Range finder thoughts and opinions

I bought a pair of Vortex Fury binos a while back and really like them. The glass is true HD and the rangefinder works great. I am able to hit grass/bushes handheld with no tripod out to 1600 easy. I was able to get good readings out to 4000 yards on reflective targets last fall in early morning light. They are a little heavy but are worth the money.

Having owned the G7 since its introduction, it is my go-to for LR hunting. It has performed flawlessly, accounting for dozens of animals out to 1200 yards. For wind determination, ballistics work, and PRS competition(where it excels), l use a Kestrel 5700.

I bought the Leica Geovid 10x42HD-B ranging binocular many years ago after reading a very good comparison of multiple bino range finder combinations -- it scored as #1. I really like mine. As far as losing 2 items if it breaks, I didn't sell my other Swarovski binos or range finder, so I have backups and for my grandkids to use, so no worries about losing 2 items if my Leica Geovid breaks.

Well, I haven't made up my mind yet! I think I have it narrowed down thought, Either the G72500 or the SigSauer3000bdx unless I decide to hold out for a pair of Leica Geovid 10 x 42 3200.COM.

I was almost ready to pull the trigger on something and ended up buying a washer and dryer:rolleyes:

I have the G7BR2 but I would love to upgrade to the 2500 it's hard to spend that kind of coin when what you have works well already Also I can't spend that kind of money for a while I'm about to start building a new house

I just got my sig3000 and have been playing around with them. I have never had a good pair of Binos but I do have a Leica 1600b and this sig blows it away absolutely no comparison. I'm ranging trees at 2800yds and it is super fast. Hold the button down and scan with it and it is instant. The glass is really bright and crisp I've never had Swaro or Zeiss or Leica Binos. I have a new pair of bx2 leupold and they blow those away no comparison. That's all I can tell you hope that helps.

There's a place where I can shoot--there's usually up to 10 others shooting and/or spotting--safely to 1640 yards not very far from here. However, although one can--and years ago I did--shoot the full mile most consider that too risky these days. Additionally there's a trail that runs down the center and in spite of excellent visibility, literally for miles, That trail has always frightened me; I really don't want to shoot someone. If there's a vehicle there, but no-one around we don't shoot as they could be on that trail or just off it in the brush. There's no other access to this trail than where we park. Long story short I got the Sig BDX 3000s so I can take the entire range and hilltop when spotting and since they were/are availavble for less that a grand when sales pop up... Although I tend to be OCD for real about optics; I'll spend more on the scope than the rifle under it if I have too. So the Sigs shocked me. Not only did they deliver my goal, but in spades with a rangefinder/communicator to my 5700 to boot! I can live with shocks like this.

I have the Sig binoculars. They are nice. Compared against some Endeavor ED binoculars, they seem right up there, maybe better. That's not Zeiss or Swarovski territory but decent.

If the LRF part breaks, they are still binoculars. If one half of the binocular breaks you still have a 50% chance the LRF will work. I'm thinking about buying a 2-8x32 BDX scope combo to put on my crossbow and to have a backup LRF.

Of course my binoculars are paired with a Kestrel.

If you need one, look at the 5700 Sportsman from Cameraland. It has Applied Ballistics and will generate firing solutions as far as you can range. You can also upgrade the firmware to Elite if you want that software. It's a lot cheaper to buy a $250 Sportsman and upgrade to Elite than to just buy an Elite.

I grabbed the Sig 2400ABS. Really like it. Nice to not have to pair with anything to use in hunting situations and very quick to give ranges and holds.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.