Rangefinder Issues

I agree and that's why I'm not happy about it, I don't expect a 2400 yard rangefinder to range everything at 2400 but when they can't get it done on an elk at 1200 in good conditions rested on a sandbag that is ridiculous. They are overrated and Definitely not the best choice for real hunting scenarios. I should be getting my gen 3 BR2500 next week and will test it against the Sig2400 in real hunting conditions and post the results. It definitely isn't my unit because my buddies does the same things.

I'm very interested in seeing this comparison as well. I bought a Sig 2400 last year, just after the BR2500 was released. I could not find any real world reviews of BR2500 at that time, and decided to go with the Sig. I can't complain about the Sig. I have ranged cow elk at just over 1000 yards handheld. I could not range a large bull that was standing behind the cows. I estimated him to be between 1500 and 2000 yards away. I tried for quite a while and did not get one return off him. I've also ranged steel with the Sig. Out to around 1000 yards it's pretty consistent and easy to pick up a steel plate, especially with the tripod mount. At 1600 yards, I had to range bushes/trees around the plate (24" diameter).

So even though I am happy with the Sig for hunting use, I would like something that has more ranging ability for shooting steel. I had a Terrapin in the past, and wish I still had it. The BR2500 might fit the bill too, so I'm really interested in reading your review when you get it posted.

My bench gun 308 Norma is pretty much done past 1400 yards, It is sighted in for up to 1550 yards. From 1500 yards to 1550 yards, the bullet 178gr. Amax drops over 6' . Dropping like a rock. And that gun I don't carry around in the woods. I have a military range finder I use when I shoot over 1000 yards It will range to something like 20,000 yards. That's a little farther than I can shoot. I can see you fellas point. Maybe the 2200 might be better? Hope you all find what makes you smile. Good luck hunting and be safe.

Be aware that laser rangefinders degrade with age. I've noticed it over time on my prairie dog shoots with a couple different ones. Seems after 3-4 years it becomes noticeable. That said, the SIG hasn't been around that long and should still be working well.

I've not noticed any drop off in performance with a rangefinder, my battery's are going on 5 years old in my vectronix and I can still range 4900 yards. My 10 year old licia still does the same it's always done. I would replace the battery if you see it dropping off.

It's not the battery. Keep in mind we're ranging prairie dogs or whatever we can find near them to get a range. The degradation has been very noticeable with mine and my shooting buddies over the years. However if you take those units and try to range larger targets you would probably not notice it. I use my older unit for my elk hunting and it works just fine. I've got a pair of Leica RF binoculars coming so it should be interesting how they behave.

Oldfortyfiveauto what kind of range finders are you talking about. My 20 year Leica lrf800 is as good as new.

The two I have now are fine on larger game, but trying to range prairie dogs and small rocks, etc. near them gets harder each year even off a tripod.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.