Rangefinder for under $500

bryceh12321

Well, I was set on Leupold's RX-IV series, but after reading some pretty harsh reviews I'm not so sure any more. What would you recommend?

Minimum Range of 1000-1500 yards
8x Magnification would sure be nice (like the leupold)
$500.00 tops

Shop for a used Leica CRF 1200 Y / for yards or CRF 1200 M / for meters. You may even find a new one for a little over $500 if you shop hard.

Jeff

Well, I was set on Leupold's RX-IV series, but after reading some pretty harsh reviews I'm not so sure any more. What would you recommend?

$500.00 tops

Maybe you couldget a Bushnell that would reach your distance requirements and price range. The Leca will not aquire 1500 yards

$500.00 tops

There is nothing wrong with the Leupold except the yardage advertised !!!

"None" of the rangefinders will consistently read the max advertised distance on game
even the swaro or Leica. But they will normally read better than the rest but they are
more expensive.

For anything over 1000 yards the Leica or the Swaro is probably the best but you wont find
one for under $500.00.

I like the Leupold's for the price and features and use it for bow hunting and rifle hunting
and most places I can hunt max range is 800 yards or less so it works very good.

Most of the bad press is pointed at the programing (A little diffacult) and this surprises me
because of all of the people using computers to predict bullet impact at different distances
but having difficulty with the Leupold programming.

I have a swaro for my long range hunting and find because of size and weight I always
pick up me Leupold unless I know that I will be faced with Very long distances (Like in
Colorado Elk hunting).

So I would recomend starting with a Leupold if you like them and you will find out that 99%
of the time it will work for you .Then if you must have a more expensive range finder and
need the extra distance get one.

Buy the way there are better range finders than the swaro or Leica but they start around
$2000.00 and go up . They are good for 2000 to 3000 yards.

The choice is still yours and if you don't want to spend $800.00+ then buy a Leupold . But if
you want/need something better go with the Leica or Swaro.

Not much help, but my opinion.

PS: I have used the Nikon's and the Bushnell's and for the money they worked well but had
the same problem as all (Would not reach advertised distance unless it was highly reflective
like a rock) and I don't shoot a lot of rocks.

J E CUSTOM

Here ya go,

New Leica Rangemaster 1200 CRF-Y $525 shipped - Sniper's Hide Forums

I have bought 2 of these in the last year NEW for $550.

But jp475 is correct the Leica CRF may not do 1500 I have only seen 1485 on mine. That was on a tree. But if you want to know how far a deer or elk is, the Leica has a much better chance of giving you a more accurate reading (out to 1000) due to its beam size. The Leica's beam is 2 1/2 feet tall x 6 feet wide at 1000 yards. This is the smallest most precise beam I have found and the reticle is much easier to see, smaller and more precise than my Swaro.

For the $500 limit in my opinion you cant beat the Leica CRF.

Oh, that reminds me I need to call Swaro today, mine is malfunctioning again.:D

Jeff

whats the story on warranty when buying a used rangefinder? i know leupold guarantees their scopes regardless, but not sure of rangefinders. i had a swarovski for 1 season and sold it because i couldnt rely on it every day. we use range cards on our remote lookouts that are established using a barr&stroud. thats not perfect either, but beats getting no reading at all. apperently my swarovski was one of those part time workers, and would have been replaced if i made an issue out of it. im pretty serious about buying another, but would rather not spend $1000 for the damned thing. if i buy a used one i might get my old one back at which time id want it fixed or replaced. thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.