RAMSHOT LRT POWDER

I have a pretty good supply of it and when I get back from my hunt next week I'm going to screw the 300 norma barrel on my rifle and go to work. I have a pretty good stash of 220eldx and 225 eldm and I plan to do some fairly in-depth testing.

This was the first powder I tried with my new .264 Win Mag. Long story short, too slow burning out of my 26" barrel.

When I did my ladder test it was great. I saw pressure at 80 grains @ 3500 fps. I loaded two test loads at 79 and 79.5 gr and shot one week later. My velocities were 120 fps lower than the week before. I also noticed unburned powder on my papers. After some head scratching I figured it out. When I did my ladder test, it was 101 degrees. When I shot the next week, it was 87 degrees. All the powder didn't burn due to it being cooler.

I haven't read all of this thread so I may be repeating other's findings. Forgive me if so. I bought several lbs of LRT because of the Retumbo shortage. 66 grains WILL NOT fit in a 6.5-284 regardless of drop tube length. I used it for some 156 Bergers without satisfaction of the results. I tried it in a 257 Wby and got great velocity with 110 sierra game changers. ES was a little high and groups where 1.5 MOA in a ultra lightweight rifle. 3400+ FPS with no pressure and no work up so I'm sure it could tune up much better on the ES and group size. I am planning on a new 257 with 7 twist for the 135 Berger's and will definitely try LRT again.

This was the first powder I tried with my new .264 Win Mag. Long story short, too slow burning out of my 26" barrel.

When I did my ladder test it was great. I saw pressure at 80 grains @ 3500 fps. I loaded two test loads at 79 and 79.5 gr and shot one week later. My velocities were 120 fps lower than the week before. I also noticed unburned powder on my papers. After some head scratching I figured it out. When I did my ladder test, it was 101 degrees. When I shot the next week, it was 87 degrees. All the powder didn't burn due to it being cooler.
Forgive me for asking but what are your papers? what is showing unburned powder?

I'm having a hard time understanding unburned powder in any way I can think of.

Much less due to temp difference?

Were these compressed loads?
If so, what percent of overfill on case capacity?

What primers were used?

What are those papers you mentioned?

I haven't read all of this thread so I may be repeating other's findings. Forgive me if so. I bought several lbs of LRT because of the Retumbo shortage. 66 grains WILL NOT fit in a 6.5-284 regardless of drop tube length. I used it for some 156 Bergers without satisfaction of the results. I tried it in a 257 Wby and got great velocity with 110 sierra game changers. ES was a little high and groups where 1.5 MOA in a ultra lightweight rifle. 3400+ FPS with no pressure and no work up so I'm sure it could tune up much better on the ES and group size. I am planning on a new 257 with 7 twist for the 135 Berger's and will definitely try LRT again.
7tw is, imo, a bit too much for a larger magnum shooting 131/135s. Go 7.5 or even 8 if you live in any elevation. The weatherby will psh that bullet close to 3400fps. Blackjack recommends 7tw for small cases, 7.5 for larger. I have an 83gr wildcat case pushing the 135s @ 3370fps from a 7.75tw barrel.

I am wondering how you got 80 or even 79 grains into a 264 WM? You must have a very compress load.

Forgive me for asking but what are your papers? what is showing unburned powder?

I'm having a hard time understanding unburned powder in any way I can think of.

Much less due to temp difference?

Were these compressed loads?
If so, what percent of overfill on case capacity?

What primers were used?

What are those papers you mentioned?
The wind was in my face. I noticed powder on my paper for notes.

In my humble opinion, unburned powder may have come from a way over compressed load, or maybe not using a magnum primer, or both with a powder that is very slow burning to begin with......this was not because of a temperature difference between 101 and 87 degrees.

Maybe if you said 30 below, I'd more believe it. But, free powder may have been going out the barrel at 101 too, just the wind wasnt blowing it back into you that time.

I will do a quick calc in QL to see what percent of over fill that load was in 264 Mag. case out of curiousity.

Anyone confirmed/disputed any of these 300PRC numbers with LRT?

Cheers,
-mox
It doesn't address your question exactly but I tried it in a 300 WIN with 230 Berger OTM's. Kind seems in the real world, the 300 Win and 300 PRC load data is pretty close. 300 PRC does hold a couple more grains of powder but how much depends on what brand of brass each is using.

I was basing my starting loads off the 300 PRC 225 ELDM data from Ramshot (there's no 300 WIN load data).

These speeds are with a 24" barrel:

1633886592627.png

I have some data with 300 prc, I'll try to find it. If memory serves, it was very good but ended with n570 with 245's for hunting and 8133 with 250's for target. Will be working up a 6.5prc with 153 Atips pretty soon and lrt will be one of the trials. Not sure if it's been posted but western has the temp gain for lrt and said it was on par with other like powders