Range update...

wjarrell

I posted last month that my wife bought me a Remington 700 ADL in 7mm Rem Mag for our anniversary. Well after Christmas I had enough money to buy a scope. I went with Talley one pice light weights and a Vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x44. I shot HSM 168 vld, Hornady SST 139, and Barnes TTXS 140. Shooting off a cement bench with a led sled, Hornady shot about a 5 inch group, Barnes shot a 5 shot 1.5 inch group. HSM was the best. 2 shots touching and the third about an inch low, let my barrel cool for about 10 minutes and shot back in to the same group, same thing, 2 shots touching and the third about an inch to the right. The entire 6 shot group measured 1.12 from center to center. Not bad for a gun that is all stock with a spongy heavy trigger. (Timney trigger is next)
I can't wait for load development and to start playing with the 168 vld's.

I know that kind of accuracy doesn't mean anything to most on here but to me it means that my gun shows potential and that makes me excited.

5 shots into just over 1 MOA with factory ammo out of a factory rifle, (IMO) means that you can certainly improve accuracy with a few changes and with handloads. Properly bedding and floating that barreled-action into a B&C Medalist and installing a Timney trigger would be 2 inexpensive upgrades that can make a noticeable difference in performance.

My buddy's 100% factory SPS .300WM can shoot around 1/2" @ 100 with certain handloads. Most of the time it shoots around 5/8-3/4", but it's sub-MOA, which is still acceptable out of a factory rifle, IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.