Ran out of scope elevation travel what do you recommend?

It looks like your scope has 65 moa of adj. To be able to use all of that and still have a 100 zero you would need a 32.5 moa base at max or half of your total Scope Elevation . It seems you could get very close with the Burris xtr rings . As stated above.
Good luck to you and your Daughter ! It's great you have her involved in Shooting !

Rum Man

I got the Burris XTR rings on order so I should have enough wiggle room to pick a reasonable configuration and still maintain a 100 yard zero.

We have been practicing over the winter shooting steel targets out in the field. She is finding it more fun than she would have expected. She thinks it is pretty neat to see the plate swing when you hit it and then a little while later hear the impact.

She is making consistent hits 500 yards right now and she wants to make hits to 1000. We are expecting good weather this weekend so I hope we can get out and stretch it out a bit.

Thanks for all the input.

I would suggest lower rings as well.

Are you sure that rail is 20 moa?

How much elevation adjustment is that scope spec'd for?
He's right on asking if that is a 20moa base. My Talley 0moa ring/bases allow just enough for 1000 with my 6.5-284. You should be the same

Canted rings have never given me the warm and fuzzies. Too much opportunity to introduce a pretty serious torque to the scope body and have some really head-scratching issues. Theres plenty of solid mounts out there that are available in whatever additional cant you need. Spuhr, NF, ADM, etc.

Have you tried shimming the back of the rail? Might work. 20 moa rail should easily get you to 1000 yards

I have never liked jacking my scope elevation up and down. Scopes wear...
I am a fan of Heritage Arms 150 MOAB and a 300 mil version is also available
Set MOAB @Zero, sight in scope for 100/200 yds and never touch scope elevation again!
There are others available on the market. Find the one that serves your purpose!

Attachments

• MOAB (2).jpg
    MOAB (2).jpg
    105 KB · Views: 101
Canted rings have never given me the warm and fuzzies. Too much opportunity to introduce a pretty serious torque to the scope body and have some really head-scratching issues. Theres plenty of solid mounts out there that are available in whatever additional cant you need. Spuhr, NF, ADM, etc.

I'm in agreement with the canted scope rings ... sort of. I have two sets of the burris canted rings and they work fine. That said, I'm going with a canted Spuhr Mount on one of my LR rigs next week. It's just more reliable. It's more $$$ too. But I think it's worth it.

I have never liked jacking my scope elevation up and down. Scopes wear...
I am a fan of Heritage Arms 150 MOAB and a 300 mil version is also available
Set MOAB @Zero, sight in scope for 100/200 yds and never touch scope elevation again!
There are others available on the market. Find the one that serves your purpose!
Now I could use this right now ! I have a piece of Steel calling my name at 3000 yrds.
I have been looking at the Valdada adj.base .

Winkfish, just go ahead and order THIS. ;)

PS. I'm running the same scope as you on a 20 MOA base, with +15/40 MOA adjustable Barrett Rings set on +15 for a total of +35 MOA on a custom .338 Lapua. :cool:

Last edited:
Winkfish, just go ahead and order THIS. ;)

PS. I'm running the same scope as you on a 20 MOA base, with +15/40 MOA adjustable Barrett Rings set on +15 for a total of +35 MOA on a custom .338 Lapua. :cool:
Well, has anyone ever looked at Variable Gantry Mount, I got one but haven't tried it yet.
Wait on warm weather here in Illinois.

WAIT, Wait... something does not add up here.. I have a 20 MOA offset Badger Ord base on my 338 Lapua. I have MOA adjustments on my Leupold target scope. I had to adjust elevation DOWN below center to get a 100 yard sight in. none of this is adding up to me.. Winkfish. something is VERY wrong here. you should have more elevation than half your travel. do you have a 1" or a 30MM tube? if it is a 1"; you definitely need a 30MM, 34MM tube with 120 Mils adjustment or slightly more. Bud, I think your scope is bad or something is aweful wrong in this setup. I saw a guy in competition put his 20 MOA offset on backwards before.. sorry about the way this is phrased.. it took me completely off guard. Recheck your setup. I would suggest 30 MM or 34 MM main tube, ditch the talley rings I never trusted them, keep the 20 MOA offset base/rail, and check that Vortex for being bad.

To add does your scope have a reticle with your mils, use that to add to your dial,doesnt cost anything.

Your viper pst will work for a mile.. mount your scope as close to the bore as possible, and you will gain more in elevation. If you need to gain more, contact egw and get a rail with more elevation....they make them up to 40 moa.

Along with Mechanical Adjustments other optical methods exists (besides buying a new scope).
All mechanical adjustments will move the position of the shooter- head and shoulders at a minimum.
While an optical unit can be more $$ than a mechanical it is a one time buy that can then go to multiple rifles as they mount in front of a scope.
We supply multiple models of optical shifting units (we shift the target image up) which can go negative in moa/mil adjustment to presently 900moa. The next generation will be capable of well north or 1000moa. They have been used to create an immediate offset for a subsonic round, instant CQB to 500yds, 100yd to 350yd deer shot, or 100yds to a 7,000yd shot. We were just shooting a LaRue in Rem .260 at 2600yds. Our optics are part of every record out there presently.
Your immediate need could be met with a Micro Charlie set to match your current scope or if you think you are going to go beyond your current platform the Macor Charlie is capable to the 7,000yd shot.
They are both scope mounted and or rail mounted. All of the scope mounts interchange with all of the products and all can be changed to a rail mount with three screws. Kind of like Lego's.
The advantage of the optical systems is that they can take any scope and make it super man.
Long Range is not limited to 6.5's, .338's or .416's and .460's: it is any platform that runs out of optical capability/scope but the projectile/system is capable of more than the optical limit.
Note: be careful of trying to set the scope on its bottom and top limit. They can/will become erratic. I would stay at least 5moa off of the bottom and top.
TACOMHQ.com

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts