Custom shop Battling bucks Frame
Trigger job by Stratton custom
Match Grade Machine 28" .290 (neck turn) 6.5X47 Lapua
100 click adjustable Harmonic Balancer / Break
Hanger Bar by Stratton custom
Red splatter Leupould VXL 6.5X20X56 Long Range Varmint Hunter Reticule
Barrel was cut with my reamer from my Bench gun so I can shoot my BR custom
ammo in a hunting weight rifle. .

I put 30 rounds thru it, cleaning 3 times.

Using the same load I shoot in my bench gun, (140 Berger VLD, RL-17, 2850 fps) I back up to 200, changed my zero to 200 shot 4 groups but not under good conditions.
Despite the wind and the makeshift rest, I never broke over MOA except for one called pull.

The next day with good conditions, and my bipod and monopod, I backed up to 400 and got serious.

Even my fouler group was only .85 MOA, dialed up my Harmonic balancer 10 clicks for each group, noting the group size. They varied from .59 to .8. Two were identical at.59 so I dialed the ballacer back 15 clicks to fall directly between those. Fired 3, 3 shot 400 yard groups. They were . 47, .501 and .502.

So with about 70 rounds down the tube, I'm shooting solid .5 MOA groups at 400 yards. My experience has been that new barrels continue to improve for about 200 to 300 rounds so I expect that when the barrel if fully broken in, it will be a consistent, .5 MOA or better performer.

Next really nice day we get, I'll take it to 800 and really see what it's made of.

Robbin

The pics of the gun are in another tread a few days ago called Custom Encore 6.5X47Lapua. I didn't take any target pictures. But I do keep a pair of calipers in my shooting bag to get accurate measurements with.

I'm interested in pics of your rig so I'll go to the other thread. Thanks for responding.

I know this is way late to the dance BUT .5MOA at 400yards is 2inches. A .490 group is a little over .1MOA ( 9/100 OF AN INCH OVER). That is not " Oh, by the way" shooting in anybodys book! Even for a benchrester.
Way good shooting
John

You may well be right. It seems more reasonable that way. Still very fine shooting. Thanks Bota.
Robbin, Whereabouts do you shoot bench at. Like to run into you some time.

Thanks

John

Hi Johnmill,
I don't shoot bench rest competition. Thou I have a custom bench gun built by Hart. I've got a 400 yard range on my property and my Son, both step sons and daughter all shoot seriously. I've got access to 800 yard range and my step son who lives in tampa shoots 1000yards with a club and both step sons compete from time to time.
I love to shoot, but I started shooting long range to hunt. That's why I've got the encores. I got the bug, then the whole family. I live in Florida and I have 80 acres, That's where I have my range. I've got a 10X10 raised deck with a roof, 6X6 studs for the main bench, a permanent Oehler chrono stand, and hanging steels at 400 yards. I just can't see going to a range and waiting to shoot with a bunch of other guys. I'm not good enough anyway… J
But I've got a great private place to shoot.
Robbin​

Hey Robbin,
First thanks for that great write up of the 6.5x47 I just bought the whole shebang to convert my Savage 112 to that. Looking forward to no recoil and great accuracy. I do have an Encore rifle but haven't done much with it. I am a follower of Mike Bellm. Though I have not gotten a barrel from him yet, i did buy most of the tools and stones he offers. Sounds like you have a sweet setup there. I have to drive 85 miles to our club with a 600 yard range. N. central IL
Well, Thanks again

John

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.