Rangefinder REVIEW - NEWCON 2000Pro - Monocular

300rum

OK, I'm back with more info....

1-2 mo. ago I was posting some note regarding Newcon 1500 and Leica 1200 review, and nobody can give me the right answer about
NEWCON 1500-2000Pro.
Finally, today I got my pachage a brand new Newcon 2000Pro, with speed detector and reading in Y and M.
I was happy but in the same time affraid (of getting a wrong rangefinder)
I just popup the rangefinder form the box, and the guys from www.Adorama.com (the best deal for Newcon 2000Pro) already included 2 battery 9V, one recharger, and User Guide).
Wooau. And they SHIP FAST 2 DAYS FROM NJ USA - to Alberta Canada.
So with lots of emotion I open the box, and check the toy.
Size: 12x12x6 cm, weight 0.450 grames (0.5Kg), rubberarmor for better gip and protection
zoom 8x, image cristal clear, with just 1 minor black dot imperfection in lens. (I already verified with the guys form Newcon and they told me It is normal to have 1-2 dots). This is their standars for now.

The weather is in perfect condition for lazering, no sun, constant light, about 7 grade Celsius.
I aim on almost everthing around me, from small cars, dark color to light color, ground far away, big buildings, and with a few exception It was reading everthing.
The farther What I was ranged on small car (dark color) it was 890Yards (I could not find another car at greatest distance for now)
I aim again and again and I got all the time the distance.
Then I switch to the furtest building (concrete, 2 story level, white color paint) and I got 1897yards.
WOOOAAAUU.
I thought I read wrong, again .... 1897yards.
GREAT.
Now I tryed on the next building, brick front, dark color - no reading...
Hummmm.
All the time I was trying to read through my car window.
Now I tryed without, no object between the laser and target.
The same dark building... I got reading after the third aiming. 1789yards.
This is the preliminary review, and please stay close, for further in depth testing.
I will try to see in bright light and also in raining day.

Tomorrow I will go out to see on the field.

Not bad for the same money as a Leica 1200 ($499USD), and with double the distance.
The technical guy form Newcon told me I can read on the animal constant at 1200-1400 yards, and in bright targets (rocks, tree, building, reflecting target) about 2100 yards.

Stay tuned for new posting.

Cris

Thanks for the heads up! This would appear to be by far the best bang for the buck in rangefinderland that I have yet came across. I'll be sure and spread the word! Thanks again,

Cdog.

Glad to see you're happy with it so far. I was wondering how good those newer model monoculars they make are. Like I said, the older models didn't have the best reputation. For the ranges you're getting, it must have one of the newer more powerful lasers in it.

BTW, I've found ranging through glass, especially curved automotive glass, doesn't work all that well. Get out of the car, man! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Hi Jon,

Nice to see you again man...
I did... I did... got out of the car.
But you know me I like to try the hard way all the time?
OK! The guys from Newcon told me I can range through glass.
YAP It works!
This morning I did some more testing. I ranged again in full darkness from my office window. Got 2119yards.

The only negative part till now is ... the black LCD screen.
All the reading are in Black, and not in red like Leica.
So IT IS HARD TO READ THE LCD PARAMETERS AND READ THE DISTANCE IN DARK, OR VERY VERY LOW LIGHT.
AFTER LAZERING I HAVE TO AIM SOME LIGHT POINT (SKY) OR PATCH OF SNOW TO SEE THE READING ON LCD.

I tryed to see the Speed Detector function. I have option to read in MPH, KMPH.

Cris

IT'S ME AGAIN.
Another great function what the new Newcon 2000Pro got is you can setup the parameters to read the NEAREST TARGET, THE FARTHER TARGET, OR AUTO MODE.
NEAREST TARGET: - foe example you see a nice buck close to a patch of tree, the distance between the tree and the buck is 50 yards.
If you aim with this option on, the laser read the first object and not the object behind.

Farther Object: - it is the oposite way, specialy when you try to laser between tree, etc., and you do not want the laser to read all the object between you and the target.

AUTO MODE - the scaner is reading all the time the best reflecting and easy to reflect target.

Another great function is: you can recall the last 10 reading.
How is working:
You got in field, and start aiming different distances, and then wait. After a while you see the buck, or just want to remember some of the reading.
All you have to do is to press the RECALL option and the laser bring back in LCD the last reading. (READ1 - 1120yrd, READ2-800yard, and so on).
NICE very nice option.

Cris

300RUM , I thought Newcon was based in Canada ??? And yet the cheapest Supplier is Adorama in NJ ??? Would you also do the following ....the next time you test out your 2000 : Pick a target at over 1600 Yards ( as far away as you want ) , and CLICK on 10 Times in a row and see what Readings you get . Thanks .

Hi tulku,

It's true they made this in Ontario, Canada, but you could not believe the price what they give me.
$600 CAD + PST + GST + S&H = $700 CAD
and From Adorama - ($487 USD + $32 FAST UPS Shipment) *0.84(conversion USD to CAD) = $617.32 CAD
It is abnormal to be, but this is because of our systems.

Regarding the test what did you ask me I wil post in 1-2 days together with a complex review at post, deer (cows, horses), dog, human, tree, small cars, big truck (light color and dark color) hills, snow patches, trafix sigs, and building.

I want to post all this one at once, but I need time, to catch darkest and brightest day for more accurate reading.

Far now I can tell you I was reading 2210yards on big traffic sign (WHY signs), and on cedar tree 1079 yards, and running big trucks (white color) 1059yards at 110km/h. But I know this are not real situation on the hunting trips, so I will need some days to get all together.
One of my body has a Leica Geovid 15x50 Rangefinder and I want to make a review between this to units, just to know how far or close is to the "BEST IN THE CLASS".

Thanks,
Cris

i've not heard much about these newcon's, but the more i hear, the better they're sounding. anyone else having readings out to 2k or more with the 2k model?

Marry Christmas!

Hi, I'm bach with all the detailed review for this Newcon 2000Pro.

So my friend have a Leica Geovid 15x56 Rangefinder and 2 days ago we were out rangind stuff.
Bottom Line, bouth units are the same in ranging animals and small tree the only differece between this to is Leica stops ranging at 1500yards, and with the newcon I was ranging 2800yards.

1.animals (cows, horses) = up to 950.
2. small fence posts (4 feets) - 1200 yards
2.1 frozen ground with paches of snow - 1100-1200yards
3. small tree - 1500yards
4. big tree - 1850 yards
5. houses 1500
6. building (brick) - 1800 yards
7. reflecting building/ rocks - 2200 yards
8. small cars - 1000 yards
9. big trucks (white color) - 1550 yards
10. traffics signs (hwy signs) - 2000 -2250yards
11. very reflecting objects (junk yard cars) - 2800 yards

*.All this reading was done in sunny day, and of hand, not with the bipod, and I could not find further objects (animals past 1200 yards) to see if the unit work at that distance.
The reading between this to (Leica and Newcon) is was with a difference of 3yards or 4 yards, from the same spot.

It was to situation when I could not range with newcon a tree at 1200yards, but with leica yes.
And also with Leica I could not range a small fence post at 1200 but with newcon Yes.

I already checked the consistency at 2800 yards at the car junk yard, ranging 10 time from the same position and got
2800 - 6 times, and 2804 - 4 times.
I tryed also at 1200 yard and the same with +/- 1 yard

Negative parts:
1. the LCD display shows the reading just in black, not in red like Leica, so in very dark mornings will be hard to see, unles after ranging you move the rangefinder to the sky or white patches to see the LCD letters.
2. The laser bin is very strong, you can hear the laser when you are listen carefully, so the battery will go quick.
3. The newcon 2K use 9V battery, and you will got warning messaage when the battery will be at 7.5V and stops ranging at 7V.
So you will need a recharged battery at 200mA to use the unit 1 week (7 days without changing the battery)
With a normal 9V Kodak or Duracel, You can range 1 day after then you have to replace the battery)

Far now this are the reviews of the Newcon 2000Pro Monocular rangefinder.

Thank you
Cris

Cris , thanks for the detailed Review . Sounds like you got a Winner ! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hi,

Yes it is! I'm so happy with this Newcon 2KPro, but you guys have to thank to John A. because hi is the guy who had one Newcon 3000, and post his review long time ago on this forum.
If I did not read his review, and listen his recomandation to DO NOT BUY A NEWCON 1500 because is a bad rangefinder,
maybe today I did not have this WINNER.

Thank you all for your patience to give me time to get this detailed review.

Cris

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.