Range finder and smoke

Discussion in 'Long Range Scopes and Other Optics' started by Wlfdg, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Wlfdg

Wlfdg Well-Known Member

Anyone else notice smoke effecting their range finders?
    Yesterday I was having trouble ranging rocks beyond 1400yds with my Kilo 2000.

2. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

I suspect the same effect as fog. We have not been out to long range due to visibility. Haven't tried ranging in it. It is hard to see targets at 1000y.

Steve

HARPERC and Wlfdg like this.
  3. zr600

zr600 Well-Known Member

To be honest I do t know if I would trust the sig kilo. I have a 2000 also it seemed to be great when I first got it. Two months ago I couldn’t range a steel plate at 600 yards. Was a shed a little closer I tried rangeing that and it wouldn’t pick it up. Called sig up they had me send it in. Just got an email the other day that they tested it and it passed all three tests. I know it wasn’t me grabbed the g7 sitting there on the shooting table that was my buddies ranged steel plates out to 1300 yards with it. So if I was you I would just look into a Leica they are great range finders my buddy has one along with his g7. He still really likes his Leica just wanted the ballistic ap in the range finder and Leica didn’t have it at the time like the h7 did.

Wlfdg likes this.
  4. Bravo 4

Bravo 4 Well-Known Member

If you are asking if smoke will effect a LRF-
    Then yes smoke, fog, dirty air (dust in windy conditions), precipitation of any kind...they all will effect it to some degree, up to failure to read. Along with bright sunlight and battery degradation.
    If you are asking if anyone in the west is being effected by all the smoke from fires-
    Then that could very well be the case as well.
    Heck it's effecting guys not in the west, had a chance to hunt a place in Montana and had to look elsewhere because of the conditions there. But that's just me being petty as my heart goes out to those directly effected.

HARPERC and RockyMtnMT like this.
  5. HARPERC

HARPERC Well-Known Member

Access, shooting, bans, and general health risk, limiting much long range stuff.

6. RockyMtnMT

RockyMtnMT Official LRH Sponsor

Going out tomorrow! Finally!

Steve

Gord0 and jpfrog like this.
  7. Litehiker

Litehiker Well-Known Member

My "wet dream" LRF binoculars are the current Leica HD -B with their array of sensors and micro SD card with your rifle's ballistics that give you an accurate hold EXCEPT for wind.

Eric B.

8. ssssnake529

ssssnake529 Well-Known Member

I had the Leica HD-B binos. Would barely range anything over 50 yards when the temps dropped below freezing.

9. zr600

zr600 Well-Known Member

I would bet there is something wrong with your Leica Binos if they won’t work on freezing temps call them and let them make it right bet they will they are a good company with some very good products.