Range finder suggestions??

Nounan

I am looking for a range finder that will read Elk out to 800-100 yards. Any suggestions besides a range finder that is $1500?
I am considering the zeiss victory prf.

Last edited:
I think if you shop you can get a Leica that will do that range for $700-$800 bucks.
The Bushnell 1 Mile Tactical Elite should be worth a look..........around $550 I think.

I have the zeiss and it does seem to perform quite well. Have seen it take readings on trees and rocks out to 1600 plus yards. Never handled the leica 1600 but would like to try one. The zeiss is just a little larges than I would like. But am using it for both archery and with my rifle hunting. Seems like I always start out with a cheaper model and then just keep updating until I would have spent half the money if I'd just brought the better one the first time. Good luck

I have a Leica 1600b and it works great in the mountains out to about 1500 yards. I like that it is a very compact unit and distance readings are very accurate.

And just an FYI, the one big misconception with the Leica 1600b is that it provides angle compensated ranges. What it provides is a compensated distance that includes angle temperature and absolute pressure compensated ranges based on deviations from any one of their pre-set trajectories that are calculated at room temp and standard sea level pressure. I'm using my iPhone and the Shooter app to generate my trajectory so I simply use the direct line of sight distance from the rangefinder and level my phone next to my rifle to calculate angle and let the Shooter app calculate it all.

Timber 338 how do I find out how to do what your doing with the shooter app? in a dumbed down way? I am new to it and trying to figure it out.

Timber 338 how do I find out how to do what your doing with the shooter app? in a dumbed down way? I am new to it and trying to figure it out.

Well, first off there are several apps that will work for generating an accurate shooting solution out to as far as you'll want to shoot. I have a few on my phone, but the Shooter app seems to be the most simple to me personally and now the only one I use in the field.

I could go into detail about how to set up the Shooter app, but their website is very informative that already does this with screenshots directly from the app. <www.shooterapp.net>

I just wanted to point out that you either use the Shooter app to generate a solution along with the line of sight yardage reading from the 1600b OR you let the 1600b do it all for you… there is no inbetween with the 1600b as it has pre-programmed trajectories (I think 15) and the idea is that one of them is going to be very close to the trajectory of your load within your rifle. Not exact, but close. I know you did not ask about the 1600b so I'll leave it there, but let me know if you want any more info on that.

Regarding the shooter app, there is a "Look Angle" function (just scroll down on the main website page and you'll see it, or in the app it's in the screen after you've selected your firearm ), where you just tap the "deg" at the far right, and the app opens a new screen that uses the iPhone's built in sensors to output an angle that you're holding your phone at. So basically point your phone with the screen to the sky and the top of the iPhone (the power button) aimed at your target … or level your phone on top of your barrel or scope of side of your stock … something that is looking directly at your target, and then hit the "hold" button. The Shooter app will store this angle and use it along with your direct line of sight to target yardage to generate your shooting solution.

The App will remember your look angle (and all other input fields) the next time you use it, so just get in the habit of going through each line item every time you calculate a new shooting solution or you might accidentally use an old number input from your last shooting solution.

As suggested above, the Leica 1600 and 1600B is hard to beat. I have the 1600 and have ranged game and objects beyond 2K yards. In 2013, I ranged a herd of elk at 1830 yards that led to a 931 yards bull elk harvest.

lightbulbDo a custom search on the top right hand corner and you'll see why? lightbulb

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

If money is not an issue, you should check out the vectronix Vector 23. Ranges out to 25 km for the low price of $23,800. :D

I have the Zeiss Victory PRF, I have ranged wild horses out to 1500 yards and they are roughly the size of an elk. And no I don't shoot horses, was testing the range finder.

+1 on the Leica 1600 B, have tried many others and for the money the Leica is by far the best.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts