Range report: Accumark, legacy, and 700

Smoak352

So I took three rifles to the range all using factory ammo. Started off at 100 yards and here are the best groups.

Nosler Model 48 Legacy .270 win Hornady Superformance 130grain SST
Best group: .90"

Model 700 7mm mag. 150grain core lockt
Best Group: 1.8"

Weatherby Accumark 300wby 180grain soft point
Best Group: 3.8"

Is it weird that the Weatherby is shooting this poor? Should I send it back to Weatherby? What would they do to rectify the problem?

Please advise. Also, could I shoot better with hand loads?

Last edited:
What brand ammo in the Weatherby - was it theirs?

Wby factory uses the 180gr spire point and 165 Barnes to test. At least try those but don't be afraid to try others too. Factory 180s come in Barnes, Accubond and Partitions.

And yes, with time and effort you would most likely find an excellent handload.

Yes, it was Weatherby ammo, 180 grains.

Has anyone ever sent a rifle back to Weatherby?

Yes, it was Weatherby ammo, 180 grains.

Has anyone ever sent a rifle back to Weatherby?

It's far cheaper to buy a few different kinds of ammo. My guess (based on previous comments by others) is that Weatherby will ask what ammo you tried and then suggest others. You might as well try a few others first before going this route.

FYI, one bad ammo does not an inaccurate rifle make.

Also, don't be afraid to check the torque on the action screws, scope rings, etc to be sure they're tightened to specifications.

Just curious if you used a chrono on the weatherby? I used a accumark .257wby with 2 boxes of factory 110 accubonds. We got 3moa at 100 yards and as much as 175fps differance between shots on the same box of ammo. This left us scratching our heads. At $70+ a box I would have thought it would be better.

No, I need to get a chronograph. Thanks for the advice. I used to reload in the past and just thought I could use factory ammo but it looks like Im going back to reloading. Thanks for the advice.

Is the scope on the Weatherby a proven scope?? Sounds like something is wrong here to me. All Accumarks I have ever been around were real shooters.

Jeff

The scope on the Accumark is a Leupold 4.5x15x50.

The other scopes were a Zeiss 6x20x50 and Swarovski z5.

The scope on the Accumark is a Leupold 4.5x15x50.

The other scopes were a Zeiss 6x20x50 and Swarovski z5.

Well there are many things to check. Like action screw torque, mounts or rings loose, recoil flinch etc. But one thing I have had on some of my Weatherby's is Leupold failure. Two of the higher end Leupolds in one season, both on Weatherby's. I would run through the check list then swap scopes just to see.

Jeff

Ok, thanks for the reply. I have a spare scope to throw on there and see. I was using a lead sled so recoil was not a factor.

What is action screw torque?

Ok, thanks for the reply. I have a spare scope to throw on there and see. I was using a lead sled so recoil was not a factor.

What is action screw torque?

If my memory is correct for the Accumark in the HS stock with aluminum bedding rail it is 65 inch lbs. But better check that out.

Also FWIW, every one I have owned or worked on has shot better after I epoxy bedded it. But they all shot much better than yours right off the bat.

Jeff

Just curious if you used a chrono on the weatherby? I used a accumark .257wby with 2 boxes of factory 110 accubonds. We got 3moa at 100 yards and as much as 175fps differance between shots on the same box of ammo. This left us scratching our heads. At $70+ a box I would have thought it would be better.

My 257 shot a 3/4 inch group at 200 yards with factory 110 Accubond ammo. Perhaps you got a bad one?

As others have said, check all screws and switch the scope. I do not like shooting over lead sleds. To many variables. If I can't get a rifle to shoot the old fashioned way, with a bipod and rear bag or over a cement bench, because of recoil, you shouldn't be shooting it anyway.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.