Range finder recommendation?

Buy once Cry once

We have the opportunity to run alot of diffrent gear
the saying you get what you pay for rings true more often than not. Right now the leica 1600 is your best option by far in the sub 1000 range. You'd be surprised as I was if you get your hands on some of bushnells latest offerings the fusion 1 miles hold thier own pretty well for a bino rangefinder combo.

The g7 is a nice option as well they really raised the anty with the new mil version and addressed some of the needs of the lrh community with the latest offering.

Stiener has begun to play in the civilian market with an impressive set binos that from what we hear are superior to the swaro and Leica models in ranging capabilities

All this being said if you can find and afford anything from Vectronix buy it...simply the best

Jordan@406

Hey Mud - what's the longest you've gotten an accurate reading out of your Vortex?

I honestly can't remember what all distances I've tested it out to. I know I've tested it up close and it will range at a minimum of around 7 yards, and I've tested it far out, but don't remember exact yardages, it was on-par accuracy-wise when compared to my buddy's, but I can't remember the brand he has. It was probably a year ago last time I had it out, I've been really busy the last 9 months or so, and haven't even been to the range in probably a year, and didn't even go hunting this past deer season. So, I honestly haven't gotten to field-test it much since I bought it, other than some random testing to make sure everything worked on it.

I'm not going to sit here and say it's the best thing since sliced bread, because I'm sure units with much higher price tags (like the Leica, Swaro, and G7 units) are more accurate at distance, but in my limited experience with it, for $379, it's very well built and I think it would be hard to beat in its price range.

I honestly can't remember what all distances I've tested it out to. I know I've tested it up close and it will range at a minimum of around 7 yards, and I've tested it far out, but don't remember exact yardages, it was on-par accuracy-wise when compared to my buddy's, but I can't remember the brand he has. It was probably a year ago last time I had it out, I've been really busy the last 9 months or so, and haven't even been to the range in probably a year, and didn't even go hunting this past deer season. So, I honestly haven't gotten to field-test it much since I bought it, other than some random testing to make sure everything worked on it.

I'm not going to sit here and say it's the best thing since sliced bread, because I'm sure units with much higher price tags (like the Leica, Swaro, and G7 units) are more accurate at distance, but in my limited experience with it, for $379, it's very well built and I think it would be hard to beat in its price range.

Fair enough - I appreciate the response all the same. I'm well acquainted with a too-busy life pace.... Disheartening, but it's all about priorities.

I've handled the Vortex in a store and it seems like a great little unit. The fella working the counter used to have his own store and was a Kahles dealer (we spent some time chatting about high-end scopes too and he was very knowledgeable). He said except for the Leica models, the Vortex was hands-down his personal choice.

I too am shopping very hard and this is a super helpful thread.

The "buy once - cry once" is my general philosophy as well, but with lots of house improvements (significant landscaping, etc) I've gotta watch my pennies!

Fair enough - I appreciate the response all the same. I'm well acquainted with a too-busy life pace.... Disheartening, but it's all about priorities.

I've handled the Vortex in a store and it seems like a great little unit. The fella working the counter used to have his own store and was a Kahles dealer (we spent some time chatting about high-end scopes too and he was very knowledgeable). He said except for the Leica models, the Vortex was hands-down his personal choice.

I too am shopping very hard and this is a super helpful thread.

The "buy once - cry once" is my general philosophy as well, but with lots of house improvements (significant landscaping, etc) I've gotta watch my pennies!

I have a Kahles Helia KX 3.5-10x50, and it is hands-down the best glass sitting in my safe.

I have the Leica 1600 as well as the Leica Geovid range finding binoculars and they work fine, but if you want to shoot long range the only way to go is Gunwerks G7 BR2 (actually Aaron Davidson from Gunwerks did the programming for Leica on their BDC bino's based on the BR2).

The BR2 is not just a range finder it is a full ballistic computer, it measures temperature, air pressure, elevation, inclination and then provides you with a bullet drop compensation (in MOA, shoot to distance and the new one out this month in mils but for a few hundred less just go for the 1st generation if you don't use mils) for any ammo you put in it and you can store up to 5 different loads in it. Over and above all this, it also provides wind hold for a 5, 10, 15, 20,....mph wind speeds at the distance you are shooting.

Incredible piece of technology took a bit of doing to allow them to export the technology to us in Canada because it is so advanced but if you set it up right and you don't hit your vertical right on, its not because of the range finder guaranteed!!! Used it out to 1 mile and other than getting your wind speed estimation correct it hits every time.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.