Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

I was watching people filling sandbags in an attempt to save some of their things and themselves from a predicted hurricane land fall and it occurred to me these people had never been taught how to use a shovel correctly . These are people trying to help themselves that had never been taught how to do hard work , how to dig with a shovel or fill a sandbag but they were there trying to help themselves and their neighbors in a time of need . Would they listen to you if you tried to help them and explain how to use the shovel to their advantage , maybe - maybe not but the impressive thing is that even without knowing how or really what they are supposed to be doing they are trying !

Stay safe be as well prepared as you can you have been there do that before so you know better what you need to do then me . I have friends in the line department and after storms they travel to the hard hit areas and help get the power flowing again 16 hour days - 7 - days a week till the job is done .

The last time I was in one was August of 1975 interesting but not much fun . I looked out the porthole and could count 7 water spouts they called them typhoons there . I only was in three of them over the time I was around where they were . Wishing all the best out come .

The past Friday I had to do some traveling . I put on around 400 miles in my state and as I drove I noticed that the antelope , deer and cows were all bedded down at 10:30 in the morning and were still bedded down at 3:00 in the afternoon . Me being curious by nature I checked on what time the moon came up and set on Friday 7 / October 2022 . interestingly the moon rise was at 5:59 P.M. and the moon had set at 4;54 A.M . that morning . So then on Saturday I had to make a short trip of around 90 miles and found that the animals were all bedded at 9;30 A.M. in the morning but on my way home I saw a coyote trotting in a field near the interstate at 11:27 A.M. but the other animals were still for the most part still bedded down . The moon set had been at 5:56 A.M. and the moon rise was going to be at 6;33 P.M. . Just a few of the things that I noticed while traveling that I found interesting to me so thought I would share them with others . It's been a very busy month for me as well as it has for most others . I lost a good friend then two days latter one of my brothers-in-laws died but the rest of the last couple of months has been good . Life happens to all of us good and bad things will come and go we go on and do what we do in the mean time . I have made around a dozen folding knives and machined one side charging upper receiver for a 223 and made a piston drive system for it at the same time , and that tends to keep me busy and out of trouble with my wife for the most part she tolerates me well puttering around in her way .

Last edited:
I actually buy an inexpensive folding knife and make a good blade for it . I started using three types of metal for the blades 52-100 bearing steel , AEB-L stainless steel and 440-c stainless steel . I made blades from all three types heat treated them learned the best way for me to get a good blade that I could get them to hold an edge but not be too brittle so that they broke . I then needed to test them under real world use conditions so I gave them to ranchers that I know to use for me . That way I could get enough testing of them done in a years time that it would take me a life time to doing it myself . I have around thirty knives out being used on a daily basis some fixed blade and some folding knives . It's a kind of a hobby thing and not something I want to turn into a job as I don't need a job I've had enough of them in this life time and am out to make something useful and keep me occupied and not just setting around . Most of the people really like the edge holding of the 52-100 steel but not that it will rust . They like the 440-C next best for edge retention and corrosion protection , both are fairly easy for me to heat treat well with what I have . The AEB-L isn't bad but I have found the other two to be better for my uses .

I always have myself and I still preferer the 52-100 blades for my own use but in todays world it seems that a lot of people like a stainless steel blade . In the 70's when I first got a stainless steel blade made by Kabar patterned after the buck lock back made for the U S N it was so hard that I had a lot of work putting an edge on it but it would hold an edge for a long time . It was made of 440-c stainless steel and they had a proprietary tempering and heat treating process that made it hard but tough not brittle . It wasn't cost effective at the time but it met the governments specs . They heated them to 1950 F quenched them and froze them with dry ice for 24 hours then repeated it for a total 3 times before bring it up to 350 F and then water quenched them . gotta love metal and it's micro structure .