Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

Windpants
How many rounds did you get out of your first barrels ?

Hal
About 700. It's a barrel burner so I had two barrels chambered this time. I was cleaning that one to bare metal with Iosso every time. I'm trying to be a little smarter about cleaning and not using abrasives, so I'm curious to see what difference that will make with this barrel.

Windypants, I would love to hear more about positive compensation.
Alex explains it in his podcast better than I can. The theory is that the slower bullets in your ES spread leave the barrel at the top of the vibration, and the faster bullets at the bottom, so that their paths converge at a certain distance. That would be desirable if you're only shooting competition at, say, 1000 yards. I'm wondering, if I do have that going on, if I should retune my load to be more accurate at all ranges instead of just extremely accurate at one range.

It sure keeps it interesting experimenting and learning!

Windypants, the coyote vocalizations change with the time of the year. In December you will start seeing the female sounds working good as breeding season is coming and both male and female will respond to it as breeding season heats up male howls will work on older males but not younger males or females when you are in their area, but female vocalizations start working. As denning season starts getting close male howls start working on both male and female in their area, they don't want anyone in their areas at that time. A lone coyote of either sex at this time doesn't want to be caught in a denning pairs area so they tend to leave with howls but respond to a wounded coyote. At this time of the year over calling is so easy to do one long howl in a minute or even two is about all I use just to make them curious so that they will come stand and look mostly not saying anything, to the edge of the territory if it's not theirs. If I don't know for sure that I am in someone's territory I just use some interrogation howls or when I know for sure that I am just outside of their area and want them to come to their boundary line and show themselves, I use some interrogation howls. After the last of April, I mostly set in the early morning and listen for them to tell me where they are You will hear a long lone male howl then up to a minute later you will hear a long lone female howl answer, she got in a position to see and be heard well but not right at the den. He will tell her again that he is coming home from another location she will answer from the same place. When I know for sure where the den is then I will get close but not too close to it and then you can use the puppy distress sounds at the right time of the day early mornings till about 8:00 but after sunrise when they will both be home or latter in the afternoon after probably 2:00 or 3:00 PM but then I want them to come on the run and a shot gun is the weapon of choice . But if I want a longer shot, I will get nearly on the den set up and just do a howl of either sex so that they will then go out and try to lure me away from the den. If I want the male from the den, I will wait till about 9:00 or 10:00 in the morning set up a couple hundred yards from the den and do a long male howl he most often will lay some place where he can see your set up and the den both at the same time and not say a thing it will work for the female later in the afternoon or earlier in the morning using male howls close but not on top of the den. Just one howl waiting for up to two minutes before howling again. So many times, they just lay or set without any sounds just being ready to protect the pups. When I have killed one of the pair and taken the pups, and carried them out of the area so they can't be found by the remaining coyote or coyotes I come back at dawn set up within a couple of hundred yards do two short yodeling howls and two quick barks wait 30 seconds or so and repeat it using the male sounds if that is the one I killed or the female sounds if that is the one I killed. The coyote vocalizations change with the seasons and the situations the coyotes and time spent will tell you what and how they will respond with.

It is getting to the time of the year when they are telling you this is my area I don't want you to come over here I plan to have my pups here please stay out. Try to listen to what they say so you can use it in the future for the lone coyotes in other areas to get them to stand or lay down at distance in their areas.

It's good to know quite a bit of what the coyotes are saying but for what you and I do it really doesn't take a lot of their vocabulary it's mostly figuring out what to say when and why we want to say it to them at that time, so they don't say to themselves what the he99 that's not right I'm leaving now this isn't the place for me. Like with any of the calling sounds, rabbit or deer and any of the other sounds if they feel it's out of time or place, they will be cautious, so many times it's their caution that people mistake for being educated. When their numbers are lower, they are more cautious it really is that simple in most cases. As we have killed most of the coyotes by this time of the year that weren't cautious or were the younger hungrier ones it just stands to reason that they won't be as bold for the most part so then when we ere it should be on the side of caution also. Over the years I have met some pretty smart coyotes just like we find some pretty smart domestic dogs, the smarter more cautious coyotes survive to breed with smarter more cautious coyotes we are actually doing selective breeding of them unintentionally in that manor but that's what keeps it so interesting to us and so frustrating for others. My Grandmother and Grandpa always told me to do my best at whatever I did and to give 8 hours of work if I ask for 8 hours of pay, the ranchers appreciate it when you do your best for them as well while you are learning more as you go along it's just so much enjoyment for me in return.

Windypants: what is your rifle cleaning regime now? What are you using to remove the copper something with ammonia, hydrogen cyanide or other copper remover? Do you use a break-in method?
I did the one and clean break-in routine until it quit laying copper. After doing more research, on my next barrel I'm going to try just shooting normal with no break-in. I have a new 25 Creed coming in the near future to try that on.

Right now I'm using Boretech Eliminator and bronze brushes and am very pleased with the results. I wipe the easy stuff out with several wet patches, then 20 slow strokes with the brush and patch it out. Then wet brush for a couple strokes and let it soak. More strokes then patch it out. I repeat as needed, sometimes overnight if I don't need my rifle sooner. Also, I rotate a .40 cal. bronze brush in the throat to get the beginnings of the carbon ring out.

The eliminator is supposed to be safe to let it soak, and it gets the copper without using any ammonia based solvent. The brushes have to be changed often though. I monitor this process with my Teslong borescope.

I asked Alex if he would tell me when I was getting it clean enough by posting pictures from the borescope. He said I was getting it way too clean by cleaning to bare metal. I think I really abused that barrel with Iosso paste, just out of ignorance. I am getting some hard carbon build up, so at some point I may need to use Iosso. Alex said he does that maybe once in a barrels life.

I just load 25 rounds at a time for this rifle and clean when I shoot them up. It's pretty quick and easy to clean this way, and it only needs one fouler to be accurate. And my cartridges are always pretty fresh.

The main thing is to fill in any rough places in the bore and get them smoothed out so that it stops grabbing copper and runs smoothly, for consistent bullet performance. Today's bores start out better than any made before them have ever. I still do the one and clean then 3 and clean with the boretech eliminator for a few rounds, I sight in at the same time as the ten one shots then fine tune my loads. I use a wet brush in my bore and a good bronze and stainless-steel chamber brush for the carbon ring with prolong penetrating oil, it breaks down carbon well so don't let it get on my stocks ect. and will not harm steel it was designed for use in engines, I plug my barrel stand it on the muzzle and fill the chamber to soak overnight to soften any carbon ring. I run dry patches and a shotgun bore mop to clean out the chambers. The final patches run through the bore are with frog lube but then I use frog lube on all of my metal parts firing pin, trigger, bolt raceway, bolt, and all of the outside of my rifles. I was using some ammonia-based copper fowling removers and some hydrogen cyanide-based copper fowling cleaners they are hard on me and my equipment a seal friend of mine told me about the frog lube. Alot of years ago I used boat wax instead of the CLP in the green can, to protect from rain and high humidity, in a different world, and graphite in the bolt for the firing pin and spring as well as on the bolt and raceway, so that the dirt, dust and cold weather didn't mess with its function in this climate. As with anything else I like to hear how others do things so that I might hear of a better way and change how I do things. Thank You for sharing it's a never-ending process of improvement!

Whats frog lube? Don't know for sure if it's right or wrong, but I quit using lube in the bore since the fouler takes it out anyway. I use One Shot lube on other parts— it doesn't seem to collect dust and isn't affected by cold. A duck hunter recommended that.

Always good to learn from others!

Great stuff! Thank you, Dave. I've been practicing with my mouth calls at making those vocalizations, so hopefully I can put it to use. I'll have a good wind in the morning to go back to that same ranch. He's very anxious for me to get some more of those coyotes.
I went back this morning, looking forward to using the interrogation howls with my mouth call. I never saw or heard a single coyote! I guess they went to bed early this morning. Then I saw one along the highway and the three upcountry from the house at mid- day. Oh well— I guess my timing was just off. Then I missed one this evening by dialing the wrong way for the wind. Oh well again!🫤

milestown; It does. I don't overuse it and only turning it by hand with my short rod and bore guide. Windypants; Frog Lube is a cleaner and a lubricant it's a two-part system one part cleans, and the other part lubricates the metal it penetrates when heated then works like a dry polish or wax to protect from moisture but also leaves the surface slick but dry. I haven't needed to fire a fowling shot when using it. It was designed and made by SEALS for use in and near salt water or in the deserts as well. Here where we don't have high humidity and now that we don't have mercury fulminate primers or corrosive powders it's not as important to protect your bore as it once was. If you shoot any Russian or Chinese ammo it is important to clean and lube your firearms as they still use mercury fulminate primers. I also was issued some 30-06 125 grain ammo 10 or 15 years ago that still had corrosive primers that had been in storage Winchester took them back and gave me new ammo in exchange as one of the cases split. It was the old yellow and red box supper-x. any of the older military surplus ammo might be corrosive as well.