Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

Neal , what is the country like where your going coyote hunting ? Open sage brush and grass lands with rolling hills ? Howling at this time of the year gets the blood pumping as they come looking to kick the intruders out of their home areas . Some simple howls tend to work good . A howl of normal length , a few seconds wait then another howl the same wait a few seconds an give two quick barks followed with another howl . Wait a few minutes and do it again They will either answer you and then go quiet as they start coming in to you or if you are close to their den they will just show up on the run or be setting and watching you . I like to have a backing of sage brush or similar backing not sky lined and walk quietly , hide my truck and close the doors quietly . but you know all that stuff . A good hand held or voice howler can have a blast and exciting time this time of the year . Enjoy your hunt .

I had to make a trip to Casper this A.M. . On my way back I saw a coyote standing with a couple of yearling antelope wish I would have been able to get a picture of it and the antelope as it was a bigger mountain coyote . It was only about 8 to 10 inch's shorter then the antelope and was as long as they were not counting it's tail . They were out at 10:00 A.M. In a prairie dog town near a water reservoir 400 yards off of the highway . The rancher they were on doesn't allow coyote hunting and that's okay it's their choice .

It's all huge farmlands with some shallow drainages with sagebrush where they'll probably be. He's good friends with all the big farmers and ( see if I can spell this right) hooterites? I'm basically just there to shoot and I suspect he's just going to drive around to where they're being a problem until he spots them. Likely way the heck out there and then I'll setup and shoot. I will probably drag another friend with me that has uncanny ability to see vapor trail and truth be told a better shot than me. I'm just extremely lucky and during the day over there it's always windy with mirage. Here's a picture of his grandson shooting my 22 creed @ 1000 that kinda gives and idea

Attachments

• BDEE446B-9345-402A-AAB8-C65C8998A3CB.jpeg
    BDEE446B-9345-402A-AAB8-C65C8998A3CB.jpeg
    316 KB · Views: 37
I love that type of area and terrain for coyote work . Close to what I live in . I know who you are speaking of there are a few of them that pass through here going from Montana to Utah or the other direction . They tend to stay to themselves here .

I'm trying to hurry and get things ready to mill up some logs for a friend that are too big for his mill next Sunday and then heading up with a buddy to shoot some LR and fireform some brass. Time is so short when I'm still grinding out work weeks

Attachments

• 4CC6C7FE-79D1-49F3-8DEA-F909DBD60043.jpeg
    4CC6C7FE-79D1-49F3-8DEA-F909DBD60043.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 34
Shooting went really good but man, I hate to stereo type but my buddy is a pure construction worker. I cringed watching him shove that bent stainless steel cleaning rod through the barrel. It's like everything is on the clock. Round peg, square hole, don't matter. Dam good shot though. We were up in the woods shooting and had a rabbit and a squirrel come about 15' from us. Seen a few deer on our way out. All in all feels good to be alive!

Hey DSheetz, I know somewhere in this thread you've already posted but what electric call would you recommend again? I screenshot your advice and ill see if Kyle can figure out a place to set up. I've never used any type of call so I'll have to mess with it to try and make it do what you suggested

Recent Posts