Range finder thoughts and opinions

frostop

I am thinking about upgrading my Leica 1600b.
Recently had my hands on the Gunwerks G7 and found that having the solver in the range finder very handy and quick.
I am thinking about upgrading to one of those options. Would really like to go to a binocular model of some type.
The leica seem to have a good following but the cost is considerable. The Sig Saur Kilo3000 looks promising?
It would be cool if Gunwerks were to come out with a binocular model?
I have a kestrel 5700ballistic that I would like it to communicate with. I am currently running Strelok Pro, which I like, but not sure if any of the rangefinders will communicate with it? I am thinking of the phone as a backup to the kestrel!

What are all of you using and how do you use it?

Gary

I've owned & used a few of the ones you mentioned. Sig 2400abs, Sig 3000 binos,
Leica (non ballistic), Leupold, G7,
Now using Leica 2800.com & will be pairing that to a new Kestral 5700 Elite or X.

I've owned & used a few of the ones you mentioned. Sig 2400abs, Sig 3000 binos,
Leica (non ballistic), Leupold, G7,
Now using Leica 2800.com & will be pairing that to a new Kestral 5700 Elite or X.

Sounds like you like the Leica's, have you paired them yet? Just wondering if that process is simple stupid or cumbersome and glichy?

Did you not like the Sig kilo3000? If not could you explain?

Limited experience with pairing. Used my buddy's 5700 elite & it worked great.
So I decided to purchase a 5700.
Just haven't figured out which model yet.
The Glass on the Leica is Excellent.
Rangefinder performs flawlessly.
I have the on board ballistic loaded with a custom profile, & that works well.
I prefer a lightweight single unit vs the bino approach, that's too heavy & cumbersome for my use. & if your rangefinder goes wonky & back to be serviced your out two units.

Limited experience with pairing. Used my buddy's 5700 elite & it worked great.
So I decided to purchase a 5700.
Just haven't figured out which model yet.
The Glass on the Leica is Excellent.
Rangefinder performs flawlessly.
I have the on board ballistic loaded with a custom profile, & that works well.
I prefer a lightweight single unit vs the bino approach, that's too heavy & cumbersome for my use. & if your rangefinder goes wonky & back to be serviced your out two units.
That's a good point being out two units
Thank you for your input!!

Gary

I have the sig bdx 3000 binos! They are great! Last weekend I was quickly ranging trees @ 1346yds and have ranged deer past 900yds. They give you your rifles ballistics out to 800yds in the binos. Pair it with a 5700 elite and it will solve further out. Best item I've picked up in a few years. I went to this from a Swarovski laserguide 8x30

I have used a bunch and keep going back to my G7 BR2. People complain about it being bigger than others but I find that to be an advantage, it helps in holding it steadier while ranging. I also like that you hold it horizontal like binoculars instead of vertical like the others, it makes it easier to use especially when shooting prone. I then have a Kestrel 5700 Elite that I keep as a back up for ballistics. I don't use a phone for ballistic back up because cell phones are so unreliable, the screens lock up, the batteries go dead, operating systems lock up. I believe in KISS keep it simple stupid. The Kestrel is way more durable than a cell phone and the battery life is 100 times of a cell phone also. With the G7 BR2 keeps it simple, one unit and thats it, the more pieces of equipment you have to use the more chance you have of missing a chance at an animal.

I have used a bunch and keep going back to my G7 BR2. People complain about it being bigger than others but I find that to be an advantage, it helps in holding it steadier while ranging. I also like that you hold it horizontal like binoculars instead of vertical like the others, it makes it easier to use especially when shooting prone. I then have a Kestrel 5700 Elite that I keep as a back up for ballistics. I don't use a phone for ballistic back up because cell phones are so unreliable, the screens lock up, the batteries go dead, operating systems lock up. I believe in KISS keep it simple stupid. The Kestrel is way more durable than a cell phone and the battery life is 100 times of a cell phone also. With the G7 BR2 keeps it simple, one unit and thats it, the more pieces of equipment you have to use the more chance you have of missing a chance at an animal.
I agree 100%
A51960D2-1227-4E4A-B50D-7B56221653B0.jpeg

I have used a G7 for years now and would not change it for any of the others. It has everything you need to hunt out to well beyond 1000 yards. I hear people complain about them being big and bulky and another piece to carry around but it has never been an issue for me. They are reliable and they take all the guessing out of the equation. Point and click, dial and shoot. Just my opinion.

I have been quite impressed with the Zeiss rangefinding binoculars. I have the 10x54 RF. They are great low light binoculars with all the bells and whistles in a rangefinder. They have a built in weather station and bluetooth to the Zeiss hunting app. They will range soft targets to 2500 yards. The ballistics app might be a little more comprehensive, but has been dead on for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.