Range report on 7 SAUM, 168 VLD Bergers

4bycamper

Finally got back to the range to do a little load testing with my 7mm Remington Short Action Utility Mag, a load ladder and 168 Bergers. :D
The weather has been nice this week. Sunny and in the 50*s. Settled on 65 grains of Magpro over a WLR primer for 2953 fps ave. Chronoed.
When I jumped the Bergers .080" I got 1/2 MOA before I ran out of ammo.
I'll need to go back to adjust the load a little bit, now that I have the jump settled. These will almost fit into the magazine so I'll try just a little longer jump too, maybe .085 or so.
While researching my come ups I learned this load might be OK for 700 yard elk.

Also, called Leupold and scheduled to get my old VX-1 outfitted with target knobs for $120. They must have lowered their prices. $80. for one turret and $120. for both, shipped. Happy Camper :D

Have you noticed any temp sensitivity in the Mag Pro? I want to try that one out. RL17 seems to be really unstable.

Tank

Magpro has been very temperature table for me at least compared to the benchmark: H 4831. Magpro is a dual base powder, and that may help.

What suprised me most is that a one-grain-from-top-load of RL 22, and a o-g-f-t-load of Magpro shot to virtually the same POI with the same bullets.
Go figure.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.