Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

BigDon , it looks like it might be a JE Machine Ergo grip . I like the Blackhawk grips myself because of my hand size . There are a lot of different pistol grips for the AR platform now .

Reemty J. how is your bipod working out for you this year ? Have you been putting the stalk on any coyote this year ? I visited with Gene the other day . He was telling me that the fox numbers here are way down but that the coyote numbers are up in our area this year . The fox have mange in them pretty bad here . He said that the deer numbers are low this year as they have hemorrhagic disease in them here now . Nature takes it's tole on them and the numbers show time after time they increase then have a boom and a bust cycle .

Dave, just got back from a trip to Montana. Not a lot of coyotes this year because of the drought. No ponds and stock dams. Most of the coyotes are close to water sources. Most hanging out by the river and not in the hills. Plenty of dead whitetail to feed on because they are all dying off.

Straight Shooter , it sounds like there might be some of the hemorrhagic disease up there also to go along with the drought . Did any of the coyote have mange ? Were there any red fox around where you were ? Are the rabbit and other prey animals suffering badly also due to disease ect. up there ? I was out down here a couple of weeks ago and didn't see one rabbit .

Been awfully quiet on the ramblings here lately. Hope all are doing well and made it through the holidays. Personally been too busy working and not hardly enough time to get out after the coyotes. I need more stories so I can read the adventures of the rest of you lol. Surely ReemtyJ has laid some out lately. Lets get the rambling back going!

Back in about 77, a buddy and I was out in the snow, looking to put his first coyote down, up by lake Davis Ca. We were setting back-to-back up against a big log laying on the ground, in the edge of a little flat. I had hit the Circe for a second series and looked up the hill to see a yote running full boar, zigzagging thru the sage.
I whispered here comes one my side to him, and heard him adjusting to see, the yote ran out onto the flat, about 30 yards away, he slowed to a trot, and before I could stop him with a bark, my buddy sent one, missed, sent another, miss... that yote flat moved and was gone. After giving my buddy some crap for missing, and not waiting till he stopped, we walked over to look at his tracks. There in the snow was a turd, then a couple of steps, another turd. We laughed, and I told my buddy "You scared the crap out of that one".
Mike

I've been putting some parts together to build an AR 15 in 223 Wylde . I started with a 20" 1:9 twist stainless steel barrel . I plan on running some heaver then 55 grain bullets . Got an Anderson lower and upper receiver set . The upper is a sporter smooth side as I don't need a forward assist , I saw too many people get excited and pound the heck out of the forward assist and really jamb things up . I took the upper receiver and made sure the barrel extension was true to the bore for the bolt carrier group . I built a lap for that so I put it into the receiver and lap the front of the barrel extension to make it true with the bolt carrier group bore . I bought an Adams Arms piston drive kit for a rifle length barrel in 223 that has an adjustable gas block . I modified a hand guard that I had so that it will fit the piston drive system and still be free floating . I needed to do some machine work on the barrel nut so that it has a notch for the drive rod and be the correct length so the rod engages the one piece bolt carrier group with the correct .015 clearance . I will be getting a drop in trigger group set in the 3.5 pound range most likely a raise armament curved trigger instead of the straight trigger as that is what feels comfortable to me . In the future I will make it into a side charging nonreciprocating upper receiver by doing some machine work on the receiver and building an adapted charging handle and bolt rotating pin for the bolt carrier group . I like the AR platform better then the AK platform but the AK just keeps on running . It is cooler running as well as cleaner then the gas impingement system but the tolerance's aren't nearly as tight . It keeps me busy and out of the wind and cold . In the last couple of months we have had a lot of windy days as well as nights some gusts up to 110 mph . I hope all have had a good Christmas and that every one has a good healthy New Year .

I will check out the La Rue triggers . I had a 1969 model AK that always shot when you pulled the trigger but it was a pray and spray type of rifle , I want this one to be sub moa when I'm done with it . Then I will have to call a couple of the ranchers I worked for and go test drive it on a few coyote . I got the shots and a booster but still have a viral rash that has lasted for over two months but I'm still breathing and several people I knew aren't . I live in the least vaccinated state and know a few people that have had it twice but they say it's not as bad the second time around except one of them that ended up in the hospital the second time but not the first time around . Stay well and have a good beginning to 2022 .

It was 42 degrees at 11:00 AM and 28 degrees by 1:00 PM yesterday . The wind came up and was blowing at a steady 30 mph with gusts to 70 mph the evening before last . When I woke at 4:30 AM today it was -6 but the wind was only blowing 5 mph . We only have about 5 inches of fresh snow now but south of here by Cheyenne they have close to 12 inches and 30mph winds and lower single digit temperature's . I'm glad to be where I am and not down there . Stay in , stay warm and stay safe .

Last night my dogs were restless so I stepped outside and there was a lot of coyotes "singing" so this evening I had men's meeting at church but while I was gone my son n daughter went out to see if they could call any in or stir them up n they got no response until they hit the female howl n then it got real exciting but they were unable to connect but we will try again maybe when I can go to give some backup..its rainy n the fog is moving in n I wish I could afford a thermal cause I think they would show up a lot better