Range day with the 300 ultra.

Do you have a extended mag box ?
The factory one is pretty short. Couldn't run the 168ttsx at 0.080 off and had to seat them to 0.114" to fit in it.
No I don't . That was next thing I wanted to do. I just single feed it now. It weighs to much now to tote around the hills.

I like that stock!!! Also interested in your velocity/data for the 215s.

I am currently only at 2998 FPS with them in a 27" tube. N570 and ADG brass. This barrel is SLOOOOOWWW.

245s are at 2832 FPS with N570.
Hey Shane ! I think I shared that with you on another thread last week ! I will look it up again and post it for you.
What make is your barrel ?

My 300RUM is so new I have only fired 40 rounds through it. I am impressed with it's accuracy for such a big boomer. It definitely kicks in a 7 1/4 pound base rifle weight, even with a large scope on it.
I am switching scopes to a 4.5-14x44 Leupold as soon as it arrives. I have one of my spare F-class 4.5-27x50 scopes on it at present, it feels so unwieldily.

Cheers.
7 1/4 pds. ?!? 😳 That's scarry light for a RUM. Are you gonna brake it ?

Do you have a extended mag box ?
The factory one is pretty short. Couldn't run the 168ttsx at 0.080 off and had to seat them to 0.114" to fit in it.
I shot the Barnes Triple Shok and Tipped Triple Shok 180 gr. for years. Very accurate bullet and a bone buster killer. I ran Berger 185 hunting VLD'S sometimes. I had a CDS turret for both. It was a great shooting bullet also. I ran 98.0 to 99.0 grs. Retimbo. The TTSX 97.0 to 98.0 Retimbo. Back then Fed. 215 and Rem. cases. Sometimes Nosler. I had the 180 TTSX going 3360 fps.. I shot some 150's at 3630 fps. To light for me .

Last edited:
Hey Shane ! I think I shared that with you on another thread last week ! I will look it up again and post it for you.
What make is your barrel ?

Haha, you probably did, I think I am losing it!

Carbon 6/ McGowan.

I have two these barrels and both have been a little slow. The RUM is very accurate so can't complain about that. The 308 win is meh...

Haha, you probably did, I think I am losing it!

Carbon 6/ McGowan.

I have two these barrels and both have been a little slow. The RUM is very accurate so can't complain about that. The 308 win is meh...
I think I'm way ahead of you on losing the memory thing. I have three 300 win mags. I don't even shoot them. Right now I only have a TC Encore hunter barrel in 308 and an 308 AR. Years ago I had a Rem 700 BDL in 308 that was given to me. I needed cash and sold it. Wish I never did but you know how that goes... It was a shooter even with factory loads.

What velocity are you getting with the 215's in the 28" barrel ?
5 shot ave. last time was 3196 fps. Before that I averaged 3198 for 7 shots. Before that 3140. New barrel was 3136 fps.. I have maybe 150 rds. threw it now.
I don't know what happened but I list the velocity data above.

Last edited:
Remington 700 LSS 300RUM 180gr Nosler Acubond , R-P brass, Federal 215M, 97gr retumbo has always been a tack driver 3150 FPS
I have shot same at 98.0 grs.. very accurate. Bought some 200 gr. Accubonds but never tried them. It's a great bullet.

last time was 3196 fps. Before that I averaged 3198 for 7 shots. Before that 3140. New barrel was 3136 fps.. I have maybe 150 rds. through it now.
I like that stock!!! Also interested in your velocity/data for the 215s.

I am currently only at 2998 FPS with them in a 27" tube. N570 and ADG brass. This barrel is SLOOOOOWWW.

245s are at 2832 FPS with N570.
I posted it and edited and know it's in text above reply to trm82. I screwed something up...

Last edited:
338 and they are fantastic.
If you really wanna see impressive short range kill shots…… load up some of the old 180 grain accubond or ballistic tips in that 338 rum. Nosler stopped making the BT. But I've still got a box or 2. It's been years but if I remember correctly we got them up to 3700 fps. UNBELIEVABLE devastation inside of 200 yards on deer and hogs.

If you really wanna see impressive short range kill shots…… load up some of the old 180 grain accubond or ballistic tips in that 338 rum. Nosler stopped making the BT. But I've still got a box or 2. It's been years but if I remember correctly we got them up to 3700 fps. UNBELIEVABLE devastation inside of 200 yards on deer and hogs.
Years ago I shot a Hornady interlock 150 at a Utah buck around 80 yds. It looked like a grenade blew up inside him. That's when I switched to 180's. Now 200 plus.
I have a 300 RUM.