range finers / Binoculars

Rich Coyle

June 14, 2018 Overcast, 6AM the sun is still behind the eastern hill (sunrise: 5:35).
Vortex Fury10X42 HD LRF, Alpen Teton 10X50 EDHD, Nikon 7-15X35, Sig Kilo 2000, Bushnell Elite 1500

After adjusting each to the best I could, I placed the Vortex and Alpen on sandbags to check for the smallest lines I could see on the military optics chart 127 yards away. The Alpen could read 2-5, the Vortex could read 2-4, and putting the Nikon between 9X and 11X it could read 2-5. Fantastic for something costing about $125.

I took them to the end of the drive and used the Vortex to read the farthest tree I could find. The Vortex read 1101 and the Sig read 1102 in about one second. The Bushnell could not read it. I dropped to the next tree down on the ridge and read 1095 a couple times. But, I had to hold the button down for a couple second to give it time to compute the distance. If I pushed the button like I did with the other two, I could only read out to about 600 yards max. So it works if one gives it time to work.

Thanks Rich, very interesting. Can you post a picture of the chart you are using, or tell me where to find one please? I'd like to do some similar testing of my own.

Thanks Rich, very interesting. Can you post a picture of the chart you are using, or tell me where to find one please? I'd like to do some similar testing of my own.

My avatar is the chart. It is about 12"wide X10" long for the numbers. The lower right has the largest "lines". They are 2X13/32". Lines at 2-4 are 23/32X1/8". Lines at 2-5 are 5/8X.110". I hope this helps.

I think someone emailed the chart to me. I forwarded it to Staples and had them laminate it. It's been on the pump house for years. Maybe you could find one on the web.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.