Range finding scope opinions

You know, i'd think that the Ballistic Mil-Dot reticle in an upper model Burris would be one of the best systems out there with a target turret tacked on. Then you have the flexibility of mil-dot ranging, trajectory compensation, and running clicks too, all in one scope without having to brake the budget for some of the others.

I have a Burris ballisticplex on my Ruger .17HMR for that caliber.

Not bad, except that like all ballistics data on a reticle, it is too inflexible as cartridge and or environmental conditions change.

Works for me on rimrires because of relative stability of cartridge performance.

Open for other ideas though.
smile.gif

[ 11-09-2003: Message edited by: DMCI ]

sscoyote:

The Burris Ballistic-plex seems to have a lot of flexibility, based on the number of different modifications they provide on that reticle.

You might also investigate Nightforce scopes as they have a number of different reticle solutions and a fairly decent scope.

In general though and speaking from a philosophic point of view, I would rather put the ballistics data on the knob than the reticle, if the knob system is repeatable. If not then reticles seem to hold more hope for a workable solution.

D.
smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> I have also used Mildot for most of my career, but if you are not familiar with them I would suggest the easiest type is a shepherd scope, I have 2 and they work flawlessly. http://www.shepherdscopes.com/
--------------------

SFC U.S. Army (B4)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know Dan Shepard personally, and he is very inventive and a heck of a nice fellow.

Having said that, I agree with you about the Shepard Scope. I have one on my .22WRF Magnum rifle. It works like a charm.

The second reticle on that puppy is a MOA reticle by the way. Makes range finding a snap!

D.
smile.gif

I recently purchased a kahles 3-9x42 with the tds recticle. So far i like it very much. Have did some ranging with it and is decently simple.
I looked at the shepherd scopes but did not think they were near the quality of glass. I did like the idea of the circles though. I checked with a local gun shop and they said customer service for these scopes is terrible. They had two different scopes that broke and the company would not back there product. It took around two years to get it taken care of. I have also read about their lack of customer service on other forums. This is one of the reason i went with a different scope, even though i like their idea!

If I had to criticize Shepherd, I would say that he would do better if he could build an industrial quality scope and compete favorably with Leupold's tactical line. However, although his quality and workmanship have dramatically improved over the last few years he still has a little way to go. Mores the pity.

PS. Usually, I never criticize a product, and this post is meant to be more constructive, than harsh. I still think he has a terrific idea there and his quality is appropriate to the price in my opinion.

I can't speak to the issue of customer service, because I have never had a problem with my scope. It shoots better than I do!
grin.gif

D.
smile.gif

[ 11-06-2003: Message edited by: DMCI ]

Why not get a good laser range finder like a Leica LRF 1200? Then you can range distance to target with any rifle.

DMCI,

Do me a favor?

Send me an e-mail with the place you bought your swivel bench. Did the top come with it or did you have it made elsewhere? I like yours better then the one I now have and I need another one to ship to Texas so I can have one there and one here.

E-mail: [email protected]

I have your Groove Bullets ready to ship. Just let me know how many of each caliber you want and a shipping address.

Don

[ 11-06-2003: Message edited by: Shaky ]

DMCI, I am not trying to knock Shepherd. I just feel that for the money i think there are better choices and that $600 is a considerable amount for the average person on a scope. This is just my opnion!

I just wanted to acknowledge the customer service because i think a manufacturer should stand behind their product. Maybe service has changed or these were just rare cases. I know any scope can go bad and sometimes its neglect and not craftsmanship. I think Shepherd has a great idea, but i know these stories changed my mind and a few others that were really considering shepherd scopes.

I tend to agree with Shaky,

Why not get a rangefinder. (A good one)

The trouble I see with rangefinding scope reticles is that they base thier findings on a subjective opinion from the shooter. The odds are, they may come pretty close under perfect viewing conditions. But... out to 300 yds on a deer, is meaningless becuase you can make a good guess and shoot the thing without the reticle. After the point where a good guess just won't do, neither will the rangefinding reticle. For shooting woodchucks, it's simply out of the question. Past 300, drop becomes too significant, under 300, it's too insignificant.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>I tend to agree with Shaky,

Why not get a rangefinder. (A good one) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well two points:

1. I have one. (A good one.)

geovid-7x42bd.jpg

2. I tend to shoot my rifle in at each range and note the number of clicks or moa for each range. Lately, I have been employing a palm based ballistics software and a weather station to aid me in calculating come ups.

Problem with a laser is two fold, based on actual experience.

a.) If weather is too warm, it ceases to give good readings. After all the infrared signal can be jammed by two much heat energy in the air.

b.) As any FB-111 pilot will tell you, too much dependency on electronic and battery powered systems can result in disaster if you have no secondary back up system. I treat the reticle range finder as a backup, and when you divide a circle into 18,000 or so parts, the result can be much better than the proverbial SWAG.

Also the use of the moa reticle to provide a modified POA is very useful, and maybe as useful as the range finding functionality.

D.
smile.gif

[ 11-10-2003: Message edited by: DMCI ]

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> Mister ( ex DR ) J Williams <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
news travel fast i see...

Does anybody have experience with the new Weaver Tacticle MilDot Scopes with 1 Plane Reticles.

They are available in two specs.

849444 3-9x40 Matte Black, Mil Dot
849445 4.5-14x40 Matte Black, Mil Dot, AO

Rgds

My two favorites are:

Nightforce NPR2

IOR Valdada MP8

Great for long range shooting, very easy to estimate range for objects of known height.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.