Range Finder?

coop2564

What range finders will read well on deer size game out to 800 or so?

I have a bushnell 850... passed 600 its takes something very large and reflective, like a large rock, truck, barn, tree, etc..are they all that way?

Look at the Leica's. The 1600 is awesome and is probably the best route to go, although some of the lesser models might work to 800 for you.

I have had a couple of Leica 1600's and they have ranged as far as 1700+ yds in the best conditions and less than 500 in very sunny conditions and almost nil in sunny snow covered conditions.

The Vectronics Terrapin is good 2000 in most any conditions and out to 3000 give or take in good conditons.

Being able to hold steady is critical in getting a reading in marginal conditions and longer ranges.

I have ranged sheep in the next pasture form my FIL's house from 400-750 with my Leica 1000. I ranged hogs in the 800's with the same.

Bushnell 1600 or any of the Long Range units will work better than the 1000 yard units.

I use a Leica 1600 and have ranged rocks and trees at just under 2000 yards on good battery. I have ranged lots of deer and elk sized critters in the 1200-1500 range but it is a little sketchy. 800 is not issue at all for my leica, it is super fast and reliable.

Swarovski is another choice but they tend be a little expensive and I prefer the leica anyway.

I guess if you are going to go that route then look at the new Leica HB range finder and bino. Leica allows for user input of ballistic data for your set up. I have not used the new unit yet but if it is as good as the reviews I have read it could be pretty sweet.

My next purchase was going to be the G7 but at 1500.00 it was a bit of a stretch. My buddy is supposed to be getting the new Leica and I will have a chance to test it against my swaro el's and see how the solutions work out. It is nice to have options.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.