Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

There is a lot that a person can learn from watching video's of others calling coyote . You can watch the reactions of the coyote to different scenarios and you don't need to react to them your self so you can be calm and just observe them . You can also learn some bad habits that others have . You can learn some of the things that others do when they are calling what sequence and sounds that they use . You can see how your calls don't have to be perfect , and they aren't often what we would think is perfect when done by the animals themselves . A good example is howls done by other people on different howlers or diaphragm calls when we hear them done by some people we say to ourselves what the 0986 is it they are trying to do here but then you hear coyote respond to it , or is it through the magic of editing ? As with all the things in this world we need to be cautious of what we take as gospel on these videos and as has been pointed out here the things that coyote in my area do may or may not be what they do in your area . The videos and the youtube sites have a good entertainment value and some good chances to learn it's up to us to sort it out as to what is relative to us and what isn't . The saying buyer be ware has been around for centuries for a reason sellers are often trying their best to hook you with some thing that they say is an innovation , newest , greatest and better then the others . It's up to you to prove to yourself if it really is better . I have at times gone into a store and been told that some thing I wanted would be on sale in a day or two , then gone back to buy it on sale only to find that the price has been marked up and the sale price may be the price it was before and some times a little higher then what it was before but people were buying them left and right because they were on sale . The saying ( keep it simple stupid )" kiss " has also been around a long time for a reason . I have seen on youtube where they said a coyote was howling but when you got to paying attention to it , it was responding to a person with a caller that was howling , modern marvels , I can set things up and swear that they are natural just like they do in movies , and if you haven't been around things to see for your self how will you know the difference !

Marketing at its finest especially in the sporting industry. Without going into too much detail, I was in this business for about 15yrs and I can tell you for a fact, don't believe ANYTHING you see or hear on the web or TV as fact until you are able to sort through the BS. I always try to rely on 1st hand experience from a trusted source or person before I spend my money blindly when it comes to things I don't have the knowledge to decide for myself.

Marketing at its finest especially in the sporting industry. Without going into too much detail, I was in this business for about 15yrs and I can tell you for a fact, don't believe ANYTHING you see or hear on the web or TV as fact until you are able to sort through the BS. I always try to rely on 1st hand experience from a trusted source or person before I spend my money blindly when it comes to things I don't have the knowledge to decide for myself.
Just like Bass Fishing (probably the largest market for any species and type of fishing) .
Every year , the tackle manufacturing companies introduce their "Newest and Greatest" fishing lures , .........

AND THE FISHERMEN KEEP BITING !!!!!!!!

When you stop and look at how far scopes have advanced just since the 1960's and 1970's it's impressive . The coatings on the glass , the glass it's self , the reticles , the tube materials , the the gas filling , the threads for the turrets are more precise . click stops ect. all play an important roll in how they have become a much better product for the most part . I was given an old El Passo Tx. weaver scope once that was a steel tubed scope with a 3/4 " tube . the turrets were made of brass with groves on them and they weren't covered with caps but had spring steel strips that were shaped so as to fit the groves and keep the turrets from moving with out being turned by hand . The erector assembly was also machined from brass and was located near the front of the tube . It did have some adjustment for diopter for individuals eyes . Other then that it was a straight tube and was only a 4 power . The eye relief wasn't much to speak of and with it being so small of a tube didn't lend to ease of getting lined up with it very well and the field of view was poor at best . There was no gas fill so you wanted to keep it dry and it didn't much like large changes in temperatures . Look at the scopes of today and be thankful for all of the advancements that have come about in the last 2 or 3 decades .

Just like Bass Fishing (probably the largest market for any species and type of fishing) .
Every year , the tackle manufacturing companies introduce their "Newest and Greatest" fishing lures , .........

AND THE FISHERMEN KEEP BITING !!!!!!!!
Exactly! I said years ago that most bass lures were designed to catch fishermen, not fish. I guess the hot ticket now is "tactical", a few months ago I saw a advertisement for "tactical" socks. I burst out laughing.

Camo is another one, I worked with a guy that ever time his favorite camo maker came out with a new pattern he bought everything from head to toe.

Last week I was in the house and had the tv on one of the hunting channels. One of the segments was the standard infomercial for one of their sponsors. The product was a scrape kit for whitetail deer, not unusual but this kit had a plastic piece that left a hoof print of a deer in the newly made scrape. Now I've been hunting deer for almost 50 years and for many years I bowhunted hard. Of the many deer over the years I've observed check scrapes it never occurred to me that they were checking for hoof prints to make sure it's real!

Marketing, marketing, marketing! To quote PT Barnum, "there is a fool born every minute".

I have a friend that likes to wander around in pawn shops looking for what he considers bargains . A couple of years ago he came by with one of these bargains . I looked it over and ask him do you know what you have here his reply yea a rifle that's trigger doesn't work but I got it for 250.00 can you put a new trigger in it ? I told him That I would look at it for him and see what was wrong with the trigger and see about finding a new trigger if it really needed one . The next day I took it out of the stock and started checking the trigger out it had a broken screw to adjust the sear engagement , so I went out to my garage and found a screw the right size and machined it to fit with the correct end and nut to lock it in place once set . I put it all back together adjusted to 2.5 lbs. pull weight cleaned every thing . It had a really nice walnut stock , no dents or scrapes , the metal work was excellent and in good shape no rust spots . Over all it look almost like new right out of the shop . It was stamped P.O. Ackley Trinidad Co . and was chambered in 25-06 A.I. . When I ask him do you know who made this rifle he said no . I ask him do you know of P.O.Ackley no was his reply should I ? I just smiled and handed him his rifle then said have Ammi look him up on her computer for you , you'll need a set of dies for that chambering and you can buy some loaded 25-06 rounds to get started shaping them . A few days latter he called me your an a99hole you knew what I had and didn't tell me I could have really messed it all up and made it just what I thought I had just another rifle . I do have fun some times but try not to at the expense of others too much .

Up on the plains of our mountains you will see small patches of stunted willows where there are springs flowing most of the time . There will be a line of willows that also runs beside of the streams from the springs . The grass will grow taller there as well and be a different type often it will be timothy instead of the normal prairie grass' . I was up there one day and a friend of mine pulled me over , he also does coyote control work up there . As we visited he told me of something that he found to be different then he had seen before . He said that the coyote had killed three sheep and that they were in the willows by a spring and a couple of them were in the stream as well . I said I hadn't seen that before either lets go look at it . We went over to this spring and sure enough there the sheep were but it wasn't a place that the sheep normally would bed down or be hanging out . We got to looking them over and found that when we skinned the necks back it wasn't coyote teeth marks he shook his head and said that's one of the first things I should have done I just didn't think of it this time . He had a lion killing this time . And it was dragging them to the privacy of the willows to eat .

How many times have we been out , maybe hunting and maybe just out and about when the magpies , crows ect. have told us about a predator being hidden in some brush or tall grass by just pestering them squawking and diving at them . I have even seen song birds mess with predators .

Last edited:
The sites and sounds of Mother Nature. I try pay as much attention to all this even if it turns out it's just a chipmunk or squirrel making enough noise you would swear it's a bear.....and we don't even have bears around here.....yet lol.