Range Finder?

I'm using 10x42 Bushnell ARC 1 Mile rangefinder binoculars. (I set mine for mil holds B/C my scope reticles are in mils.) I can scout and range with the same instrument and it is very accurate in most conditions. The glass is decent. Maybe not ELD grade but good. Good coatings.

At the time I got them they were considered "very good for the money". Mine were a warranty replacement (plus me paying a few hundred dollars difference) for a tits-up Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000 they no longer made.
**The Bushnell ARC 1 Mile has no angle hold compensation for rifle and gives you only general cartridge and bullet weight categories for it to figure your hold.
Ex.-> My setting for .300 Win mag 180 gr. Federal cartridges and 6.5 CM 143 gr. Hornady ELD-X cartridges is the same.

BUT... were I to do it again I'd definitely spring for the newest version of Leica's HD-B 10x42 rangefinding binoculars with all ED glass lenses. They have everything but a wind meter. You can load your exact load into their Micro SD card on your computer, stick it back into the binoculars and the binoculars' sensors do the rest for temperature, compass direction, spin drift, angle of shot (up or down), barometric pressure, etc.

They are priced similarly to Swarovsky's LRFs but do a lot more. Both brands have about the same quality, but my choice in this department still goes to the Leica. Leica has been making laser range finding binoculars longer than anyone else.

My reason for buying range finding binoculars is that it is a two-in-one instrument. Less crap to carry and, with good LRF binoculars, you are often not paying much more than a good LRF monocular and decent, non-ED glass binoculars.

Eric B.

I have both the 8 & 10x Leica's (2000yd versions) and love them. I use them on Pdogs. Since I use them with a variety of rifles I haven't taken advantage of all the fancy features. The reason I have them is that pretty much only the better grade of ranging bino's will reliably work in a dog town. There just isn't much to range on and I haven't seen any regular range finders work any where near as well.

I have had the Leica gen2 geovids, they worked good to 1200, also had a set of the Leica HD-B I bought last year, worked fine until it dropped below 20°. Ran a terrapin for a year, which worked well for ranging out to 2000 yards on non reflective targets. Sig optics sponsored us last year, part of that package was their 2400 rangefinder with the ballistic package. This unit was probably the best rangefinding/ballistic unit available, in terms of ranging and getting accurate dope from the system. I Recently bought a vectronix vector IV, ranging capabilities are ridiculous, the optics are bright and crisp. If your wanting to spend the money on a real deal rangefinding binocular, I would suggest looking at the vector line. I know they are expensive, but, I don't think you will find anything on the open market that will compare them.

They all range off of snow, they just dont rangw while its snowing. At least paast 150 or so yards, with the ones I have used.

I used my Nikon 7iVr to range a deer in KS at just over 400 yards in windy blowing snow conditions. Made a 1 shot stop on him right after getting the distance.

Nice, I have had my vector 4 stopped by blowing snow. How does Nikon defeat blowing ice crystals???

No idea. My first Generation vibration reduction RF just worked. Snow blowing across a cut corn field. Dang glad I had the VR function with all the wind. I just bought the 2nd Gen VR RF, the new MONARCH 3000 Stabilized but I have yet to use it in the field.

I've had really good luck with my Bushnell, Elite model I think. Gave $300 for it. Depending on target reflectivity, it's ranged 1500 yds.

My Leupold RX-1000i works well out to 1000 yards, when I can hold it steady. With hunting ranges here, at best, reaching 200 yards I do not need it much. I can range with my scope and find that the laser and scope say very close to the same thing.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.