Range results from last night..

remingtonman_25_06

Me and a buddy went out last night shooting to try and find a load for his Rem 700 ADL 30-06 w/Varget + 168g AMAX. His results were not very good velocity or accuracy wise...His best load came in at a whole whopping 2600fps with a .5" 4 shot group. It has to be the low node.. We cant seem to find the high node..We got it up to 2750-2800fps at the top end, but groups were running about 2"! Hes pretty PO'ed but what else can you expect from a 30-06 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thats what I always tell him anyways, ha ha ha...

I also brought my 7 RM with a couple more loads to throw out of it. I was testing H1000 and the 162g SST mostly, but I also had 162g AMAX w/RL-22 and 160g AB w/RL-22

My first outing with H1000/162g SST's led me to believe there was something around 67g, so I loaded up all what I had left of the SST"S. I loaded 3 up at 66.5g, 4 at 67g, and 4 at 67.5g. The first outing I had the OAL at 3.360" which was pretty much at the lands. I had the 2 in and 1 out syndrome so I thought I would cut back the OAL to 3.350" and see if that did anything..66.5g shot the best at 2925fps giving about a .706" 3 shot group. 67g did not fare as well as last time, it gave a 2.556" 4 shot group, I dont think the shorter OAL helped this load much...67.5g did not get much better as it did a 1.9" 4 shot group. I dont like the way that 67-67.5g is vertical, so probly play around that 66.5g load and maybe tinker with seating depth a bit more, and then do some 5 shot groups..If I can keep 5 shots w/out any flyers inside 1" I'll be happy, but happier if they stay inside .75" for 5 shots. Might be asking a bit much, but I think the rifles more then capable. I might not even do 5 shot groups w/this rifle, I never get a deer or elk to stand there for me to miss 4 times anyways, so..Here is the pic of the 3 loads.

5xqkc2v.jpg

This was how 67g H1000 shot 2 days ago but seated .010" farther out..It was a lot better then seated .010" deeper. I had 3 under .5" w/the classic flyer. I thought seating .010" deeper might cure the flyer, it pretty much opened the whole group!

4px7tdz.jpg

This is the 162g AMAX w/61g RL-22. This is a pretty good load. Its never shot over .6" at 100 yards and I've shot probly 5 groups with about 3 different lots of RL-22. Seems to be pretty consistent and accurate at 2900fps. Looking for the same accuracy but I want 3000fps with the 160-162g bullets...Sometimes it does 2 in the same hole like you see here, and throws the 3rd out a bit, not always the 3rd shot though. Havne't worked with seating depth a whole lot, its right at the lands.

4mhuw53.jpg

With 61g RL-22, I can substitute the 160g AB and keep a pretty good group as well. This rifle just might prefer 61g w/160-162g bullets at around 2900fps. This 160g AB load is kinda sensitive to seating depth, one day it will shoot real good w/no flyers another day it will shoot about 1". Either way, I guess its not to bad for a factory rifle.

66xixxv.jpg

All in all, not to bad of a night for shooting. My buddy is going to load up another batch with his 30-06 and 168g AMAX. So we'll be heading out here again real soon.

I have a few loads to shoot with RL-22 and 162g AMAX that should put me around 3000fps. 64-65g RL-22 hopefully will give .5" accuracy and give me another 100fps...

[ QUOTE ]
Hes pretty PO'ed but what else can you expect from a 30-06 /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thats what I always tell him anyways, ha ha ha...

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the problem is the brand name! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Looks to be a lot of vertical in those groups! What are you shooting off?

edge.

I have watched the guys that shoot free recoil, and the rifle slides back smooth as silk, and the forarm stays down on the front bag.

In a lead sled, since the rifle really can't move backward, does it stay put, or does the muzzle move up more than normal.

I am not advocating free recoil, with hunting rifles, just an observation /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

edge.

[ QUOTE ]
I have watched the guys that shoot free recoil, and the rifle slides back smooth as silk, and the forarm stays down on the front bag.

In a lead sled, since the rifle really can't move backward, does it stay put, or does the muzzle move up more than normal.

I am not advocating free recoil, with hunting rifles, just an observation /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

edge.

[/ QUOTE ]

My 300 winn will not shoot tight groups with free recoil,but hold it firmly and it shoots like these 300 yard group shows
11-5-2005-300-Win-Mag-groups300-yar.jpg

11-5-2005-300-Win-Mag-300-yards-8.jpg

Here is the rifle;
HuntingPicturesfrom2006002.jpg

Ditto on the hunting rifle advice...

I cleand my barrel right before these groups were shot and I did shoot a fouler shot, I"ve learned that long ago...It also takes me at least 5 minutes to shoot a 3 shot group, I take my time in other words because the barrel gets a little warm when your out under the sun in the desert...

I am using strictly Fed 215 primers...I dont really see the need to switch, but I might try something different, couldn't hurt I suppose. I do have some Fed 210's on hand. He did mention that a different primer might help.

The only rifle I know that likes to free recoil is my little .222 rem. My 25-06 and 7 RM dont like it one bit..They like to be held tight in the shoulder.

Thats some good shooting there JWP for some Barnes none the less. Your .300 is not factory though is it?? I'd be pretty happy with 1.25" for 3 shots at 300 yards, let alone 5!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.