Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

Per Mr. Sheetz

1660315220258.jpeg

Thank You Buck . It's just Dave . The call is American walnut again from Ohio . I will soak it in wood hardener till it is totally saturated to stabilize it then finish it with a good polyurethane . The knife is a spring assisted opening knife so I can open it with one hand when the other is busy . It had a blade that was too soft to hold a good edge so I went to the garage and took it apart looked it over made a few measurements and decided to make a copy of it . Most of my life I have spent working with our standard measuring system this one is metric as it was a Chinese made one . I got out my 52-100 bearing steel made a rough cut out of the blade then did all of the finishing work before heat treating it . It didn't take a lot of actual work time but a few days to get it done because of the hold times involved . heat the metal to nonmagnetic hold for 20 minutes then quinch in 125 degree quenching oil . Cool it with dry ice for 24 hours bring it to room temp. and repeat for 3 times . heat it to 350 and hold for 2 hours then quinch in cold water to make it tough then finish grind it and put an edge on it add my gun black where I want it with the blade at 125 degrees F . Then finish it I don't know what the grain structure of the metal is but I know from experience that by doing what I did I changed it to a very fine grain structure with no carbides or carbon surrounding the grains .

Last edited:
Very fine workmanship Dave! On all of it. As you have found, it's interesting that different woods have different tones/sounds. I too with the numerous duck&goose calls. The harder the wood the crisper the sound, I like a more mellow but loud. It's all about the grain structure I believe. BE VERY CAREFUL if you ever use any of the exotic woods. Many of these actually make alot of people sick from the dust while turning them. The finished products are fine, just the dust while making them. Several friends that make waterfowl calls have found this out. Just fine with domestics ie maple, hedge, walnut, but not good with cocabola, african black wood, and others.

It is true there are so many hidden dangers in our world . I was working a turbine job once . They had sent a couple of guys over to do a job but they wouldn't do it so they told me go over and start cleaning these turbine blades with a wire wheel on this angle grinder . I said ok but first why didn't the other guys do it . Well there is cadmium under the scale and they don't want exposed to it . Ok then why is it ok for me to be exposed to it then , well your old and you will probably be dead before it affects you . It's so sad that some people think like that but they do . That boss ended up getting fired from another job because of the same kind of thing , and I didn't clean those parts either they were sent out and cleaned in a containment with walnut hulls and a sand blaster not with any grit .

I find it interesting that you can pretty much tell what day of the year it is by what animals are around . Here the first part of January , the second week the Canada geese will start showing up , in the middle of February the Robbins show up from the 10th to the 15th . , around March 15th to the 17th you will start seeing meadow larks and western blue birds , The end of July you will be seeing racoon cubs getting out on their own , mid August the young skunks are out running around , near the end of August you will start seeing the red fox kits of the year roaming around . In early September the young coyote will start learning to kill and will be hitting the lambs of this year hard then by the end of September you will start to see them out on their own .

It's interesting to me the way that calls have evolved in just a short amount of time . The first calling machine I was exposed to was a battery powered RCA 45 rpm record player with a record made of the government trappers coyote answering some wild coyote . Next came the Philips cassette tape players with mostly homemade cassettes , Soon some enterprising people started making and selling tapes of varying quality's . Burnham Brothers and Johnny Stewart were leaders in the field at that time they both soon started producing cassette callers . I had both of their calling machines and soon found that I liked the Johnny Stewart MS512 best . No it wasn't perfect by any means with all of the cassette players you needed to take the tape out at the end and turn it over or rewind then to start playing them again . The tapes were often reproduced so many times that the sound quality was degraded , they would get loose and then the tape would get eaten . You also needed to clean the heads on the player , change the batteries or recharge then on a regular bases cold weather was not a friend of them at all , hot weather in your truck with the dust and dirt of the field played havoc with the machines and tapes as did the constant vibrations .

Sometime in the early to mid 80's I asked about electronically reproducing sounds at a Radio Shack they laughed at me and made some comment about my mental state . Soon there after someone came out with a CD player with CD's of animal distress sounds quickly followed by electronically reproduced sounds . Speakes also evolved with the calls as well . They started out as small speakers that were designed to transmit the human voice in our hearing range then songs . Some people took speakers from their cars and built box's for them then came horn style speakers designed for the cassette machine callers . With the CD's they had a built in small speaker as did the first e-calls . Soon they put two speakers one on each end of what looked like a flash light one was supposed to be for more base sounds then the other and was advertised as you being able to have two different sounds by using one speaker or the other or a third sound by using them both at the same time . I don't think the perfect call has or probably ever will be built they all ( even hand calls ) have their good points and bad points , We are humans and we make mistakes so then the things that we produce for sale to others are good for us but may not be what another person thinks is what they want . We each and every one of us make our own minds up as to what we want in every product we use from the soap we use to clean our bodies to the trucks we drive and the homes we live in and what furnishings we put in them . What I use and think is awesome you might think is the biggest piece of junk that you have ever seen . Even the laboratory testing being done , the studies done on wild life and such are subject to our own interpretations and the interpretations of those doing the studies . In the end a lot of the new innovations being mentioned about any of the products we buy are a gimmick designed by the sellers to entice us into buying their products thus the saying let the buyer be ware which has been around for generations of buyers .

In the end a lot of the new innovations being mentioned about any of the products we buy are a gimmick designed by the sellers to entice us into buying their products thus the saying let the buyer be ware which has been around for generations of buyers .
Yes Sir .
Every year the manufacturers bring out the "Latest and Greatest Fishing Lures" ,..........
.......... And the Fishermen Keep BITING !!!!!

I'm testing what my Grandson showed me to do so I can see if I have it right . This is a knife that I was making and I had just put the scales on the tang the rivets weren't set and the purple heart wood hadn't been finished yet . most of the grinding had been done and the sheath wasn't made for it yet .

Attachments

• knife.JPG
    knife.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 43
Last edited:
The blade material is 52-100 bearing steel triple heat treated and cryo treated between heats as well as being drawn back at 350 degrees F for two hours then ground nearly to finished before putting the scales on it . I set the rivets then finished the handle before finishing the grind and putting an edge on it then made a sheath for it . I tried some AEB-L stainless but with what I have to do the heat treatments with I'm better off with 440-C stainless steel or the 52-100 bearing steel .

Recent Posts