Ramblings and Such From Hunting Coyote

That's the road We took alright .
If I'd known you were coming through I'd treated you to some of the best BBQ in the country.
Geez Justin you would have thought Dave would be social and stopped and visited😳😳👍 jeepers Dave, you could have met the Bean also ........
Yeah, you'd think I smell bad or something. I take a bath once every two weeks even if I don't need it, put on fresh socks too!

DMP25-06 , Just a short hop and skip over to TX . There is some good BBQ back in your part of the world justin61 , I like to hang out by myself quite a bit that way when I get into an argument I always win lol . Years ago I read a magazine called the trapper and predator caller . There was a guy named Gerry Blair who wrote nearly monthly in it . As I recall he was retired AZ. H.P. and didn't believe in being under gunned he carried a 10ga. called it moose dick and a 22-250 for calling . Back in the 80's I read his articles as often as I could .

I read a lot of things that I'm interested in and when I find something that I might want to know more about I'll find as much study material as I can on the subject . In todays world sometimes it's hard to find accurate information so for me I'll read a lot of different articles and do my best to sort it out in that way . Some of the magazines that I used to read on coyote hunting and calling were Fur Fish and Game , The Trapper And Predator Caller , Predator Xtreme . One I haven't read is called Predator Hunting . As with all other things they have things that held my interest and things that I really wasn't interested in .

Back several years ago I got a call from a guy that told me we had the gov. fly for coyote yesterday they got a female that had pups didn't get the male or the pups . They wanted me to see if you would come and locate the male for the plane . A lot of people would have gotten upset at being ask to help somebody else to come in and kill coyote . I said no problem I'll come out and see if I can locate him . We went out the next morning he gave me a radio and said this is the channel the plane will be on so I went out and got set up . After about 30 minutes the pilot came on and said he was 20 mikes out I rodgered that and began howling the old dog and pups answered after the second set of howls . He started coming in to me . I suspect he may have thought I was the missing female as they had picked her up and carried her out . He worked his way in to around 500 yards when he stopped looked around and laid down by a sage brush then I heard the plane . It called me and I told it where the coyote was on it's heading they made a pass but didn't see it . I told them to come around again watched them and told them it would be off their starboard side and gave them a mark as they passed over him . They gave me a got it and came around again I heard two shots and a we got him then they asked where the h123 are you we can't even find you I told them and as they passed over I stood up for them . That was the first time I worked with the gov plane they asked me if I knew where the den was and I told them I had heard them and would go take it so they said they had some others to take care of and would be back in a couple of hours and would land on such and such road they wanted to talk to me . I went took the den and went to the location they had ask me to meet them at after a while they came in made a pass over circled around to land . They got out and we introduced our selves visited awhile and the gunner ask me if he could call me to ground crew for him again I smiled and said I guess so . I then was told he was the district manager for wild life services . I guess it was an interview of sorts to see if I was any good . Training from the past had given me some knowledge of working with air craft and coyote . We worked together for quite a while till they told me I couldn't kill feral or other dogs that were killing livestock .

A lot of years back I was riding with an older pilot in the chopper . We had 6 or 8 inch's of fresh snow on the ground so the tracks were showing up good . the sun was shinning so good sun glass's were needed to keep from going snow blind and that made the tracks show up better . We were flying along when the pilot slowed and started following a set of tracks I looked out ahead and told him these aren't coyote tracks they are bobcat tracks . He ask how would you know that we haven't seen an animal yet . Because coyote line out and go straight most times and cats just kind of meander around a lot . He goes really I never paid that much attention to that lets find out we went on about a mile and up front was the bobcat standing looking back at us . We picked up a set of tracks that were lined out going straight north and began following them they went into the tracks of a heard of sheep well we lost them he said . I told him to go on past the sheep and make a wide circle to the north where we then picked up the tracks again flew them and spotted the coyote running out ahead of us . we took him and then went on searching for more tracks . When we got back to the hanger he tells me so how did you know all this stuff about tracking coyote and cats . By doing it on the ground I told him . Why didn't any one explain it to me before then was the next question . Because of your age and experience as a pilot they just went along for the ride to gun for you figuring you were doing what you do and I'm here to kill your problem not just for a ride in your chopper . He just shook his head smiled and said thank you for being blunt and to the point I've wasted a lot of time and money in the past . He has long since passed on , a good man gone now , he taught me things as well .

This morning I was looking at my E-Mails and had one from Nosler as I had signed up for them . They had an interesting line that said 5 tips for safely navigating any range so I decided to look at it . It was aimed at first time gun owners and people that had never been to the range and was very good information as well as a good refresher and reminder for all of us going to the range . It was on YouTube titled First Trip to the Shooting Range with Randy Newberg . So then when we have younger people that we want to teach about fire arms and shooting things like this are often helpful for me in that endeavor as for some reason the young people around me tend to want to listen better to people they don't know over someone they are around all of the time . I like to watch a guy on there that's called GunBlue490 as well he's kind of enjoyable to listen to being a retired police armor he's pretty opinionated in some areas but he for sure knows his Smith and Wesson revolvers they are an interesting piece and some of them are quite expensive unless they have been incorrectly maintained then the price can be dropped by 1/3 rd or more . A good original 44mag of the Dirty Harry era can be worth in the range of 4000.00-5000.00 if it's in top condition with the wooden case but if it's rusted or been taken apart with the screw slots slopped out ect. the price may drop to 400.00 . I have the screw drivers that I made to fit those screw heads tightly with the sides rounded so as not to cause damage to the surrounding metal for when I work on them yep I'm anal about it when I work on one and I only do it for myself or close friends I won't even clean my son's for him he sends his back to S&W for any thing but cleaning .

Last edited:
It is Memorial Day Weekend again . For most of the older ones among us it's the time of the year that we take the time to reflect on all of the people that gave their lives so that we here in the United States can live the lives that we do . It seems that for the younger people here in the United States it's a time to go out and have a party weekend and bring in the coming summer and the true meaning has been forgotten or never learned . Life has changed so much in our Country in just a few short years . Well maybe it just seems like a few years if I think about it it's been since the 60's so around 60 years . Time does fly by when your young and trying to raise a family doesn't it . I don't really care where you or your ancestors came from please take the time to reflect on what this day was set aside for in the first place and try your best to show some respect for our Great Country then share that with a younger person or people . Thank You for your tolerance and understanding but that doesn't mean that we should just stand back and listen to others that want to be disrespectful of The United States nor does it mean that we should be violent with those that are being that way . A couple of years back I was standing in line at my pharmacy when this woman started disrespecting my country about how badly our medical and pharmacy system was compared to to the one in her country . I told her camly that she might think about going back to it then . Not being very attentive she kept on complaining . I told her then that she shouldn't let the gate hit her in the --- on her way back to her country . Still she persisted and kept disrespecting my Country . I then calmly got my note pad and pen out held it out toward her and asked her to please write the address of where she would like her remains sent . She let her lips flap a little more then it sank in and she went quiet turned a lighter shade said something about having other pressing issues to take care of and left . The lady behind her smiled and quietly said I think she may of had to go to the restroom to clean up . Have a good safe and enjoyable week end .

It is Memorial Day Weekend again . For most of the older ones among us it's the time of the year that we take the time to reflect on all of the people that gave their lives so that we here in the United States can live the lives that we do . It seems that for the younger people here in the United States it's a time to go out and have a party weekend and bring in the coming summer and the true meaning has been forgotten or never learned . Life has changed so much in our Country in just a few short years . Well maybe it just seems like a few years if I think about it it's been since the 60's so around 60 years . Time does fly by when your young and trying to raise a family doesn't it . I don't really care where you or your ancestors came from please take the time to reflect on what this day was set aside for in the first place and try your best to show some respect for our Great Country then share that with a younger person or people . Thank You for your tolerance and understanding but that doesn't mean that we should just stand back and listen to others that want to be disrespectful of The United States nor does it mean that we should be violent with those that are being that way . A couple of years back I was standing in line at my pharmacy when this woman started disrespecting my country about how badly our medical and pharmacy system was compared to to the one in her country . I told her camly that she might think about going back to it then . Not being very attentive she kept on complaining . I told her then that she shouldn't let the gate hit her in the --- on her way back to her country . Still she persisted and kept disrespecting my Country . I then calmly got my note pad and pen out held it out toward her and asked her to please write the address of where she would like her remains sent . She let her lips flap a little more then it sank in and she went quiet turned a lighter shade said something about having other pressing issues to take care of and left . The lady behind her smiled and quietly said I think she may of had to go to the restroom to clean up . Have a good safe and enjoyable week end .

DAVE ,

TO YOU , AND ALL OTHERS WHO HAVE SERVED ,
THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE , THE SACRIFICES THAT YOU HAVE MADE and ENDURED , AND YOUR LOVE AND RESPECT FOR THIS WONDERFUL COUNTRY OF OURS ,
THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA .

DMP25-06

Recent Posts