Ramshot Hunter 30 06 and 6.5CM

I scored 2 lbs of Ramshot Hunter and according to Western Powders load data and Hornady Edition 11 Hunter delivers good velocities for 30 06 and 6.5 Creedmoor, even faster than H4350. It's also a spherical so should meter well.

Anyone have experience with Ramshot Hunter?
I've been running Ramshot Hunter in 300WSM with 150 Nosler Accubond for many years, and in 243 Winchester with 80 grain Sierra also. It's Awesome! Great speeds and accuracy. Single digits Es and Sd.

View attachment 273005
30-06 it was either a full case or just lightly compressed. I tried a workup before with standard primers and it looked more like a shotgun. Switched to WLRM primers and got 2770 ft/sec with a 180 Sierra pro hunter. Lowest SD's I've ever seen for 8 shots. I also threw it in the freezer to check temp sensitivity. 2770 was at 70 degrees and after 2 hours in my freezer they clocked 2760. If I had to guess the problems happen when the ambient temps get over 85-90 but it looks like it does pretty well from 70 to freezing at the very least
Thank you I talked to Western Powders on the phone and they said to use regular LR primers.

I'm not telling you to ignore what they said, but I'd let the chronograph and the target tell you what primers.

Thank you. I've got some Federal and CCI Magnum primers to try if the regs don't work. I did ask him about the need for magnum primers with spherical powders, he said that applied to powders in the 70s and 80s.

He most likely said to use a regular primer because when they did their test that's what they used.Primers do make a difference.Winchester primers,both large rifle and magnum are supposed to be the hottest.My loads are tailored around them so I guess that's better than having a load tailored around a colder primer and then switching to a hotter primer that could cause some issues.I compared the WLRM primers to Federal Match Magnum Primers and WLRM was giving me about 15fts higher velocities.I couldn't see any difference in the groups.I tried some S&B magnum primers that I had and those loads grouped well,but the velocity was about 40fts slower than my loads with the WLRM primers.

He most likely said to use a regular primer because when they did their test that's what they used.Primers do make a difference.Winchester primers,both large rifle and magnum are supposed to be the hottest.My loads are tailored around them so I guess that's better than having a load tailored around a colder primer and then switching to a hotter primer that could cause some issues.I compared the WLRM primers to Federal Match Magnum Primers and WLRM was giving me about 15fts higher velocities.I couldn't see any difference in the groups.I tried some S&B magnum primers that I had and those loads grouped well,but the velocity was about 40fts slower than my loads with the WLRM primers.
In my case I worked up using CCI 200's I believe and then for sure used WLRM's. My ES went from 60 ft/sec to 7 ft/sec in my case. I haven't tried it with any other ball powders to really establish a trend. I know that load shoots lights out though now

Gunwriter John Barsness has done a lot of work with Ramshot powders and is a fan, particularly of Big Game but also uses the others as well. He has written that he often gets better accuracy with the Ramshot shpericals using magnum primers. In a recent post on the 24hourcampfire, he said he had never seen a magnum primer give worse accuracy than a standard with Ramshot brand, and often significantly better.

Here is a link to a good article of his on the 30-06 in which he gives loads for both Big Game and Hunter
Getting the Most Out of Your 30-06
Good luck with the loading and shooting,
Rex

Hows the thump on the shoulder with that load? Will my lightweight Tikka T3x Superlite let me know it's been shot? Lol
I've never shot a Tikka,but I have a Sako,Remington and a CZ 30-06.I don't find any of those to be hard kickers.I did have a Remington 700 that kicked harder than any rifle I had including my 338 Win Mag or 300 Win Mags.That thing was just ugly.It had and older Pachmayr recoil pad,the open hole ones like you see on shotguns,it was soft but man it would sting a leave you with a bruised shoulder.That same rifle with a pad switch to a Limbsaver felt like a totally different rifle.I hear a lot of people complaining about how hard their Tikkas kick,a recoil pad change may be worth a try.

I've never shot a Tikka,but I have a Sako,Remington and a CZ 30-06.I don't find any of those to be hard kickers.I did have a Remington 700 that kicked harder than any rifle I had including my 338 Win Mag or 300 Win Mags.That thing was just ugly.It had and older Pachmayr recoil pad,the open hole ones like you see on shotguns,it was soft but man it would sting a leave you with a bruised shoulder.That same rifle with a pad switch to a Limbsaver felt like a totally different rifle.I hear a lot of people complaining about how hard their Tikkas kick,a recoil pad change may be worth a try.
I put a Sims recoil pad on my Winchester Model 70 Featherweight 30-06 with McMillan stock. The recoil wasn't abusive, but you definetely felt it with 180 gr bullets. It's really mild and pleasant to shoot rifle with the Sims pad.

I put a Sims recoil pad on my Winchester Model 70 Featherweight 30-06 with McMillan stock. The recoil wasn't abusive, but you definetely felt it with 180 gr bullets. It's really mild and pleasant to shoot rifle with the Sims pad.
Easy fix to make your rifle more pleasant to shoot.That's why I never bought into recoil tables.The pad makes a huge difference and you will shoot much better if your rifle doesn't hurt you.