range results

remingtonman_25_06

I worked up 2 loads today out of my dads new tikka in 7 mag. I used the 150g btip and IMR-4350 powder. I tried 62g and 63g of powder, with a fed 215 mag primer, and an OAL of 3.260". I was a bit dissappointed with the velocity, but the accuracy of the 63g load made up for it. 62g produced a 1 inch group for 4 shots, with velocity being 2860fps. 63g game me a .45" 4 shot group with 2960fps. I was also amazed at the consistency of the velocity. The 4 shots were all with 10 ft second from highest to lowest. Very uniform velocities. I will load up the rest with obviously the 63g load and zero at 200 yards, then shoot some groups at 300 and 500, and my dad will be set up for long range deer.

forgot to add that I did a couple other loads out of my 270 and also cronied them today. I tried 52g imr 4350 with the 140g sst. Gave me a .75" group and right at 2900fps. 51.7g with same sst bullet, gave me a 1.5" group. So i will go up .3g and see what it does for me. I also tried 51.7g imr 4350 with the 140g sbt. it gave me a .680" group at 100 yards. I also loaded up 10 shells at 52g imr 4350 and the 140g sbt. It gave me a .75" group at 100, thats why I did 51.7g to see if it would tighten up the flyer, which it did a little, but I might even go to 51.5g to see if it will get rid of the flyer completely. Anyways, I shot a group with the 52g load of 4350 and the 140sbt at 200 yards and was also zeroing the load at this point. it gave me a 1.6" group and were clocking at 2850fps. once I got them zeroed, I shot a couple empty powder cans filled with water at 300 yards. I used my last 3 shells to fire a group at 500 yards, and it was a 6" group. Not to shabby for throwing some loads together. I'm starting to not mind this .270 one bit. WIth a little time spent and tinkering, I'm gonna get me that .5" group at 100, and hopefully bring my groups down to 4-5" at 500 yards. I only tried 1 other load with the 130g btip as I only had 4 bullets left. My previous load shot 54g imr 4350 into .75", i went down to 53.7g to see if it would tighten up, and it actually opneded it up to 1". I wished I had 3 more bullets and I would go up to 54.3g and see if It would give me a .5" group. Oh well, they were clocking right at 3000fps. I was happy with my velocities considering my barrel is only 22" long, and my dads 7 mag was only getting 2960fps with a 150g and a 24" barrel, burning 11g more powder. he was kinda mad at the velocity and couldn't see why the book said 3200plus, i told him not to expect that and I was right, but with a 4 shot group of .45" i told him not to complain and no deer will know the difference when you put that bullet in its shoulder. All in all it was a good day at the range. I am still not totally done testing my 270 yet, still trying to work out the little flyers that give me a .75" group, im looking for a .5" group. Going up and down in .3g increments really does make a differnce. This is the first gun I"ve tried it with. My 2 bullets of choice right now are the 140g sbt, and the 140g sst. I would rather shoot the sst as its BC is a little higher, and I think it will hold up better in the accuracy field at longer ranges. Time will tell. I'll keep ya'll posted as time progresses.

63 grains of IMR 4350 is Nosler's accuracy load with their 150's in the 7 mag. That load should serve your dad well. Nosler gets their velocity numbers from custom (and hand lapped) Lilja barrels. Their numbers are always high. Speer's velocity numbers are more realistic, I have found. Hodgdon shows good approximate velocities also. IMR's data shows 2931 fps with about 61 grains of their 4350. I think your dad's rifle is doing great--and it will be very effective to 500 yards and even farther on large game. Velocity isn't the "be all end all" of game killing, and according to at least some presumably in the know, too much velocity can actually impede a clean kill. Read this:

http://www.eabco.com/swiftbulletco02.htm I found the reasoning interesting--and the success of the 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser on large game is indeed evidence to support the premise of the article.

On your .270 win... Sounds like it's doing very well for you. You've got a fast barrel there. Many 24" barrels won't make 3000 fps with the 130's and the charge of 4350 you mention.

While on the subject, you should work up to 55.0 grains of IMR 4350 with your 130's. I think you'll find the tried and true accuracy node right there--unless I miss my guess. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Thanks for sharing your data and experience.

Dan

Thats why I picked 62 and 63g for my dads rifle. Nosler seems to be pretty right on for there accuracy loads. As far as my 270 with 130's. I only had like 10 bullets. So I tried 54g and 55g the first day. 54g gave me a .75" group, 55g gave me a 1.25" group. SO that got me thinking that it did not like the increase, so with my 4 bullets left, thats why I picked 53.7g, but it gave me a 1" group. Thats why I wished I had 3 more bullets, because i would then try 54.3g. See what I mean? That .3g difference really does make a difference. I never really thought it would. I'm mainly working with the 140g sbt and SST. I hope the SST shoots better because its a plastic tip with higher BC, plus its averaging about 50fps faster. 2900fps with a 140g out of a 22" tube is nothign to complain about. Those 2 bullets are putting the first 2 touching, but I get a little flyer of about .5". If I can get that flyer down to about .25" I"ll be happy with my .5" group. Nothing wrong with .75" groups, but I always like to have .5" groups when I shoot 600-700 yards. Its just more of a confidence thing.

I use 54 grains of IMR4350 and 150 grain speer spitzer boattail a three shot grouping is around .6 @ 100yds. Sometimes the bolt will get sticky. This is for a .270 win shooting out of a Weatherby.

Thanks Aaron

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.