Correct me if I'm wrong.. I would sure like that feature!!! No angle correction is about the only complaint I've ever had with mine*

Compensates? No, I don't know about that. But you correct me if I am wrong here. I push the range button and get the range then the forward button and I get temp and such along with a reading in degrees. It changes with the angle and goes to a negative number if shooting down.

Like I said, I have not looked into these functions as all I really want is an accurate distance for my ballistics app. But I plan to read the manual to find if these are indeed useful numbers for my app as a back up to my kestrel.

Sorry for not knowing good answers here. Like I said all I really need an RF to do is range and give me an accurate distance to the target.

Jeff

Jeff,

It does as you stated. Mine is the older one also. It gives a hold over after the range reading which is totally useless, at least to me.

After the range reading and the front flatter button is pressed (on mine held for what seems a long time) the look angle, temp in F and Baro press in psia appears.

The conversion factor to "Hg is some thing like 2.03. I multiply by 2 which seems close enough.

What's your experience ranging specific small dark things on a sno covered hill side?

Jeff,

It does as you stated. Mine is the older one also. It gives a hold over after the range reading which is totally useless, at least to me.

After the range reading and the front flatter button is pressed (on mine held for what seems a long time) the look angle, temp in F and Baro press in psia appears.

The conversion factor to "Hg is some thing like 2.03. I multiply by 2 which seems close enough.

What's your experience ranging specific small dark things on a sno covered hill side?

Hi Roy, Thanks I just found this in some specs.

• Atmospheric data - the new Leica CRF 1600 records outside air temperature and barometric pressure.
  • Angle indication - The Leica CRF 1600 displays viewing angle.
  • Data is displayed in the same easily viewed LED display.
For the angle data and others try this to see if it is faster for you. After pushing the range button and getting the distance. Then push the front button once to get a reticle, once you have the reticle get on target and press again to get the angle, temp and baro.

Jeff

Yes I would look at the Zeiss way better for all around conditions.I sold my Leica because it was too temperamental.Light mist or fog did not work very off and on past 600 yrds. In my area weather is always bad in Nov.I have had NO problem at all with the Zeiss.I have went to1542 ydrs on a dull day works great for $549.00.Better than $800.00 for the Leica.

Guys im looking for a new rangefinder. Been reading all I can on here and it seems that there is a lot of different opinions. I am thinking Leica, Swaro or Zeiss. Sell me on one. Help me spend some money. I will say up front, I cant afford a G7 or a Terripin. Thanks Folks.

I would look at the Zeiss I just sold my Leica and bought the Zeiss.The Leica is to temperamental the conditions have to be just right.The littlest amount of fog or mist would not work.My new Zeiss works great in all conditions and the price for the Zeiss $549.00 Leica $800.00.Big difference.A good friend bought the 1600 Leica and his having the same problem I did.We had not talked before he bought.He is also selling.

Yes I would look at the Zeiss way better for all around conditions.I sold my Leica because it was too temperamental.Light mist or fog did not work very off and on past 600 yrds. In my area weather is always bad in Nov.I have had NO problem at all with the Zeiss.I have went to1542 ydrs on a dull day works great for $549.00.Better than $800.00 for the Leica.

Glad to hear you found one that fits your needs. The Leica CRF 1600 is selling for $650 on several internet sites. I field tested a Zeiss and didn't like the hard to see display at times and the thick crosshairs. That is dependent on you target sizes and taste. But the big problem with the Zeiss is the Beam Divergence. It is Huge and even larger than the Swaro. As we have learned this will get you in trouble in some areas, especially with sage brush, rocks and trees like we have where I hunt. Sure the large beamed units return numbers easier, but the problem is it may not be from what you are intending to range.

I was doing a little more playing with my Leica 1600 yesterday on a herd of elk. This was over a completely snow covered grain field. The elk were on the hill side and I ranged the closest at 950 yards. The farthest ones were skylined and the unit did real well out to 1050. Then it did struggle on some at 1150 but would range them about 1 out of 3 tries. The day was overcast but with very fine light snow in the air. I felt it did pretty good. All the reading were correct as I used my Vectronix PLRF10 to verify. I trust the Leica for my back up unit.

Guys I am not looking to argue. Just hoping to help some readers understand that just because you get a reading easier does not make a unit "better". Nor does it mean that the reading is accurate and off what you are intending to range. Many of us on here now have seen the issues and have learned to better use our rangefinders as well. Get that unit on a solid rest, I like sand bags. Remember the beam has to go out and then return. Most of us would not shoot a rifle at 800 or 1000 with no rest. If you want a precise, accurate reading, a large percentage of the time, it is like this. You will need to use a small beamed unit and a rest.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.