range finder crapped out!!!!

shawnb

well my old bushnell 1500 has finally crapped out. when i press the range button nothing come up, and yes ive put new batteries in!

so my question is: which one do i go with now. i dont have alot to spend on one so a budget range finder is needed. it needs to range out to and past 1000 yards. and range small animal because i shot lots of coyotes and badgers.

so share your experiences good and bad.

My hunting partner bought bushnell's most modern 1200scout last year or the year before and it competes very well up against my elite 1500 for about the same three bills and it is smaller.

well my old bushnell 1500 has finally crapped out. when i press the range button nothing come up, and yes ive put new batteries in!

so my question is: which one do i go with now. i dont have alot to spend on one so a budget range finder is needed. it needs to range out to and past 1000 yards. and range small animal because i shot lots of coyotes and badgers.

so share your experiences good and bad.

If you intend to indeed range a coyote at 1000 plus, and want the rangefinder to be hitting him and not something else in the area. You will not get it done with a low end RF. To actually get an accurate range on a yote, or deer for that matter at 1000+ takes a good laser with a small beam divergence. There are some RF's out there that will return you a number but I can tell you for sure most of them are not ranging the intended target. I have tested this many many times.

So here is what I will advise you do from the info you have supplied. I would opt for the Leica CRF 1600. I recently picked up a used one off this site for around $500. There are some new on line for around $650. If that is still on the high side of your budget then look for a Leica CRF 1200Y. They are now going used for around $400.

Now if you can swing it and want to range the actual yote out to a mile and beyond then look at the Vectronix line. That is what I use to prove the other less expensive units are BSing me with their returned distances.

For what its worth I have checked my Leica CRF 1600 out to and past 1500 yards next to my Vectronix PLRF10. They agreed with only a yard or so in difference.

Jeff

thank you both for responding. i was hoping you would chime in broz. i have read a few of your posts about rangefinders and they were pretty informative. my budget would be less than $1000. when i meant budget i meant not a G7 or Vectronix haha.

the 1600 seems like a good one. my dad has the 1000 and its pretty nice but hard to stay on what your ranging.

thank you both for responding. i was hoping you would chime in broz. i have read a few of your posts about rangefinders and they were pretty informative. my budget would be less than $1000. when i meant budget i meant not a G7 or Vectronix haha.

the 1600 seems like a good one. my dad has the 1000 and its pretty nice but hard to stay on what your ranging.

You are more than welcome Sir. To honestly range any coyote sized target at 1000 yards you will need to be steady. I prefer a bed of sand bags to rest the unit on rather than a tripod. I simply seldom have a tripod with me. I also will sometimes set a sand bag on top my scope from the prone position to range. This gets me the elevation that is often needed while supplying a solid base. With practice it can be very affective. I think rangefinder practice is often over looked. When you need a distance is not the time to be learning how to use a unit. I practice with my Rf just like I would with any piece of LR equipment. I think it pays off in the end.

Jeff

very helpful. i found a video of beam divergence also that i think is interesting.

[ame=http://youtu.be/mcXprhRbN0Y]Spot laser beam - YouTube[/ame]

hope it works. if not its called spot laser beam on youtube.

haha ya i understand that what a misconception. but i know you get what you pay for in with this stuff so i guess i could have been more detailed.

the 1600 does sound like the right way to go. i have read that i should test them out before buying because some 1600's have been able to range farther than others.

haha ya i understand that what a misconception. but i know you get what you pay for in with this stuff so i guess i could have been more detailed.

the 1600 does sound like the right way to go. i have read that i should test them out before buying because some 1600's have been able to range farther than others.

I found similar results with 5 Swaro's I owned. It is always good to go outside and test drive if you have that option. I think this problem was most evident in the first of the early 1600's though. The latest ones seem much better.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.