Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

An example of the 204 CZ with 39 grain SBK bullet, my " opinion" best long range coyote bullet made! A good friend of mine shot an antelope over the weekend at 130 yards in the neck, it was facing him, it exited out the back of the neck but used itself up inside. Keep in mind that neck was probably 5 to 6" thru and it crushed a vertebrae along the way, dropped dead in his scope view. Here is the best part it grossed 81" that is a good speed goat round these parts. He also popped two coyotes with it.

Bullet design actually is rocket science . So much plays into the shape of a bullet and how well it performs . Not all bullets are meant do do the same things . The bearing surface , the base , the ogive , sectional density all play into the ballistic coefficient of them . So I let the people like Brian Litz figure that stuff out for me then do what I like to do and study their findings and do my best to decide what bullet will do the best for what I want to use it for in the average conditions that I will be using it in and for . That and the use of them is to me the fun part of it . The actual bullets that we have today are like the rest of the things we shoot now as compared to even 30 years ago have been improved on and made better , better alloys , different shapes of ogives and bases , the length of the bearing surfaces all have been studied more and redesigned even the hollow points that I like have had a plastic tip inserted in them to improve the flight characteristics as well as the expansion . Change for the better not for the sake of change or just to make a profit off of us is a good thing .

Well guys, it's dam near show time on keeping coyotes for fur. My skinner buddy asked me to wait till closer to the 20th but may pop a few sooner, listen to my skinner complain😳😉😂 plan on doing a little more big game hunting but gonna start putting the hurt on coyotes so I will be updating you at times 🤝👍🇺🇸🇺🇸🙏☝️

Reemty J ,

You have a "skinner" ?
Shades of the days of the Buffalo hunters who had a team of "skinners" that followed behind the shooter , skinning the Buffalo to collect their hides .

Reemty J , "You Be DA' MAN".

Good luck in your big game hunts with that new rifle , and your Coyote hunts with your .204 rifle .

DMP25-06

Yesterday was the birthday of the U.S. Navy it turned 246 years old . I notice that a lot of retired Navy Seals are now running for office in their home states knowing that these guys have good I.Q.'s and have had a lot of experiences I think they will do well for our country in political office as they did in our military . It is not my wish for this site to become a political site I just wanted to mostly say happy birthday to the branch that I served in so Happy Birthday United States Navy And many more , fair winds and following seas to all !

Have any of you guys looked at the 408 Chetac , and the 416 Barrett bullet designs ? Every part of them are aireldynamicly designed even the bearing surfaces are designed for low drag thus they can and do reach out farther then the average bullets . Barrett even went so far as to blend a powder just for use in their long range 416 . I know it would be cost prohibitive but I think that using a CNC machine and turning out a few 308 bullets with similar design would produce some interesting results from a 30-06 or a 308 win. .

Well we put the "tap in the keg" went out this am close to town, did some glassing, spotted a group of three, easy to tell the adult male, dwarfed the other two. They were 3/4 mile away and angling away to the southwest. Watched them go out of site and moved around to the south side of the section, walked up a tree line to get close enough to call, I was looking north, wind was left to right, tree line to my left, barley pivot to my right. Sat down and ready my tripod, started glassing and a coyote steps out of the trees into the pivot 175 yards away. Figured it was a female, waited for broadside didn't happen, took a slight quartering away, bang flop, juvenile male. Bullet entered behind ribs on his right, fragment exited low on left side of his chest……here we go, back out tomorrow morning. Tried 20 minutes calling after the shot, no shows.

I have a leoptima carbon tripod, OMG when you put your rifle in the saddle it is rock steady. Has the ball head and is smooth going left and right, no weight to balance, just hold gun, pull trigger, makes a Harris bipod look bad….just doing some dry firing at 500 yards, it is extremely steady, should be a-game changer on hits, hopefully minimize misses. We will see.

The reason this happened the way it did so easy this morning is what Dave Sheetz constantly brings up. Approach out of sight and quiet, move slow so you can capitalize on opportunity. I stayed in the shade, between spaced tree rows and glassed from cover. I try to approach calling stands like I am stalking a coyote. We have the ability out here to see far, so does the coyote, but using cover, swales and ditches works against them. I travel just like the coyote does, using low ground and just peek over to glass. YMMV 👍🙏🤝🇺🇸 I can tell you this, after doing this for 38 years, my heart was still beating fast when I spotted the coyote, even when glassing, it is pure and simple a habitual addiction!

Last edited: