Range Pet Peeves!

It's true I see a lot kid factories not parents these days . Kids raising kids little to no guidance so as time goes on less teaching being done on how to perform in public . Single parenting or both parents not taking part in the child rearing roll is what I blame .
It really surprises me that this kind of parenting goes on. For years I would visit gun shops and tackle shops and bring my two boys 34 and 24 years old now. How many times was I complimented by the shop owners about their behavior , I was even told on a couple of occasions that they were worried when they saw my young son 5 years old at the time. This one particular time the shop owner told me I can't believe how well behaved your little boy is ! It was never going to be a problem to take my children anywhere because one, I worried about their safety and two I demanded that they show respect for others ! Good behavior and etiquette are taught and groomed. Both sons are now grown and have their own families but are my trusted hunting, fishing and range buddies.

I used to shoot at a local gun club and experienced some of the same things posted above, including the self appointed Gastapo range officer and the mag dumpers. I now shoot on private land. It's hassle free, but you don't get to talk to the serious shooters that do occasionally show up. You can always stop by the public range if you can't remember why you left in the first place.

80B51772-E14F-405A-9490-1ECF976A99CB.jpeg
38A9E4B3-F9A8-4FAD-8852-3175B6128139.jpeg

I am fortunate to have 11 year old twin grandsons nearby. Interesting to me they both rather be shooting a single-shot 22 than my Ruger 10/22! Manners are a continuous 'building' process by all involved!

The bad manners are everywhere.

A few years ago at a gun show, I had my expensive XP-100 set up on the table as a display item (amazing how a high end gun attracts people). Doesn't matter if you can shoot or not, they think you can.
3147 d.JPG

A guy walked up to look at the cleaning products I was offering with is 8-10 yo kid.

The kid grabbed the XP and started trying to open the bolt, almost knocked it off the table.

I kind of snapped at him with "Hey Buddy, ask before you touch!"

Immediately the dad barked at me not to yell at his son, I barked back at him with "Then teach your brat some manners, he should be taught to never touch a gun without permission, especially someone else's gun!"

It started to get nasty, so I asked him politely to just walk away from my table, not going to sell you anything.

I have never touched someone else's gun with out first asking permission. For some reason that is not being taught these days.

I have asked to look at guns at a gun shows and gotten "you don't need to ask, just do it" Not this boy, my dad would raise up out of the grave to smack me.

I have zero issue with someone that wants to look at one of my guns, but they need to ask first and it will be on my terms.

Kids and dogs all need to be taught manners and be socialized . We weren't born knowing right from wrong we learned it from the people we were associated with or we didn't learn it by the people we were associated with . We haven't done kids or pets any favors by not teaching them manners or socializing them and the people they are exposed to pay the price for our negelance.

Or the guy that can't start a sentence with an uppercase letter. Didn't get the memo that forum posts where supposed to be APA format.

Or guys who call out guys who called out another guy! seesh!

wait? what does that make me?

Ill just go back to asking for staplers and mag dumping.

Be careful criticizing people for spelling and grammar.

I used to spend allot of time on another gun site, there was guy there from the south that wrote like he was speaking redneck (I understood him perfectly).

A guy started attacking him for his grammar and spelling.

Turns out his was the Head of the English department for one of the big University's. He responded to his attacker with a letter written with perfect grammar and spelling, very elegant letter. Closed the letter with "Now if ya'll have any trouble read'n dat, I'll be happy to wrote it agin in Redneck!"

That ended that attack, lol

You never know who you are dealing with.

The bad manners are everywhere.

A few years ago at a gun show, I had my expensive XP-100 set up on the table as a display item (amazing how a high end gun attracts people). Doesn't matter if you can shoot or not, they think you can.
View attachment 140867

A guy walked up to look at the cleaning products I was offering with is 8-10 yo kid.

The kid grabbed the XP and started trying to open the bolt, almost knocked it off the table.

I kind of snapped at him with "Hey Buddy, ask before you touch!"

Immediately the dad barked at me not to yell at his son, I barked back at him with "Then teach your brat some manners, he should be taught to never touch a gun without permission, especially someone else's gun!"

It started to get nasty, so I asked him politely to just walk away from my table, not going to sell you anything.

I have never touched someone else's gun with out first asking permission. For some reason that is not being taught these days.

I have asked to look at guns at a gun shows and gotten "you don't need to ask, just do it" Not this boy, my dad would raise up out of the grave to smack me.

I have zero issue with someone that wants to look at one of my guns, but they need to ask first and it will be on my terms.
I have worked a LOT of gun shows for my friend. Your story isn't uncommon sadly. Used to, we had a line of 550 cord on the table, and all the guns are zip tied to it, so that string snaked around every which direction. We had some of the Mossberg Silver Reserve shotguns laid out near the end. Guy walked up with his kid about 8 I guess. The kid grabbed one of the target pistols and spins around to show his dad. Well that string didn't have THAT much slack. So the old beat up shotguns at the end, got dragged on top of those Silver Reserves. My friend hit the roof! The one that took the brunt of it, had scratches and dents in the wood. He argued with the kids dad for quite awhile. The dad ended up buying an expensive shotgun.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.