Ramshot Vartac scope

The scope is made in Japan and is very similar to a couple of other brands on the market (maybe because they all came out of the same factory). Fairly heavy, solid feel, nice optics and reliable turrets.

The reticle system is somewhat busy, like the Horus. As a matter of fact it is quite like the Horus. Basically a pattern of horizontal and vertical lines (and hash-marks) that are great hold-off points but take up a lot of field of view. I found it a bit difficult to use for really distant prairie dogs, also the pattern is a rectangle and much of it will never be used for holdoff points unless you are shooting in a hurricane or worse. Would make sence to me to make it like the TDS reticle which is shaped like a Xmas tree, wider at the bottom where more windage holdoff is needed.

I used it last summer on a prairie dog shoot, optics are quite nice, turrets are good, not crazy about such a busy reticle pattern but everyone to their own choices.

4x-16xx50mm specs, I would expect you can get some more info from Western Powders (Ramshot).

Anybody else actually used one of these critters yet?

One Shot Firearms here in Wenatchee WA, being a Ramshot dealer, just got in one of the 4-16x50mm mil-dot models, and I must say, if looks were any indication, it'd be a winner. Very nice, well marked elevation turrets. 1/8MOA clicks, 7 minutes per revolution (real point of aggravation for me on the Sightron's, keeping track of that stupid extra half-minute per revolution), 80MOA of windage/elevation adjustment. Looks like the side-focus parallax adjustment should have enough range of travel to be pretty easy to fine tune (the one gripe I have w/ the SS16X42 I have is that the parallax adjust is pretty coarse).

About the only gripes I could find on just eyeballing the scope was that a) the mil-dot reticle didn't quite match what was shown in the picture on their website and in the pamphlet (it's actually more 'standard' than what was shown, but it didn't match the advertising), and b) the windage turret doesn't appear to have lines for indicating which revolution you're on. Probably not a big deal, as most people probably don't put on huge amounts of windage regularly, but it seems like skimping in a kind of un-necessary place.

There is also a 8-32x50mm model that is about 2" longer, has 1/4MOA clicks, 55min elevation, 50min windage, otherwise the same.

Sure looks like it should be worth the money (I think they are in the $800-900 range similar to the Nikons and whatnot); I just hate being a guinea pig. Any volunteers?

grin.gif

Monte

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> The scope is made in Japan and is very similar to a couple of other brands on the market (maybe because they all came out of the same factory). Fairly heavy, solid feel, nice optics and reliable turrets. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ian--whattya tryin to say?? Quit beatin around the bush
wink.gif

please share
grin.gif
grin.gif

JB

When you pick three scopes out of identical boxes and they all have the exact same little piece of paper for instructions, you almost think that they might be coming from the same place
rolleyes.gif

There is much more of that than we would ever guess.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.